Author Topic: replacment parts for xbox 360?  (Read 12033 times)

Offline bodfatherTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
replacment parts for xbox 360?
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
+1
  My mini me gamer boy fried his xbox 360. The game shop clown said the processor was fried and wanted to keep it to "dispose of it" for me but i'm wondering if there's any way possible to fix this?

I know somebody here knows all about this stuff and will tell me the truth.

Thanks!!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
Re: replacment parts for xbox 360?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 02:45:38 PM »
+1
It is done.  The cost to replace would be the same cost to buy. 360s will get cheaper probably now that the Xbox One came out.  How do you know the processor fried though?  Is it a 3 ring of death?
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »
+1
It is done.  The cost to replace would be the same cost to buy. 360s will get cheaper probably now that the Xbox One came out.  How do you know the processor fried though?  Is it a 3 ring of death?

Yeah lol. It's the red ring of death. I was hoping for a cheap fix but the guy at the shop took it apart and confirmed the processor.

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »
+1
if it is 3 rings. It is not the processor.  If you get the E79 code it is the processor.   What you need to do. Take apart the 360.  unplug the fan.  Run it until the 3 ring turns into 2 rings.  Then put it back together and turn it on.  It should now run and will give you a message about overheating.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »
+1
This is the Ghetto way, but should get it running again...
(Mind you I buy 360's by the pallet broken, fix and resell, last pallet was 80)

1. Turn it on.
2. Take a hair dryer, HIGH heat LOW SPEED.
3. Point it into the rear vents about 6" away from it, depending on strength of heat from blow dryer.
4. Keep an eye on the rear plastic and try not to melt it (Its easy to do when you get it real hot, and that is what you want to do here.)
5. After about 2-2.5 minutes place your palm on the top of the 360, make sure it got nice and hot in there, we want over 100c right around to 110c the melting point of the solder is like 126c.  Dont worry you wont break it worse.
6. While the hair dryer is still running turn off the 360 and back on (Remember you want to be heating it up while its running not while its off).  If it dont boot continue turning it off and back on until it does.  That should reset the internal protection.

;)

WTF didnt post!  Better this time!
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »
+1
This is the Ghetto way, but should get it running again...
(Mind you I buy 360's by the pallet broken, fix and resell, last pallet was 80)

1. Turn it on.
2. Take a hair dryer, HIGH heat LOW SPEED.
3. Point it into the rear vents about 6" away from it, depending on strength of heat from blow dryer.
4. Keep an eye on the rear plastic and try not to melt it (Its easy to do when you get it real hot, and that is what you want to do here.)
5. After about 2-2.5 minutes place your palm on the top of the 360, make sure it got nice and hot in there, we want over 100c right around to 110c the melting point of the solder is like 126c.  Dont worry you wont break it worse.
6. While the hair dryer is still running turn off the 360 and back on (Remember you want to be heating it up while its running not while its off).  If it dont boot continue turning it off and back on until it does.  That should reset the internal protection.

;)

WTF didnt post!  Better this time!

Your way does work Coragin, but i have found it doesn't last as long for some reason.  When i overheat it naturally it seems to re solder any parts that needed to go.  The 3 ring prevents damage to the GPU when it overheats.  So then you just need to overheat the processor which is the 2 ring.  Once it 2 rings then you have reset the internal protection. The last one i did this on lasted 6 months before needing it done again.  However each xbox is different.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:25:02 PM »
+1
So is it the solder broken from the heat sink?

I read about that earlier and planned on trying the Xclamp fix kit before trashing it.

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
+1
If you do the xclamp fix, you have now just limited the amount of time your console is going to really run for.  The best way is to try the overheat reset first.  If you still get alot of problems after that you will have to do some changes.  If it comes to that i can recommend the changes is for you and how to fix that.  It is about a $15 fix buying the stuff for it.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »
+1
  Ok ill try the overheat fix then.

Hey man thanks a TON! I'll let ya know how it does.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »
+1
So the xclamp is really just 4 screws?  Lol. That's ingenious!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »
+1
So the xclamp is really just 4 screws?  Lol. That's ingenious!

Yep.  pretty much.

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 04:08:25 PM »
+1
Its cheap solder balls, non-leaded kind.  They form hairs that touch adjacent solder balls (all under this CPU/GPU chip).  This method should get you going.
Coragin

My Facebook

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 04:18:04 PM »
+1
Interesting phenomenon..

http://nepp.nasa.gov/WHISKER/background/index.htm

But BGA soldering issues are pretty common, however they easy to manage with x-ray Q/C.   Poor quality control is the real problem...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:19:53 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »
+1
bodfather were you able to get your xbox 360 running again?

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • It Is What It Is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 04:20:30 PM »
+1
TM I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt (on fixing that is) I re-ball the chips, I got all the equipment to do it.  And I replace the non-leaded with leaded solder balls and leaded based flux paste, never ever has a problem again.

X-Clamp is 4 screws and 8 washers for each heatsink, it is supposed to fix it so no more flexing from the xclamps, although I have seen them come back 100x worse because of it. Overtightening is the biggest issue, people forget you should only put enough tension on them to snug it.  Too many people torque them down with the force of thor.

And yeah bodfather, howd it work?
Coragin

My Facebook

Tags: