Author Topic: New Gaming Rig for me in the works. BF4 / UO lol. thoughts / suggestions?  (Read 5131 times)

Offline AlphaTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
OK...   So my 3.5 year old Phenom II x 6 (~2.6 Ghz)just isn't doing it for me any more & when the Radeon HD 5750(1 Gig) died on me a few weeks ago It just made me REALLY want to do a new build.   The computer would primarily be for BF4 / UO and general home use.   I'm 300+ Hrs deep into BF4 & hadn't touched UO in a few months but the urge is still there.  If I'm not scripting something in UO I just feel like I'm missing out hehe.

So...   with all that said I talked with my friend who's a Senior Tech Manager at Nvidia & he's got me all hyped up about upgrading from my 5 year old 60 Hz. monitor to a 120 Hz 1080p gaming setup.  I'm pretty convinced that the difference from 60 - 120 fps will be amazing from all the reading I've done and lets be honest because I was getting 45-60 at best FPS on the LOWEST settings in BF4 LoL..   I can't imagine how much more addictive it might be at Ultra'ish settings and buttery smooth 120 fps (though that's the HARD part.)

Here's what I've got so far... The Max is $2,000 and ideall a few hundred Cheaper would make the Wife happy.  I realize the EVGA gtx 780 TI SC + ACX is insanely expensive but it's really the only card that I've managed to look up that people are claiming 120 FPS / 1080p @ Ultra (minus a few settings...)

Also..  Mild OC for the CPU for sure though that will be my first try at this and possibly for the GPU but all of this will probably require some additional Fan upgrades which can wait for a future date.

I plan to reuse my Blueray / Burner & I have 7200 1.5 TB that I will pair up with the SSD..   Really looking forward to SSD load speeds heh.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3z08K
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.98 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($149.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($728.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($269.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1958.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-27 18:27 EDT-0400)

So..   My current thoughts...

1) Wish it was less $$$.
2) When does the gtx 780 ti price drop??  When the gtx 790 comes out so I hear.. but when is that?  (friend claims to have no info lol)
3) I've read Higher Speed Ram effects frames in Bf4 but only if GPU / CPU aren't the bottleneck...
4)  Hmm...  Memorial Day Sales for parts perhaps?  May 26th ... bleh month wait but I guess if decent sales are available could make the wife happy $$$ wise...
5)  Thoughts on FPS Shooters are 120 Hz vs 60 Hz?   I'm pretty convinced it should be amazing but I'll be honest that's just bc I trust my tech friend and all the Bf4 Youtubers seem to go that way heh.

Thoughts?  Thx..

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
I still miss my Iyama 27" tube monitor.  :(

I need to give BF4 another try.  Interesting game, but the multiplayer is maddening.  I hate sneaking around.  I have to run around with my hair on fire and kill things.  heheh
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:17:22 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Think about it like this... Literally any graphics dependent game you build a computer around (specifically or generally) will run UO. Simple as that.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Offline AlphaTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Yea I realize that dx....   
BF4 / UO lol. 
  I just think it's funny that for myself cutting edge newest games are just as appealing as old as dirt UO heh.

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Very nice! I built something almost identical but I went with the GTX 760 instead

Tags: