Author Topic: My new Ryzen build  (Read 57438 times)

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
Re: My new Ryzen build
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 08:55:13 AM »
I was going to try the integrated graphics to see how well they perform before going on to a bigger graphics card. I like to test things like that :)
Hmm, everywhere I read says that the Ryzen 7 doesn't include integrated graphics, so you should be sure the motherboard has something.  Their APUs are coming soon that have Radeon silicon, but they are introducing the enthusiast CPUs first (Ryzen 7,5,3)

So your first test might be HEAD-->DESK as you realize you have no video.  :P

Oh trust me.. I checked :)

Integrated Graphics Processor:
1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
* The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24 Hz
* Support for HDMI 1.4 version.
Maximum shared memory of 2GB
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 09:00:04 AM »

Oh trust me.. I checked :)

Integrated Graphics Processor:
1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
* The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24 Hz
* Support for HDMI 1.4 version.
Maximum shared memory of 2GB

When I get a sec, I'll try it for ya.  Since they don't quote the "type" of card compatibility, that has me questioning it.  I'm kinda thinking that's the requirements and capabilities you have *if* you have an Athlon A-series APU installed.  Then the DVI/HDMI connections on the motherboard are used for that.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 09:23:04 AM »
Your question wasn't clearly answered here, but the confusion is real. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3349492/ryzen-1700-boot-motherboard-onboard-graphics.html

EDIT:
Just rebooted with the HDMI attached to the HDMI port of the motherboard, an no dice.  Looks like you'll need a video card or wait for the APU.

Now my icons are messed up on my desktop.  Argh....  I forgot to take a snapshot of my icon location with DesktopOK.  rats.

But hey, your question is now clearly answered.  Go for the GTX1070; it's super sweet.  ;)  just don't tell Mama Bear.  lol
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:53:03 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 10:02:04 AM »
Thanks, definitely good to know!
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • BobOzarius has no influence.
  • Respect: +26
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 03:30:51 PM »
I don't know about the newer chips, but on the stuff one step below yours, 2 sticks is DEFINITELY better than 4. 4 was a nightmare to get stable. And I ended up either burning 2 sticks up or damaging 2 slots by upping the voltage to those sticks after some time. Or both. Luckily the board has worked like a champ for a long time with just 2 sticks for 16 gigs and I haven't had to replace/upgrade it yet. Soon though.

TM, every AMD build I've ever done seems to have a bit of issues with the memory controller and large amounts of ram. I've always had to use ram that's a bit less than the highest available rated when doing a 16 or greater gig build because it puts a lot of stress on the memory controller. I either run the ram at a lower rated speed, or you have to up the power to the ram to get a stable build. I think it's because the memory controller is built into the chips right? I forget, it's been a long time since I've built a system. Mine is super stable finally but I always have to sacrifice a bit in the memory department to be 100% stable. Hopefully the memory controller issues have been worked out with the new chips and memory.

Yes, you're exactly right.  And with the Ryzen, it's extra touchy since it's so new.  Sounds like relief is coming, but it's going to be up to the memory manufacturers to "tweak" their stuff a little bit to make the faster memory more widely useful.  I've read about people who have gotten 2400MHz memory to work, but nothing faster so far.  Also I've read about more success by using only 2 SIMMs vs. 4.  I'm OK for now; the ValueSelect Corsair 2133MHz stuff is good enough for now and the system performance is WAAAY better than my last gaming build from circa 2011.  :)

I generally don't push the performance envelope.  I might build alot of systems, but I generally don't overclock.  I've only done 1 SLI build in my life and that turned into a PITA.

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »
By the way, the 1070 might be nice, but the Sapphire RX470/480 8 gig... is super nice also. For a lot cheaper.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 07:25:43 PM »
Fun new twist on this build....  Since I only bought one SIMM to test this speed, I bought an exact model number of the SIMM to match the one I previously got so I can have 2-8GB SIMMs.  However, the one I got would not allow the system to POST.  So this is probably the most touchy RAM-sensitive build I've ever put together. 

So I'll sent this SIMM back to Amazon and wait for the replacement to arrive.  Jeez beez.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 06:18:39 AM »
I know you know you shouldn't ever use multiple ram sticks that didn't come from the exact same production lot. Right?  That's ram 101!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 08:10:17 AM »
Oh yes, I was just hoping.  :)  I have gotten lucky in the past.  I already have a nice pair of G.Skill Ripjaw on the way.  That seems to be a RAM people have had luck with on this build.  I'll have this single trusty stick to fall back on if the world comes to an end.  hehe

I'm just in tweaking phase now.  I don't like this CPU fan I bought.  When they say "silent" in the title, I'd like it to be a bit more quite than this thing is.  Right now there aren't alot of CPU fans that fit the AM4 socket unfortunately.  Hopefully that'll be remedied in the next couple months.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:38:09 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 07:28:18 PM »
So the memory I ended up with that seems to work well is the G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz (F43200C16D-16GTZKW)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HFR96OQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So working at 16GBytes now and have some room to play with overclocking it.  Doubtful it'll overclock much though.

I also switched my fan to the MSI Core Frozr L and it's MUCH quieter.  I'm sure my Thermaltake was defective, but at $25 bucks, I'm not worried.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFB358A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline valen2.0

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • valen2.0 has no influence.
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 06:14:38 PM »
My pc I so quiet and runs so cool. Its not even liquid cooled. it has 4  140mm fans  and 1 120mm fan it is amazing. my last pc could be used as a space heater :p

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »
My pc I so quiet and runs so cool. Its not even liquid cooled. it has 4  140mm fans  and 1 120mm fan it is amazing. my last pc could be used as a space heater :p

Mine is too!  NOW
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
I'm actually upgrading my main interwebz desk system with a Ryzen 5 1600.  I'm absolutely shocked about the performance/value you get with this processor.  The 1600 is only $219 for 6/12 cores and comes with a cooling fan.

What sold me was all my Handbrake conversions.  On my previous CPU, I got used to it taking a certain amount of time.  My older 8 core AMD does a respectable job, but I noticed this was MUCH faster with my 1700X.  Like 2x.  Crazy.

No doubt there will be additional headaches since this computer is Linux - Fedora.  Gotta love a challenge though.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:02:23 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »
I was just looking at performance comparisons for Ryzen the other day too. I'm pretty sure that's the one I'm going to get also.  ;)  It'll go very nice with my Sapphire 470 8gig. Next will be a Freesync monitor.  Probly something like this Samsung.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »
I like that monitor.  That's been on my wish list for a while now.  Been stuck at 60hz for a while now.  But finally a computer capable of making a monitor groan!  Yess.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: