Author Topic: I wanna help....  (Read 10843 times)

Offline ToptwoTopic starter

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
I wanna help....
« on: May 21, 2009, 07:48:35 AM »
+1
OK, after hours of reading the tutorials I have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to write a script. 90% of it makes no sense to me. With TM's help, I have learned how to add items to a line so I can use more items (pickaxes AND shovels, instead of just shovels to mine with) or how to change or add different axe's to a script so I can make wood to boards. I have figured out on my own how to change delays in scripts so I am not trying to fish to fast for my connection...I can do those kind of things, but writing my own script just isnt going to happen.

I, however, don't want to just sit back and use you guy's scripts all the time without contributing anything. So...if there is ever anything I can do to help out in any way please ask me. I am not working atm (and hope to not be again...but one never knows) so I have a lot of time to be online. I can test things (I think I can figure out how to use most scripts now) I can attempt to find item type's in game for anything you might need and not have the the info already. I can at least attempt to do anything you might need me to try ingame..so please dont hesitate to post, or send me a PM or ICQ me.

Thanks!

Toptwo
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Re: I wanna help....
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 07:52:57 AM »
+1
Great attitude!

To help around here, short of writing/editing scripts, would be to participate in discussions and be a script tester.

New scripts need people to try them, but most people won't even get the script if it's not of interest to them. A good script tester will try stuff out even if it is unnecessary to their characters.

So I'd say, keep posting, and test out some scripts.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 08:00:24 AM »
+1
I could not read stuff and most code made my head spin for the longest time.  So don't count yourself out yet as I once could only change ids too. 

However, I love your attitude and we need script testers to run code through thte grinder when it goes public.  I actually learned a lot from script testing at the old UOC.

Anyways, we need more folks like you to support us in our work.  It makes life much easier when we have some different testers on diff comps and connections rocking the code and giving feedback.

Thx.  for your efforts in advance!  I will be making some new code in the near future and you will be added to the beta section when i do!  TY

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:29:57 AM »
+1
Adding new item types or other minor changes to different scripts is how I got started. I used EUO for years before I attempted my own work and that was simply taking over someone else's hard work and running with it! My specialty before that was always just "fixing" peoples stuff or changing it a little to do what I needed.

In other words, sounds to me like you are already on the right track.

Most of us couldn't have just looked at EUO and said "hmm, I think I'm going to write a looting system called Claw and, while I'm at it, I'll throw together a Heartwood quester and, just for kicks, write my own coding interface". Only experienced programmers do that! People like me, we start by changing other people's stuff then go from there :) Now I have my own Script Library at SUO!! It's empty, but it's there!!

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline ToptwoTopic starter

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »
+1
Thanks Guys!

I am tryin! Just let me know what you want me to test, or how you want it tested and I am there! I am running 4 accts so have a lot of different char skill sets, and if needed I can always create chars on TC or on another shard and give em different skills to test stuff. I got the time to try different things and don't mind doing it...just give me a yell!

Toptwo
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »
+1
Also if you are interested in script testing.  You do not always have to test the script on your home shard if the script makes or unmakes skills you can test it also on test center this is where i test alot of scripts at.  Because here you can make the perfect template you need and try stuff out very fast.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 11:34:03 AM »
+1
I'm glad to hear that it's starting to sink in!  Sometimes finding those little projects is the way to learn.  And it does really help to deconstruct what others have done to see HOW things work.  Scripting is a strange programming ideology since you are controlling the motion of an entity, so SPEED is only one consideration.  Stability, aesthetics, and logic also need to be considered.  Plus if you can throw in a bug or two to get things really smoking, then all is good.  ;)

So don't get discouraged!  You're starting where we all started.  Just start small and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline DeadIssue2

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • DeadIssue2 has no influence.
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 04:47:29 PM »
+1
These guys aren't kidding ,just a couple of months ago I was in your shoes..... heck I am still in your shoes!!
However, I have 3 scripts written already and I am working on more everyday. Stick with it and ask questions because these guys not only have the answers but they are really great teachers.

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 05:20:03 PM »
+1
i'm the same way sorta.. I can write short scripts...   I made a recall miner years ago, I never got it to fully work its been lost for years now... my next biggest script was my Treasure chest looter.. its obsolete now since "code name: Alexandria" is outdated and unused now.  but I can test and sorta figure out whats going in a script after a few hours of single stepping the process.  It probably took me a week of watching Tm's Looter before I could figure out where it was messing up for me.

Scrripty

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »
+1
I am tryin! Just let me know what you want me to test, or how you want it tested and I am there! I am running 4 accts so have a lot of different char skill sets, and if needed I can always create chars on TC or on another shard and give em different skills to test stuff. I got the time to try different things and don't mind doing it...just give me a yell!

You can help test my script... :)  It's pretty advanced template/char wise, but no one else is offering cept Palonius and he seems to think its worthwhile.  If you want to test it, let me know, I'll shoot it to you through email or something.  I definately need good feedback tho.

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 06:16:25 PM »
+1
OK, after hours of reading the tutorials I have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to write a script. 90% of it makes no sense to me. With TM's help, I have learned how to add items to a line so I can use more items (pickaxes AND shovels, instead of just shovels to mine with) or how to change or add different axe's to a script so I can make wood to boards. I have figured out on my own how to change delays in scripts so I am not trying to fish to fast for my connection...I can do those kind of things, but writing my own script just isnt going to happen.

I, however, don't want to just sit back and use you guy's scripts all the time without contributing anything. So...if there is ever anything I can do to help out in any way please ask me. I am not working atm (and hope to not be again...but one never knows) so I have a lot of time to be online. I can test things (I think I can figure out how to use most scripts now) I can attempt to find item type's in game for anything you might need and not have the the info already. I can at least attempt to do anything you might need me to try ingame..so please dont hesitate to post, or send me a PM or ICQ me.

Thanks!

Toptwo

Your animated avatar is contribution enough, in my book  ;D

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »
+1
Man, I have so many of these kinds of GIFs that put Physics to test.  I may have to put up a few more before we hit 20,000 posts.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 06:53:14 PM »
+1
I was trolling some old threads here yesterday and discovered giftube.com.  I haven't left the laptop since.

=D

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 06:56:36 PM »
+1
YA, Maddog gets a gold star for that one!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 10:09:41 PM »
+1
I can't believe I was the first to mention it! I've been getting avatars from there for years!

Anyways, I have to agree with all the other comments in this thread. I am a firm believer that the best way to learn how to build something is to take it apart! (That's what I always told my mom when I used to tear my toys apart, anyways!) I think the best way for most people to learn is to take a nice basic script and play around with it. Change a number here or there and press play and see what it does differently. Use this LINK to find references to any command you don't understand. Most of them have miniature examples with them. I am tempted to re-write some examples for the more confusing stuff like . vs , and other things like that. Once TM get's SUO up and running, we can probably even make our own Documentation site that will have much better examples and possibly even some interactive ones!

I'm glad we have a dedicated group of script testers out there, but don't count yourself out as a scripter yet! The best script testers are those that are scripters themselves!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: