Author Topic: [UO Herald News] Producer's Update - June 2010  (Read 6273 times)

Offline Spaz FerretTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    2.4%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Spaz Ferret has no influence.
  • I LIKE COFFEE!!
  • Respect: +13
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
[UO Herald News] Producer's Update - June 2010
« on: June 24, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »
Producer's Update - June 2010

The developer/player relationship is an interesting one.  There is a delicate balance between the developer as player, developer as psychologist, and developer as creator/annihilator.  We have to balance each one of them in order to maximize what each of you think is acceptable.
  As players of our own game, we have a passion and interest for the legacy of Ultima Online, and how we interpret that and convey it through story, or prioritizing what systems and bugs to fix.  We then think about what the player wants.  Next, as creators and annihilators, we remove and add as necessary.  Not unlike chefs, sometimes the mix of ingredients is acceptable, sometimes bitter and unpleasant.  However, if we want you to return we’ll keep improving our skills.
  This summer we’ve chosen to take the story arc a different direction. So often it’s been easy to show you good, and say “Hey, this is good, we are all good-natured at heart, this is obviously what life is about … “

http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=1062

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: [UO Herald News] Producer's Update - June 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 03:07:40 PM »

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 04:41:52 AM »
We are updating treasure maps: updating the items in each level, and varying the skill level needed for lockpicking.  Also, Logrus is putting together something spicy that will give Treasure chest an interesting little challenge.
OMG T-Hunter love?!?!?!? I might actually play a little bit again!

I hope they don't destroy the ability for a t-hunter to solo high level maps in the process.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 05:46:44 AM »
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 08:19:07 PM »
I actually read it as "we are tracking 3pps that work using the client."  IE EUO.

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »
EUO doesn't do anything to the client, it just reads it and sends responses that emulate user responses, albeit much more quickly.

What I think they can track related to UO is the multi client and I wonder if that is what they are talking about.

Is there a good way to multi client without triggering the new(ish) UO pop-up?  I am sure they can track that...
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »
Why would they be tracking that being that you can multi-client with the EC client and you could with UOKR as well...

There is no warning whatsoever with the EC Client when I open more than one client however everytime I open a 2nd or 3rd client via EUO I'm getting the "Running two instances of Ultima Online at once is an UNSUPPORTED feature. This will not work on some systems and it not supported by Mythic Tech Support".

I'm calling shennagins and betting that whatever information their tracking...it came back in such a high volume that there not sure what action to take, if any. We'll see in a few more months. I'm just wondering what there waiting for as they've already acknowledged they've tracked some data.

If they do end up dropping the axe they could wind up taking their own two feet with them. 8)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:52:03 PM by Ultima »

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 10:26:10 PM »
At this point, I almost wish they would.  Getting pretty bored when I can't muster enough interest to play in the invasion...

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 02:37:17 AM »
You can multi-client now with both clients. I don't believe it is even a breach of ToS any longer.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 05:22:20 AM »
I got a feeling that the only thing they can/will do anything about is things like the stump hack, speeder, CE. I seriously doubt the will catch any scriptorz, or even have the means to catch any scriptorz since all we are doing is using a program to make keystrokes (which the whole game is based on anyway)! 
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 06:04:45 AM »
Speedhacking is my biggest concern in game. Honestly, I don't use any scripts unless I'm training characters.

TopTwo, do you really think they would go after something as crazy as art mods? That is my one passion in game. lol I love making my fields look crazy using photoshop and what not.

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • JustAnotherFace has no influence.
  • My new toy....
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 09:48:31 AM »

I'm calling shennagins and betting that whatever information their tracking...it came back in such a high volume that there not sure what action to take, if any. We'll see in a few more months. I'm just wondering what there waiting for as they've already acknowledged they've tracked some data.

If they do end up dropping the axe they could wind up taking their own two feet with them. 8)

I agree with Ultima.  I think that they got their first dumps of data back and they looked at it and said "Holy S***!  We knew there were scriptors, but we didnt realize that 85% + of the players run scripts.  Guys, what are we going to do?  We can't ban them all, if we do we will all be out of jobs.  I know, lets just tell them that we got some data back but we are still analyzing it, then we can figure out a way to try to gracefully get out of this pile of poo we fell into."

JaF
All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 09:57:04 AM »

I agree with Ultima.  I think that they got their first dumps of data back and they looked at it and said "Holy S***!  We knew there were scriptors, but we didnt realize that 85% + of the players run scripts.  Guys, what are we going to do?  We can't ban them all, if we do we will all be out of jobs.  I know, lets just tell them that we got some data back but we are still analyzing it, then we can figure out a way to try to gracefully get out of this pile of poo we fell into."

JaF

This is the jist of it and now they are waiting to see if all the whiners (10% left) are just going to forget about it and in the mean time they will continue to make excuses like we are still processing the data or we are 4/5 done with the program to destroy scripting or we just need to put in place the "end" statement for our program and that will be done by december 2012 so it should not be long before we stamp out scripters. LOL
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:59:53 AM by Masscre »

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »
December 2012?!?!? lol

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 10:35:35 AM »
Look at EA's track record if you dont agree with the 2012 date !!

Tags: