Author Topic: Best all time computer games (non-console)  (Read 9395 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Best all time computer games (non-console)
« on: September 07, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »
SunTigress beat me to this, but she's talking console games.  What are your favorite computer games?  I know there's another thread like this, but this one is just a way to post up all the cool ones I've found in my life.

1) Descent 2 (my all time favorite)
2) Duke Nukem 3D (second fav)
3) Unreal Tournament (original)
4) Masters of Orion 2
5) Ultima Online (of course)
-- no particular order --
6) Ultima 4 - Quest of the Avatar
7) Wizardry
8 ) Lode Runner
9) Civilization
10) Dungeon Siege
11) Battlefield 1942
12) Diablo 1&2
13) Starcraft
14) World of Warcraft
15) Doom
16) Half Life
17) Elite
18) Quake 1 &2 &3
19) System Shock 2
20) Galactic Civilizations
21) Dark Age of Camelot
22) Imperium Galacticum II
23) Mechwarrior 3
24) Zork, Enchanter, Infocom et. al.

I'll edit mine as I remember more....

Feel free to post your own lists!

All of these are PC games, never was a console fan.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:10:52 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline SunTigress

• TopTwo's Woman
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • SunTigress has no influence.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Best all time computer games (non-console)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 02:06:12 PM »
I was always into console games, never computer until TT.

But, I loved

Doom
Quake

they were the only ones I ever really played  ;)
If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then give up. There is no use in making a fool of yourself.

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »
I hafta add Zork to this list.
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 02:38:11 PM »
In no particular order:
Doom
Quake
Wolfenstein (and Return To...; I used to play these on an old 286 computer)
Combat Arms (new favorite)
CS Source
Starcraft/Warcraft
Chips Challenge (I beat every single level of that game!!!!)

*OOPS! Forgot Age of Empires and just plain Empires
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:31:02 PM by UOMaddog »
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »
No specific order:

Doom
Command and Conquer
Starcraft (Can't wait for the sequal next year!.... Hopefully)
Civilization
Dawn of War
World in Conflict (Great story with Alec Baldwin narrating)
Half Life
Counter Strike Source
UO
City of Heroes/Villians (Only played the trial but I had alot of fun. Would still be playing if I had the time)

Scrripty

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 04:29:07 PM »
Master of Magic.  Magic Carpet.  Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2. 

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »
1) Command and Conquer Series !!  NO. 1
2) Ultima Online No. 2
3) Doom
4) Masters of Orion 1 & 2
5) Duke Nukem 3D
6) Mechwarrior 1,2,3 and best of all 4 Merc's
7) Wizardry
8 ) Lode Runner (I played this on my apple IIe)
9) Wolfenstein 3D
10) Dungeon Siege
11) Battlefield 2042
12) Diablo 1
13) Dungeon Keeper 2
14) World of Warcraft 1,2,& 3
15) Advanced D & D Episodes all of them
16) Baldors Gate 1 & 2
17)
18)
19) Rogue (ok thanks to 12x^ i remember playing this ASCII game also loved it played it on bubble rap pc i was to poor to own a case)
20) Zork I, II, III, Enchanter, Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (I played this on my apple IIe)

Leaving the rest blank cause i am still thinking  ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 11:47:47 AM by Masscre »

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »
Oh this is interesting, seeing a lot of the same ones pop up - funny how that works. I'll assume, since consoles are out of the running, that emulators don't count either? ;)

Top 10, not necessarily in order (other than #1):

1) Without a doubt, Duke Nukem 3D 100%, hands down, #1 ever. The most gaming fun I've ever had in 30 years of gaming has been the countless, late-night Duke matches I ran in my old training lab. MAN those were fun nights! Not sure it would be as exciting nowadays but DAMN those were fun times! Jet Pack 4tw!
2. The entire Commander Keen series (remember those fun-filled Apogee days? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?)
3. Wolfenstein 3D
4. Doom 1 through 3 - GOD MODE and CLIPPING with the Rocket Launcher, OMG anyone else remember the spatter sound of a monsters guts hitting the wall?
5. Team Fortress Classic - yes, TFC not TF2! I still play regularly, me like-ah dah snipe-ah!
6. THE most addictive by far, you all know and possibly love (or hate), Ultima Online of course
7. Masscre and TM both mentioned Lode Runner, OMG I have to add it to my list too although I played with a cartridge in the back of my Commodore 64 so technically mine was a "console" version but WTH.
8. Half Life and Half Life 2
9. WoW
10. Rogue. Yes, Rogue. Hours and hours of paid, work-study in an empty computer lab with nobody to help so I ended up playing pure ASCII bliss. Thank you Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships Federal Work-Study program!

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 12:47:36 AM »
Man its been awhile since I played UO, RL = teh suck!  But, I am gonna try and keep up with suo more, miss you guys...that said...

1. Ultima Online
2. Everquest
3. System Shock 2
4. Counter Strike
5. Doom
6. Wolfenstein
7. Console Emulators!!!!
8. Every Resident Evil game (would be number one, but they much better on console)
9. Bejewled
10. Virtual Valarie 2
11.  Diablo
12. Neverwinter Nights

I could think of more, like the xcom series, but this is my list of memorable games.  I love a game with a story or funny ala VV2...
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 01:11:54 AM »
Hey 12X, did you ever try out my "dogfart" Duke Nukem 3d map?  Trust me, it's great.  Actually I have some from my friend and legendary mapmaker "The Jerm".  He's long gone from gaming, but man he could make some cool maps.

And we played Duke just recently and I was totally surprised how fun it was after all this time.

@Massacre:  Glad to see someone else appreciated Masters of Orion (especially #2).  That was a GREAT game!  The Descent series was still my favorite.  Boy, I killed probably 5-8 joysticks perfecting that game.  Thank goodness for Logitech!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:24:21 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 01:45:29 AM »
Oh i like any game where i can possibly have universal dominance :)

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 06:06:17 AM »
Hey 12X, did you ever try out my "dogfart" Duke Nukem 3d map?  Trust me, it's great.  Actually I have some from my friend and legendary mapmaker "The Jerm".  He's long gone from gaming, but man he could make some cool maps.
I'm going to have to go back and take a look at my custom maps list, the name sounds familiar but it's been a long time. I still have everything I collected back then, hundreds and hundreds of maps!

And we played Duke just recently and I was totally surprised how fun it was after all this time.
Now how did you guys play? Was this LAN-based? Internet-based? Some sort of port that works with the newer OS's? I've been looking into it recently and trying to figure out how to get a reliable Duke match going but have run into a number of walls.

When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »
There are new versions of Duke out there that wrap TCP/IP over the old network code, so you can play much easier.  Look around for DukersterX or something like that.

Anyhow, here's the links to my map "Dogfart2":
http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=265.0;highlight=dogfart

Here's another one:
http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=266.0

This one was actually done by my nephew dootndoo way back when he first came to live with us and describes my house here in San Diego.  The fire engine in the garage is a bit of a stretch, however.  It's a ball because it's an all pipe-bomb level.  I've nearly cried laughing at how silly everyone looks trying to lob pipebombs all the time.  ROFL!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 11:52:15 AM »
We used to connect on a common server i dont remember the download application.  I will look some more tonight after work but you could connect on the common server.  Then get in a game room together(service is free) and launch Duke3D in IPX mode and you coul dhave i believe 8 playing at a time if i remember correctly, of course it has been around 8 - 10 years since i played so this is why i cant remember the service we used.  I will do more searches tonight.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 11:54:53 AM »
Also incase you guys did not know Duke3D has been ported to the IPhone and a few other high end windowsCE 6.1 phones.

If you wish to check it out here is a link

hxxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=1L5CP0EC

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:57:45 AM by Masscre »

Tags: