Author Topic: Monitor Glare  (Read 2853 times)

Offline SunTigressTopic starter

• TopTwo's Woman
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • SunTigress has no influence.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Monitor Glare
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:06:22 PM »
I have to start by saying "I HATE GLOSSY SCREENS!" >:(

That being said, my laptop is a glossy screen, because I was told "we don't make mat screens anymore." :(

I hate it. I can't use it outside, and if I'm working on a group project, my group-members must be sitting in weird spots so they can see, all because of the glare.

My mother mentioned "anti-glare screen covers" that you can put over your screen to cut glare, but she didn't know anything else beyond that.

So, I have decided to ask the experts.
Would these screen covers solve my problem? If not, can anyone recommend something that will?

Thanks!
ST
If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then give up. There is no use in making a fool of yourself.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: Monitor Glare
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:32:51 PM »
I used to hate glossy screens, but having used one for 2 years now, I must say that I actually like it more than the matte ones. The colors are just a million times better, especially for watching movies!

P.S. The anti-glare screens are bulky and look stupid. Fellowes makes some (cheap ones) as do many other companies, but they don't help viewing angle at all!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
Im 100% with you i cannot stand those glossy screens. Good for movie watching but anything else complete garbage, even indoors their trash.

Of course they make machines without glossy screens.  Unfortunatly from what i see you have to step up to much higher grade laptops. So what they should have probably said is no discount laptop comes without a glossy screen.

As to what can be done to make them better i have no idea as the only machine i ever had with one i returned after 2 days.
(I believe the screen technology thats not glossy, and is outdoor viewable is WXGA .. but im not 100% on that)
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:24:42 AM »
Fellows and other makers also have them.  But just do a search on Ebay.  They make a anti glare cover that goes on your screen and some even have a tint in them, but they stick on your screen by static like the screen covers you get for your touch PDA's and PPC's.  You have to mention your monitor size and PC brand when ordering them.  They also have some you can cut yourself.  You order the precut ones and then you can trim them down on the preforations as needed.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:26:16 AM by Masscre »

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:35:39 AM »
Fellows and other makers also have them.  But just do a search on Ebay.  They make a anti glare cover that goes on your screen and some even have a tint in them, but they stick on your screen by static like the screen covers you get for your touch PDA's and PPC's.  You have to mention your monitor size and PC brand when ordering them.  They also have some you can cut yourself.  You order the precut ones and then you can trim them down on the preforations as needed.

Do you think they have one that'll fit my monitor, it's 62".  :D
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:40:58 AM »
The largest I could find was 19".

Tags: