Author Topic: Best method to get the focus back on the client?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline GrandewdTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Grandewd has no influence.
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Best method to get the focus back on the client?
« on: September 16, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
If you use EUO Menu's, then you are familiar with the fact that when you click a button, the act of doing so takes your "focus" off of the client window. So if you're using a button to do something like, oh say - Provoke something - then your first click will be to get your "focus" back on the client window, before you can click on your targets. It's taken a while for this to become annoying to me, but now it is.

My question is: What's the best way to include in your script getting the client window's "focus" back? Right now I'm just doing a single click on the client window to accomplish this. Isn't there a more "elegant" way?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Best method to get the focus back on the client?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »
Probably the best way is to avoid clicking off the client if you can help it.  Instead of interacting with a menu, consider intercepting a keypress by your script.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline GrandewdTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Grandewd has no influence.
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »
Probably the best way is to avoid clicking off the client if you can help it.  Instead of interacting with a menu, consider intercepting a keypress by your script.

I agree, and when I'm surrounded by things determined to reduce me to rubble - I have my keys ready... But, the vast majority of my time in-game is doing stuff that allows me to kick back with only my mouse arm extended and click on a lot of things I do most often...  And I consider provoking the easy stuff as one of those activities that I enjoy using a menu for...

So, while I appreciate your very good advice regarding leaving the client window (and I agree completely with the basic concept) - I'd still love to know if there's a better way then just having EUO click the screen?

Oh, and while I have your attention TM - here's a question:

Is it considered in "bad taste" to post a script both here and on EUO?
 :-X
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:24:17 PM by Grandewd »

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 06:40:16 PM »
That was really my only solution.  I've been in your shoes before, it's not really possible with the available control that EUO gives you.  Now if you don't mind having another program running, you might be able to whip up a quick .NET program that will monitor your open windows and basically keep the client focused.

And for your question, as long as you're the author of the script, then it's totally up to you where you put your stuff.  Sometimes it's easier to just keep it in one place, and for that links work great.  So posting at EasyUO, and linking here is perfectly good way to do it if you don't want to maintain two copies.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: