Author Topic: Programmer's are one of a kind. That's why I'm here.  (Read 2578 times)

Offline natsk8freakTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • natsk8freak has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Programmer's are one of a kind. That's why I'm here.
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:50:30 AM »
I've been programming for a short 7 years now. So far, I'm only proficient in VBScript and Visual Basic.net. I use the term proficient loosely in that regard, however. I say proficient because I rarely need to reference the documentation associated with the language to do what I want. The other languages that I need to constantly reference are Java, JavaScript, C#, and Objective-C. Although, Objective-C is closely becoming the #1 language on my list so far...

I am 25 years old and started playing UO when I was only 15. I quit for about... a decade, you know... life got in the way. Since 1999, I joined the military, earned my degree in IT, and now on my way to becoming an industry IT expert (we call those Warrant Officer's).

Some personal projects of mine that include scripting really deal with the windows server environment. I have created complex logon/logoff, startup/shutdown scripts that truly automate the end-user's workspace. I've created scripts that extrapolate data from sophisticated spreadsheets and inject it directly to the windows server via LDAP. And lastly, I created a script to sift through a directory of windows updates and pick out all of the "hotfixes", "patches", see if they need to be installed, and execute the installation. The main use is for an offline computer that rarely touches the network.

My larger projects include full blown applications. I've created banner's that give a heads up display on the screen on just about anything you want. (I'm thinking that there might be a way to incorporate this banner into UO somehow... by showing various totals, amounts, head's up resists - stats - chance to hit target creature... etc.) My baby is a program that will reformat a computer, install all the drivers (automatically), and install all necessary software for a successful re-image with less than 10 clicks. All of the clicks are either at the beginning of the process, or the end. The ultimate end-state is to reformat the computer in less than an hour. (Data transfer is still slow due to limited technology.. oh well.)

My side projects mainly deal with the iPhone. Being in the military, I wrote an application and have been offered an invitation to work with the Army's iPhone programming team. (I declined due to my acceptance as a Warrant Officer) The app deals with cataloging your subordinate's physical fitness status. You can administer personal fitness tests, record the data, calculate raw averages, and even  determine body fat composition within a single program.

With all of this said, each script and program took many hours, days, weeks, and even months to perfect. The bottom line is that when I start a project, I make it the best darn project that I can possibly make it. I want to bring this to the table with UO Scripting... just because I want to learn a different scripting language. It doesn't look too difficult... but I'm sure this is the right place to learn.

I hope to work with everyone soon, but for now - I just need to understand how the language operates by examining a few working examples.  Ciao, and keep collaborating!

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Programmer's are one of a kind. That's why I'm here.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:55:37 AM »
Thanks for the Great intro, and welcome to SUO. Have a look around and if you have questions, please ask!
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:01:57 AM »
Outstanding intro and cannot wait to see you actively participating on the boards!  welcome

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:28:41 AM »
Thanks guys. This definitely seems like an active community. Can't wait to get started in here and bring something to the table. There's always a different way to look and approach something. I hope I can be of some use here.

Offline MeWonUo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • MeWonUo barely matters.MeWonUo barely matters.
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 05:40:46 AM »
Welcome to the site!  Thanks for the intro, was a good read.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.6%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:20:08 AM »
WELCOME

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 06:20:29 AM »
Definitely deserves a sticky for an excellent intro! Thank you for your service and a very big WELCOME to the site! Perhaps you and TM could work together on SUO and make something amazing happen!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 07:20:59 AM »
Now that sounds like a fun project :)

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 02:48:42 PM »
welcome  nice intro
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: