Author Topic: My new Ryzen build  (Read 57447 times)

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • BobOzarius has no influence.
  • Respect: +26
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: My new Ryzen build
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 03:00:04 AM »
+1
I'd like a 32" Samsung at that price, but to get even a 28" Samsung 4k 1ms response freesync monitor under 500... Great deal.

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 04:31:05 PM »
+1
So I got the Ryzen 1600 installed in my new desk computer (which is a hodge-podge of older parts and parts left over from the 1700x build).  Installed Fedora 25 easily and seems to be running smoothly.  In fact, since i cloned my /home directory, I managed to get all my wine/Thunderbird/Firefox etc links all setup.  I'm surprised it went so easy.  It didn't feel like I was wrestling with the black beast of Argh like I was with the 1700x.  Lessons learned I suppose.  Touchy memory, but otherwise very solid.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »
+1
Another interesting thing I just found on this ASUS PRIME B350M-A motherboard I'm using for my Ryzen 1600.  Originally with the BIOS I had on there, I could only use one stick of my ValueRam.  I had bought another non-matching one, and got another for replacement, but it still didn't work.  So I basically had 8GB when I first put this computer together.  But now that I've got this computer up and running, I upgraded the BIOS again to the latest version.  Just for giggles, I tried putting the 2nd 8GB stick into the system and viola, it works this time.  So it's good to see the BIOS updates are already having a very positive effect on RAM compatibility. 

It will be tricky getting your system to a point where you can POST, but when you do I think the BIOS updates will help immensely.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
+1
TM, how are you liking the Ryzen 1600 so far? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger today on one. At $219 bucks, what are your thoughts on price/performance for that chip? And you didn't by the 1600x did you? For the price, I think the 1600 beats out the 1600x for price/performance. 365 compared to 219? For a bit more performance? No thanks. I'm going to go 32 gigs of high speed ram, and pay for AMD's ram drive software also. If you haven't used it, give it a try. Setting up an 8 to 16 gig ram drive is so hot, especially when you throw software on it. I do a lot of video editing and encoding, video preview in Adobe After Effects is amazing when you give it a 16 gig ram drive to do it's thing on. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Ryzen 1600 when you get a chance. I'm most likely going to buy it today, but I'll wait a bit and see what you think about yours. Also, what do you think about cooling that chip? At 65 watts, I'm sure air is just fine. But does it seem to run hot for you? Do you have an after market cooler for 1600? And if you do, do you feel like it was needed?

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 11:04:43 PM »
+1
That computer uses the 1600.  It's sort of hard to compare it to my main system (Ryzen 1700X) because the 1600 computer is a Linux box.  However, the Handbrake conversions I do on the 6/12 core 1600 are OBVIOUSLY faster than my older computer.  That was a 6-core Athlon, but was showing its age for  sure.  So multithreaded stuff should rock.  I was shocked with Rift honestly.  I was used to getting 30fps in the crowded areas, but on this 1700X system with a GTX1070, I get over 100fps.  The difference is night/day.

I don't have Passmark on the 1600 Linux system, but here's a screenshot of my Win10 1700X system.  The CPU is at the 97th percentile.  My memory could be better; still limping alone with my fast memory only clocked at 2133MHz.  I'm hoping there'll be more relief there with future BIOS updates.  But at least the last one unlocked better overall performance in windows (it was already good). (lol, I just realized I did that passmark while I have UO running in a VM mining on Rebirth... crazy)

But for bang/buck, you just can't beat the 1600.  I wish I could tell you how it "feels" in Windows.  After I got past my memory woes on both systems, things have been smooth.

Oh, cooler.  I'm running the stock cooler that comes with the CPU.  I did actually buy a much bigger cooler, but frankly I haven't needed it.  I converted a whole bunch of movies  from MKV to H264 so they'll play on my Rasberry Pi  Plex server.  It chugged through 20 bluerays taxing all cores and I didn't even hear the fan go crazy.  The 1600 runs cool it would seem.  I guess I'll keep the large cooler in the box.  I did have a problem when I first put the fan on, because I didn't fully tighten the fan to the motherboard.  I came home to find it locked up and that's actually why I purchased the larger fan.  But then I discovered the error and corrected it.  No problems since then; and that includes a 99 degree day here already.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
1700x system.png
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:11:22 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gruntman

• Activity:
    0%
  • gruntman has no influence.
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »
+1
impressive....

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
cpu.jpg

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »
+1
Which CPU is that Grunt?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gruntman

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2017, 11:36:10 AM »
+1
1800X - had a deal where buy the cpu and motherboard and get 100.00 off.  Besides that they were out of the one i was after which was the 1600. So basically your post inspired me to well ...yeah...New build :)

Added....was also running a build i did in 2011!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »
+1
1800X - had a deal where buy the cpu and motherboard and get 100.00 off.  Besides that they were out of the one i was after which was the 1600. So basically your post inspired me to well ...yeah...New build :)

Have you overclocked at all or is that stock settings?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gruntman

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »
+1
still running at stock....it is water cooled however...i wanted to make sure its stable as is for a bit then its play time...not really big difference from yours however

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2017, 04:17:04 PM »
+1
For the price, I can blow up 2 and half Ryzen 1600's overclocking them to be nearly a 1700.  I pulled the trigger and went with water cooling so I can overclock this one to hell. If I blow it up, I'm still in it for less than a 1700+.  ;)

Offline gruntman

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »
+1
agreed...but i had the money and wanted it :)
not to mention i live down the street from microcenter and they were having a sale when i got this one....I am happy and would do it again...all that matters :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:06:40 PM by gruntman »

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2017, 05:45:00 AM »
+1
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2017, 06:58:41 AM »
+1
They can't let AMD have their moment in the sun for even a minute.  ;) My 6 core cpu uses as much power as this 18 core does!  Crazy.  Also, I ran the same test against my Ryzen 1600, and it was 3x faster than my old cpu in the cpu scoring.  Crazy.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:26:37 AM by BobOzarius »

Tags: