Author Topic: Has anyone upgraded to Windows 8 yet?  (Read 36136 times)

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone upgraded to Windows 8 yet?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2014, 01:03:49 PM »
I put back on windows 7 on all my machines

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2014, 03:11:26 PM »
Man I need to do that too!   Win 8.1 pro still requires you to spend another $10 to enable Media Center.   What a horrible experience.  I can't wait to review it on Amazon..
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Boydon

• ScriptUO Beta Tester
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Boydon has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2014, 04:26:11 AM »
Windows 9 is rumored to be announced by the end of September: maybe it will be better...
Member of the Stealth development team.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2014, 06:37:38 AM »
Windows 9 is rumored to be announced by the end of September: maybe it will be better...
The "odd" versions have always been much better historically than the even!

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »

Like Gimlet said, there is hope that the upcoming version will be better.  Honestly, it's like they have 2 different dev teams.  The first one designs the sucky versions.  They must take those devs and lock them up in the Microsoft Evil Tower for "re-programming" and hand-off the disaster to the second team who must clean it up.  Win8 and the usability "bumper sticker" for 8.1 are just horrible.  Man, I can't understand how this POS got through their focus groups.  Technically it seems to be OK and works pretty well, but my goodness what a stinky pile of crap from the usability end of things.

BTW:

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=Bt2Y970cE__
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:09:13 AM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Sardorn

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sardorn has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 06:37:34 AM »
Ok. I just made the plunge into a new system that Had Win8 included. I am using it. It has a [size=350pt]BIG[/size] learning Curve. I mean BIG. But anyways I am running as Admin but can not get EasyUO to see my Client. Anyone run into this? Help?

I've had a similar issue with Win8.1 and curious if anyone has any help...Lost my big bad gaming machine due to a drop of water (literally a drop...one single freaking drop!) and since I'm not a builder or programer I'm pretty much stuck with whatever I can afford from Dell, this time some crappy little tower with just enough umph to run my household programs as well as 1 or 2 selected games so as to keep me from going completely insane and turning into some Facebook game junky like my wife. To add insult to injury, I had to go with the cheaper tower which had 8.1 since they're charging more for anything with 7 now.
After a lot of cussing and swearing, googling, trial and error, questions here and there, I was finally able to get UO to run, yay! Fired up Easy UO and hopped on my miner, my favorite script being Cyberpopes Mining radar. As I'm not to the level of script writing to combine all my scripts I have a total of 4 that I run..my beetle smelter, my blackrock dropper and my ingot/gem organizer along with the radar. The only one that will not work is the Mining Radar. It will run but I do not get the window with the mining "squares". Any Windows 8.1 experts who ran into this and were able to fix it due to their immense programing prowess?

Details:
Windows 8.1
Running most recent version of EasyUO compatible with current patch
Ran as Admin initially, everything but Radar works
Tried also compatibility mode for XP and 7
Ran above directly from the installed file as well as from the desktop shortcut (yeah, sounds dumb but was grasping at straws)

Help?

Tags: