Author Topic: The Holy Grail Of Code Writing  (Read 7011 times)

Offline retnuhTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • retnuh has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
The Holy Grail Of Code Writing
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »
I've been gone from the game for a quite some time now. New job school ect. Anyway a new assignment has been tasked to me at my job and they would like me to build them a website for their company. I took web page design for 2 years but that was back in high school and things have since changed. From what I understand there are programs to make life easier for people like me such as Dreamweaver and I think there is a Microsoft one out there somewhere. But I guess my question is if you guys have any experience with programs like Dreamweaver and such and if it would be a good option to take when creating a website. I just figured I'd come here first as opposed to going to some random forum because you guys have always been beyond knowledgeable of coding and how it works. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: The Holy Grail Of Code Writing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:15:02 AM »
I'd advise using a pre-built CMS (Content Management System). There are tons available, some even for free. Below is a short list:

- DotNetNuke (my recommendation as I've used it quite extensively)
- Sharepoint (massive cost, but great support since it's a MS business-class product)
- Wordpress (best for blogs)
- Drupal (best for blogs)
- Joomla (OK for anything, but DNN does it better I think)
- Many, many more!

Setting up a website for someone with DNN is as simple as deploying it on the server (if using a Windows Server, you can use the Web Installer and it will do EVERYTHING for you), walk through the install wizard, find a skin you like (free or paid, there are tons of sites that sell them), and fill in content!

I currently have 6 websites, 2 intranet sites, and 1 blogging site all running under DNN. I also have 2 sites, with a couple sub-sites each, running on a Sharepoint server.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline retnuhTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • retnuh has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:15:01 PM »
So as far as the dotnetnuke goes do you just use the free version or did you buy the pro version?

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:10:15 PM »
We've been using the free version with 0 issues.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Newsman has no influence.
  • Respect: +38
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:17:23 PM »
I've found wordpress to be extremely flexible and offers a lot.  I've got a site using it and I know several people that have launched profitable startup businesses using wordpress.

Offline redbadger

• Activity:
    0%
  • redbadger has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »
Its for your company, pay for a Commercial CMS, so your company isnt staring at you while their website is down and you are typing for help on the scriptuo boards :)

Lots of good ones, but maybe try Bigtree.  its good for beginners

Tags: