Poll

What do you think? is scripting Cheating?

Yes
2 (15.4%)
No
11 (84.6%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: February 22, 2009, 06:09:44 PM

Author Topic: Scripting = Cheating?  (Read 4731 times)

Offline KhameleonTopic starter

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Scripting = Cheating?
« on: February 15, 2009, 06:09:44 PM »
I've decided to leave the Answers hidden until the end of the week, so we can discus what we think till next Sunday :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Scripting = Cheating?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »
Well, my take is split.  If you read the EULA, then yes it is.  However, since you really can't do anything any faster using scripting with EasyUO, I can't see my use of them giving me any additional advantage.  The only thing I can see scripting doing is fortifying a broken/key-slave intensive game.

I guess there is an advantage.  I got my life back.  ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 06:35:57 PM »
I agree, to that point.. it takes my character about two hours to fill potion orders every week, not to mention how long it takes to gather regs from shops.  now if they gave me the option to mass produce, I could get the job done in a few clicks, but instead they encourage us to script it out for a few hours.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 06:41:03 PM »
Scripting doesn't allow you do to anything in game you can't do if you were present at the keyboard. So no...hell no! It's simply a great tool and some of us are smart enough to take advantage of it. No moral dilemma here. :P

All scripting does is prevent carpal tunnel and allow us to perform monotonous mouse and keyboard funcitons while I'm sleeping  ;D

Some of the repetitve tasks involved with the 2d client are beyond the pale. Click here...Click there...click...click...click....click once more...next page....ugh!

What I have found really interesting lately is the mentality of players on the Asian shards. Those in the East certainly don't look at scripting as cheating. People blatantly script out in the open with no fear of being paged. You yourself, Khameleon, saw that from your brief visit to the Asian shard I play on. ;)

Maybe those on the Asian shards look at scripting as a tool whatever their outlook is it's definately different than the mindset of the US and Western shards where it's "Scripters are ruining the game" & "I'm paging on you" philosophy.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 06:42:55 PM »
I suppose it depends on the definition of "cheating".

The most common definition in UO is...

"Anything that you could not normally do using UO and UOAssist."

So would the Quester be cheating? You could do the same thing by hand.... Of course you wouldn't be as precise nor as quick, but if the script were slowed down, it could be made to match exactly what you would normally be doing by hand.

So is that cheating?
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 06:58:23 PM »
I guess I get worked up on the subject because the constant complaining and crying I see on other boards particulary UOStratics.

Using scripts had totally enhanced my gameplay and makes for a much more enjoyable gaming experience. Things shouldn't always have to be so hard.

I remember doing quests in heartwood for 3 or 4 hours one time. After wards my head was literally hurting so bad and I had to swallow a handful of aspirin in hopes of relieving the pain. It wasn't a pleasant experience but I really wanted that Overseer Sundered Recipe.

Cerveza is dead on it's all about what the definition of cheating is. My definition is different than most peoples and as always I seem to find myself in the minority on these hot topics.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:41:46 PM »
The Stratics people don't count.  A long time ago I realized they are nothing but whiners and aren't worth a toss.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 05:16:55 AM »
Well, I am a scripting is cheating guy because there are a few out there that actually will make a smith with mind numbing clicks.  I made my first two this way and omg it was horrible.  UOassist only goes so far without a thrid party program to keep it loping or the creative placement of a stapler on a keyboard.

BUT...

Training carp, tinker, magery... vs. collecting for donations, mining for 24 hours a day rank differently with me.  In my heart I am not cheating but for by the book peeps I am.  Err!

I obviously cheat but I have always wanted to see a town or area where it was a macro zone or town!  Anything goes!  Well macro wise...
That way mindless skills can be worked without intense clicking and turning into a vegetable  >:(

i am not going all stratics on anyone.  I do it all and am proud of it.  lol
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:01:48 AM by _C2_ »

Offline Op3y

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Op3y has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:48:56 PM »
i dont think its cheating is your using it to skill gain or help on your every day taming runs but when it comes to pots PK PVM its some what cheap.

Offline casca

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • casca has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead and weigh in here.

In game sometimes I play a thief.

Thieves in general Cheat.  They Lie.  They Steal.

I Cheat. I lie. I Steal. 

It's goes to logic that a thief would have co-horts.  People that are in the blackmarket that obtain things illegitimately.

I look at it like that.  People who are scripters, cheaters, whatever that isn't legit are just role players.  They are just doing the thieving thing.  You don't have to have stealing to play a thief or be part of a black market network.  You are a criminal. 

Most of my guys are red, I'm a murderer... a scoundrel.

I cheat therefore I am.

*bleep* UO if they don't understand their own game.  The games creator (Richard Garriot), whom I actually met and have interviewed for my IRL job said that his mission was to create a world that is fully functional.  He did not nerf thieves... (EA did that).  In fact, I remember being told by a GM to macro hiding overnight while I slept to gain intelligence.  Then EA took over and they were like "You can't do this and you can't do that..." 

Ah well.  The bottom line is, I started this game off as a murderering scoundrel and a thief.  If I choose to continue down that path that's my business.  If EA can't catch me, that's theirs.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 05:44:19 PM by casca »

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »
I find creating the scripts more fun than playing alot of times.

So I script so thierfor technically by EA rules i cheat but i PAY. 

So thierfor i pay to cheat. Whats the problem again ???
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »
So thierfor i pay to cheat. Whats the problem again ???

Word to the bird!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 02:25:14 PM »
I love the reasoning Endless!  I feel the same way.  I only play now because I like writing scripts.  Oh well...

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 03:27:12 PM »
id have to agree as well.  I probably wouldn't be playing if scripting was involved.

Tags: