Author Topic: My new Ryzen build  (Read 57438 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: My new Ryzen build
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2017, 10:22:56 AM »
They can't let AMD have their moment in the sun for even a minute.  ;) My 6 core cpu uses as much power as this 18 core does!  Crazy.  Also, I ran the same test against my Ryzen 1600, and it was 3x faster than my old cpu in the cpu scoring.  Crazy.

So you got it together then.  How do you like it so far?

It's funny, if it wasn't for AMD, Intel would just sit and milk the 3,5,7 thing for all its worth.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:35:13 AM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • BobOzarius has no influence.
  • Respect: +26
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »
I mean I ran my 1600 against my old system. And yea, I love it. 3x the performance for a 400 dollar investment? CPU, RAM, motherboard. Everything else I had laying around. I'm seriously considering getting the 12 core intel chip though too. I do a ton of high end hd video editing in Adobe After Effects, and those cpus are just crazy talk. I can't even imagine. The extra cache on the chip and all those extra threads on the chips... I'll get 32 gigs of ram and have a 16 gig ram drive just for the video cache in After Effects... smooth scrolling through hd video while you edit it is a beautiful thing.  ;)

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »
I'm interested in this AMD upcoming offering:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3197184/components-processors/amd-ryzen-threadripper-prices-specs-release-date-and-more.html

No doubt it will actually be a better deal than whatever Intel has up their sleeves. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2017, 05:31:43 AM »
Of course they released that. What else would they do when Intel just released a whole new line of chips after AMD's amazing Ryzen showing, that has 6/8/10/12/14/16, and 18 cores. And intels chips usually beat AMD with less cores. haha And AMD is like, WE SHOULD HAVE A 16 CORE OUT IN 6 MONTHS!  lol  Damnit AMD! THINK AHEAD. I'm just glad my new cpu is 65w on a 14nm process. That halves my power consumption. Any savings go right back into computer parts! It's all about scraping to buy the best parts you can afford! 

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2017, 06:35:40 AM »
Heh, yeh that's the way of the technology world.  My guess is the threadripper won't be the bargain the 8 core Ryzens are up and down the product line.  But even 1/2 the price of that Intel part you posted, it's still a great deal and keeps Intel's INSANE pricing model in check.  I love capitalism, but man I get tired of being told to bend over and grab the brass rail, son.  Sheesh.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »
Especially when costs and materials go down, and prices mysteriously continue to go up and up. 

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
Price is even better than I could have hoped for!

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-16-core-cpu-849-us-price-x399-motherboards/

But that x399 motherboard will probably be very spendy...
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2017, 07:25:19 AM »
My favorite part of this video is where he explains that the Ryzen 5 1600 is just an 1800x with cores turned off because they didn't pass quality control. Eventually someone will release a bios hack that will unlock those extra cores. See if maybe you get lucky and get an 1800x for 200$.  ;)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:37:04 PM by BobOzarius »

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2017, 09:13:19 PM »
Did you get a Thread ripper yet, Bobo?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2017, 06:37:05 AM »
When the 1900x comes down to 299 maybe.  ;)  At 1000 for the 1950x though... no thanks. Still too high priced when I can get "fast enough" for 200 or less.  ;)

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2017, 07:28:00 AM »
When the 1900x comes down to 299 maybe.  ;)  At 1000 for the 1950x though... no thanks. Still too high priced when I can get "fast enough" for 200 or less.  ;)

Oh I hear ya.  I'm totally impressed with the 1700x right now.  That was as close to "premium" as I was willing to pay.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »
I'll upload a few pictures.  ;)

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
21192369_10214043937473181_7101610743111992604_n.jpg
21192806_10214043893952093_980235822489558748_n.jpg
UO0017.jpg
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:13:18 PM by BobOzarius »

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
Some observations after having a Ryzen build for a bit. The ram issues seem to have been mostly addressed. It's still picky about what ram it likes, but of the choices you have available, all of them seem to work mostly fine now out of the box.

Ryzen seems to be VERY power efficient. My cpu fan rarely spins up, and very rarely leaves the 40-50 degree range. It helps that it's designed on a 14nm process and the processor I have is a 65watt cpu. I have under volted my cpu and actually gained a bit of cpu performance. While saving power. That's just perfect for me. I love power efficient tech, because heat kills. I have 2 fans in my case not including the cpu cooler and graphics card fans, and it runs at great temps.

The power of this chip after what I had before, doesn't seem to be mind blowingly insane, but it's 3x the cpu I had, and nothing gives it trouble. There's not a game I can't play at max settings 1080p at 60fps. Anything higher and you can start to push it on some games though. Which was a bit of a disappointment. I'm sure the higher end cpus address this though easily. And if I chose to overclock, I'm sure I could easily run anything with high settings at higher frame rates.

I've been completely satisfied with this purchase. The 1600 is about all you need at this time for anything you're doing. It's a great chip all around for anything. I personally might have went with the cheapest 8 core chip if I did it over again. But I'm still completely satisfied. I've always been in the price/performance category when buying computer parts, and this doesn't disappoint for the performance and price point it's at. I highly suggest this, or if you have a little cash to spare, the cheapest 8 core version of Ryzen. I also have a Sapphire RX 470 8 gig video card that helps chew through most anything I throw at it. Those two components will future proof you for a couple years at this point. That's about all I can ask for a 4-500 dollar investment. And well worth every penny. The components I bought all feel really well built too and like they'll last for a long time to come. We'll see.  ;)

Tags: