Author Topic: Ahhhhhh! Breakpoints!  (Read 13619 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Ahhhhhh! Breakpoints!
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:16:12 PM »
I finally got a chance to turn on the breakpoint functionality.  I added this a long time ago before the language parser was developed, so the hooks have been dangling there for quite some time.

I can safely say this is one of my favorite features of any debugger.  Simply being able to throw out a breakpoint during execution is SOOO helpful during the debugging process.  EUO has some nice debugging features, but sometimes getting to the bit of code you want to start debugging can be a task.  In EUO, you can randomly hit the pause button and then single step to the desired location.  But with ScriptUO, you can just add a breakpoint to your breakpoint list, and if the code tries to execute past this point, the script will pause automatically.  From there you can single step, examine memory, etc.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nicar has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ahhhhhh! Breakpoints!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 02:39:30 PM »
This does sound nice.   What I usually do is put a display in the code, so, I can evaluate certain things. With breakpoint and your variable tab, I can just insert a breakpoint, check the vars to see if all is fine and dandy.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »
I have to add my graphical aids back now that I'm using the new editor.  I originally had line colors selected (yellow background) for breakpoints, but with the new editor, I have different possibilities available.  There's an Icon bar to the far-left of the editor which I can add graphics to signify breakpoints.  I already added back the code that manipulates breakpoints as you add/delete code and the line numbers will be adjusted on the fly.  No, that doesn't mean you can edit a running script and have those edits stick.  Sorry, just can't do that.  However, if you have breakpoints already selected then add a bunch of code you don't have to redo them again.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nicar has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:40:55 PM »
I wouldn't really think you should be able edit a running script, that's like... can break stuff

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »
I wouldn't really think you should be able edit a running script, that's like... can break stuff

Well, it's always been one of my peeves with EasyUO that you can't edit during execution.  So when I send a script to the execution unit, I send a tokenized copy so that leaves the text control version available to edit.  All I really have to do now is set a flag if you edit the script at all, so it will turn off your breakpoints. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: