Author Topic: ScriptUO Skin & Toolbar Minimizing  (Read 7878 times)

Offline GiovanniMonosTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • GiovanniMonos has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
ScriptUO Skin & Toolbar Minimizing
« on: June 12, 2009, 04:39:32 PM »
Two quick questions.

First one is about ScriptUO's skin... is there a simple way to change it?  We all have our own tastes for setting up the look and feel of a program or our desktop or whatever.  I prefer an older style look - I'm not sure how I'd describe it but but I like a simple and plain interface.  This has zero impact on my ability to make scripts, I'm just curious.

The second question, which I believe may be directed specifically at TrailMyx since he's the sole coder of the program, is it at all possible to add the ability to minimize ScriptUO to the toolbar?  I know there a thirdparty programs that help with this sort of thing for programs that don't support it internally, but I was wondering if that would be an option you'd be able to add or even want to add in the nearish future?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: ScriptUO Skin & Toolbar Minimizing
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:48:33 PM »
I have been working on recently on a configuration section.  I haven't been very inspired lately because I've had a couple script projects I've been working on instead.  I still love writing scripts.  ;)

It's coming, just not all that fast.  :)

As for toolbar minimization, it's kinda built into .NET and I deliberately left if locked because I didn't want to answer the "where'd my toolbar go?" questions.  :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:50:22 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
I understand 100% the importance of being inspired in a project to want to work on it, so no need to explain that any further. :)

Sorry TrailMyx, I wasn't asking about the toolbar in ScriptUO that is locked up at the top of the interface.  I typed "toolbar" instead of "systray" for reasons that are beyond me.  I'm wondering if you can add the feature to minimize ScriptUO to the system tray.  I really programs that offer that option and was hoping you'd be able to add it to ScriptUO when you feel inspired.  Thanks!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:29:18 PM »
I'm wondering if you can add the feature to minimize ScriptUO to the system tray. 

Ah, systray!  Yeh, that's easy to add.  I'll put that on the list.  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:53:24 PM »
I like the new buttons some program have now..
. = system tray
_ = Minimize
- = Maximize

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 01:49:26 AM »
TrailMyx, thank you for putting systray on the todo list.  At the risk of sounding greedy with requests...

I've seen programs that Khameleon is talking about and it is a nice functionality, in my opinion.  If that's an easy add, being able to turn that on and off in the options menu would be great.

Also in terms of adding systray functionality - I saw another idea I liked in a program I can't think of right now.  In the options menu it allowed the user to minimize to systray, minimize to both the systray and the taskbar or not minimize to systray at all.  I liked having all three options, depending on what I was doing.

As far the ScriptUO skins go... my favorite text editor right now NotePad++ which has a classic looking, simple tabbed layout for it's interface.  Do you think adding a skin to ScriptUO that looks like that would be easy to do?

One last question about the interface.  Do you think that having a user defined color set will be coming sooner than later?

I'm not at all sure how much input you want from all the users about features and functionality for ScriptUO, but I've just found that developing is easier when the environment is customized to the programmer's personal preference.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 03:06:20 AM »
The layout as it stands now is kinda driven by the basic controls currently in .NET.  I don't really plan on deviating much from the controls or layout that's currently implemented.  So easy to do, no.

At one point, color saving worked well but when I implemented the new text control, that kinda broke.  Fixing it has been difficult, but will definitely work again once I can finish the necessary work involved with being able to save your setup and options.

At this point, I'm not trying to emulate any single type of interface.  I've used probably 20 different debugging interfaces/editors over the years, and I've been picking the best features from each.  Multiedit is one of the best ones I've ever used for programming (tag recognition/stacked jumping by tag and live searching).  Notepad++ is my current favorite free one and my default editor for just about anything I do.  However, there's a couple things in notpad++ that aren't as intuitive as they can be (text searching for example).  Also the context menu(right mouse click) is missing important stuff by default.

So I do appreciate the input feedback for the interface, but I'm not sure I'll be messing much with the look and feel.  I'm more interested in features and whether they have been logically implemented and work correctly.  Dockable/hidable tabs is gonna be something I will do at some point.  I already started that work with the hidden debug output.  I haven't done the tabs yet simply because they are used so much (at least by me) that it really hasn't been required since I'm always warping from tag to tag looking for stuff.

The fun thing about this project for me is that ScriptUO is a tool I actually use on a daily basis, so if something annoys you - chances are it's already annoyed me.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: