Author Topic: Sandbox games.  (Read 9455 times)

Offline dxromTopic starter

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Sandbox games.
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:45:04 AM »
Seeing this sub getting a little hot, I figured I would take that opportunity and praise the genre of sandbox mmos and shove EVE Online into all of your pixels :>

Honestly I could write up a wall of text that will put even that great thing of whatever in China to shame regarding this subject and EVE Online, and I was in the process of doing so when I came across a video on the subject that actually sums up most of what my wall of text would consist of.

Here it is:

Now then after that I thought it might be fitting to go into detail what I actually do in EVE Online, which is PvP almost strictly. In more detail however, I run in one of the most well known and notable Alliances within the game itself, we're not known as one of the super alliances infact we're one of the smaller ones and we specialize specifically in guerrilla type warfare (with a very high rate of success) as well as capital/super-capital ganking and in general are known as a group of player who often fight far outnumbered. When I say smaller alliance, you have to keep in mind that when we form for CTA (Call to arms) in the USTZ (Our main timezone, however we also operate in EUTZ, AUTZ and even RUSTZ) we get anywhere from 90-200 people, individual people, from our alliance for these. Again I point out "SMALLER ALLIANCE" as we have fought with ~240 people against upwards of ~900 people on not-so-rare basis. I am in the alliance Black Legion.

This name may mean nothing to you if you don't actually play the game, as I said we're not a super alliance, and even if you don't play the game you are probably familiar with names like Pandemic Legion,  Goonswarm Federation, Razor Alliance, and TEST Alliance (IE: Super Alliances) However you might be familiar with some of our exploits like http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/08/ship-destroyed-in-eve-online-worth-approximately-8-000/ and the role we've played in multiple high escalation super-capital fights. Hell, you might even be familiar with our epic failure and losing 30 super-capitals which you can see here:

or even just all out brawling capitals with a super alliance (Razor Alliance)

One thing I can say is, there are some things that are truly great and reach such epic place in this world when it comes to gaming, and with my alliance I got to be a part of that just last week in the battle of B-R5RB.
http://evenews24.com/2014/01/29/dev-blog-the-bloodbath-of-b-r5rb-gamings-most-destructive-battle-ever/

The week before this as well yielded a high escalation super-capital fight (albeit not as large as the one above) but again, my alliance was a part of that as well, yet again as a contributing force. (Unfortunately my internet was out for this one).

Anyways, that's all I have to say about the subject for now. It's late after all! However if you would like to look at more pvp videos from my alliance's point of view (recorded by our people) you can check out these channels:

https://www.youtube.com/user/JoachimWeissEve/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/billyjoel22359/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/xidjazulix/videos

Also, how could I forget the single most controversial fleet doctrine that we created which shook the ground of every super/mega alliance in eve and forced them to change the way they fight. The Doomcat/Doom Portal doctrine.

Also some actual footage from the B-R5RB fight:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:03:49 AM by dxrom »

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Offline camotbik

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • camotbik has no influence.
  • Hello! I'm a UO addict.
  • Respect: +38
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sandbox games.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 05:43:14 AM »
Eve online pvp, or even the gameplay seems a bit strange. Looks like it could run on a phone, but checking the download size I was stunned.
What you witness -- is whatver..
uogamers hybrid.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:32:35 AM »

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:18:19 AM »
Also this:

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 05:37:35 AM »
From what I understand though, it is the ultimate in risk vs reward. You could spend months working on a ship and then have it destroyed. I am not sure that there is enough anger management in the world for me to play that game.

Offline Bookwyrm

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Bookwyrm has no influence.
  • Better Civilization Through Medication
  • Respect: +34
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 06:38:06 PM »
. You could spend months working on a ship and then have it destroyed.

Umm.. Yes and No. If you have worked the amount of time it takes to either build or buy your dream ship you should have developed your resource (i.e. minerals to build it or ISK (credits) to buy it.) gather capabilities. Keep in mind you can insure the craft you fly to offset some small part of your loss. Also, if you spent that much time acquiring the ship hopefully you learned how/where to fly it too. If you stay to high security systems you risk of loss is minimal. If, however, as soon as you get your sparkly new ship out of station and then proceed directly to low security space without the backup and the knowledge on how to stay safe? Well you deserve what happens to you ;).

In UO terms. If you were fresh out of Haven on a brand new character, would you load it up with expensive gear and run straight to the backwoods of Fel?

There are groups out there that will teach you how to protect yourself and your ships. These guys are great and I have been to several of their classes. http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/forum/2-enrollment/
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:03:09 PM »
There are also a great deal many alliances out there that specialize specifically in the new member developments. EVE University, RvB Federation, BRAVE Newbies Inc. All are geared towards new players joining them and being taught the ins and outs of the game. EVE University is pretty diverse in what they teach, which is literally anything you might find interesting in EVE Online. RvB and BNI are mainly pvp orientated.

And yes, there is a lot of risk to the game, you're never truly 100% safe in space in your spaceship. I've ganked my fair share of JFs and Freighters in high security space. :>

https://zkillboard.com/detail/34987069/
https://zkillboard.com/detail/34987584/
https://zkillboard.com/detail/34986006/

to throw out a few from one of my chrs.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ximan has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:26:23 AM »
Seeing this sub getting a little hot, I figured I would take that opportunity and praise the genre of sandbox mmos and shove EVE Online into all of your pixels :>

Any scripting opportunities?

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 10:48:06 AM »

Any scripting opportunities?

Not that I've ever taken advantage of, but yes there are bots and stuffs.. if you're good with python you could prolly make your own bot for it via injection. But injection is pretty easy to get caught with from what I hear, other botting is like OCR stuffs. Again, I don't have much experience in that area :X

Some of us actually enjoy playing games :>

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 07:35:27 PM »

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

Tags: