Author Topic: New User Stuff  (Read 8913 times)

Offline GiovanniMonosTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • GiovanniMonos has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
New User Stuff
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:06:35 AM »
Hey all...

I'm rather new to this whole scripting scene.  Since I've been away from UO for so many years, it feels very much like I'm new to the game as well.  In the last week or so of poking around the net and doing my best to find UO related sites development sites, there seem to be only a few utilities being actively developed for OSI shards these days, EasyUO, ScriptUO and Razor.  While I believe that UOAssist is still available, their website suggests that they haven't added many features recently or even really updated their website.  I was sad to find UOAutoMap no longer supported and a struggle to barely get working.  Other than those few programs, I'm not seeing a lot of other stuff out there.  ScriptUO seems to be one of the few active projects - are there others that I didn't mention that I should be made aware of that will help me not only with UO, but, more specifically with developing scripts in ScriptUO?  Companion tools and such?

I came to this website looking to for a place to learn how to code and to actually create some scripts that would be not only helpful to myself, but to others as well.  I have been tossing a number of ideas around and I've come to find some of those ideas have been attempted and put online at the EasyUO's and the ScriptUO websites.  In some cases the scripts are better than anything I had even begun to consider.  Other cases I have been left completely disappointed.  With all that mind, I've got a few quick questions.  And while I did use the search button as suggested to me, still, I apologize in advance if these questions have been covered in other posts.

It is my understanding that ScriptUO is currently not a replacement for EasyUO, but is a functioning development environment for scripts that can run in EasyUO.  Someone can code scripts in ScriptUO, save them and run them in EasyUO and that's it.  I've played with both of these programs for only a little while, so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain a few reasons why I'd choose one piece of software over the other to begin developing my projects.  Or perhaps explain when it is best to use which piece of software during the development process.  Remember, I'm not only new to the UO scripting scene, I'm new to scripting in general.  Is one better suited to a new developer than the other?  Does one program have more features geared towards someone who has very little knowledge of the processes involved?

Another question I have is that I see a number of scripts on this site that run in EasyUO but do not seem to be available on the EasyUO website.  I'm curious why this is.  If I write a script I feel is good enough to release, how should I be choosing which website to release it on?  Are these scripts not accepted on the EasyUO website for a reason?  Or were they simply not submitted to the site?  Does ScriptUO.com only host certain types of scripts?

As I've mentioned, while I've done some scripting and programming in my life, I'm still very new and I don't have an innate understanding of many coding concepts.  Are there specific tutorials, guides, discussion groups or snippets of code directed towards a person like me to get started?  A "Hello World" type example leading into a examples of some of the other basics?  I've seen a few things on both websites here and there, but I've not stumbled across a detailed beginner's guide to creating a functioning script.  Or perhaps there is and I just didn't see it.

Thank you in advance for any help that is offered.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: New User Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:00:54 AM »
Well hello there GiovanniMonos and welcome!

I'm not the foremost expert however I'll weigh in on some of your questions.

First, you are correct in that, at least for now, ScriptUO is a development platform only. Why would you use this instead of EasyUO you ask? Basically it's about the tool features. EasyUO works just fine for writing EUO code however it is very rudimentary as a development platform. To be honest, the first thing that attracted me to SUO was the Syntax checker, that alone is enough to stop me from ever coding in EUO again. From there I hopped on board with features such as the inventory menu which displays all of your subs, vars, etc, mass indentation, color profile customizations, click "search" on commands, the list goes on and on. When I try to code in EUO now it simply doesn't work for me, I have come to rely on TM's experience as to what belongs in a coding platform. Hopefully someday TM will decide to build a Client interface but for now I'm still pleased with the offering.

As for the scripts you'll find here, many of us have been (and even still are) active members of the EasyUO community but found that we don't always agree on scripting "morality" issues. For example, posting scripts that utilize skill timer avoidance bugs is against the EasyUO policies and many great scripts have been tossed because of some weird stance on posting this type of script. This is not the case here, these types of scripts are welcomed and creativity is encouraged. This attitude has led me to avoiding posting at EUO at all.

Furthermore, at least in my opinion, the community here is a little tighter (and smaller) which makes it a great place even just to hang out and talk about UO and other things. It's not just a scripting site, it's a community. I have had much better luck getting decent help on my scripts with the folks here than with other sites and I have never been "shot down" when I had an idea or suggestion like I have been every time at EasyUO. The folks here have helped me develop my scripting skills from zero to where I can at least develop some basic scripts worth releasing to the community.

If you enjoy yourself here you might also want to check out WinUO.org (another site devoted to UO scripting and other topics). You will find many of us popping in both sites and there is a wealth of information to be found.

That's just my 2 cents.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 06:26:03 AM »
I've played with both of these programs for only a little while, so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain a few reasons why I'd choose one piece of software over the other to begin developing my projects.

I can create perfectly good documents using Notepad, but if I want function and features when I write, I'll use Word. That's really the difference between writing scripts using EUO and SUO. If you've actually used both then you realize there is no comparison.

Try loading the same script in EasyUO and ScriptUO. Now search for something in each. Try replacing stuff in each. Try to auto indent using both (note... you can't in EUO). Try to error check for balanced {}, syntax errors, misspelled commands, etc... using both (note... you can't in EUO).

I think you'll see that one is a simple text editor like notepad (EUO) and the other is a full featured script writing tool like word (SUO).

Another question I have is that I see a number of scripts on this site that run in EasyUO but do not seem to be available on the EasyUO website.  I'm curious why this is.

12TimesOver answered this. EUO put a policy out about circumventing skill timers, unattended scripting, etc... (please don't get us started on the hypocrisy that goes on over there). We allow every type of script EXCEPT those intended to scam other players.

Are there specific tutorials, guides, discussion groups or snippets of code directed towards a person like me to get started?  A "Hello World" type example leading into a examples of some of the other basics?

I wrote up some guides you can find HERE. Another thing 12TimesOver mentioned is the accessibility of the people here. We do consider ourselves a scripting community. You will NEVER get a "go use the search function" or "sheesh, learn to script" post here. Anyone who would post something like that would have a very short existence in these forums.

We welcome questions. We welcome comments and feedback. Scripting discussions are what this forum lives on. There are some incredible scripters here, and every one of them will help you with any questions you might have.

If you really want to start out... here's how I got going... I wanted to do something in game. I found a script that *almost* did what I wanted. I modified a bit of it to work for me. *BAMF* I was on my way :)

Getting long winded... just look around, I know there's a lot of reading here. Try to go through the examples in the tutorials, see if that stuff makes any sense to you. Ask questions when you have them. Use the scripts you find useful and please, leave feedback. One thing that makes scripts better is when the author knows what problems the script has OR what works well in the script.

Thank you in advance for any help that is offered.

YW
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:37:27 AM »
If you really want to start out... here's how I got going... I wanted to do something in game. I found a script that *almost* did what I wanted. I modified a bit of it to work for me. *BAMF* I was on my way :)

In addition to Cerv's suggestion (which is right on target) I spent time turning my UOAssist/Razor/UO macros into EUO code, simply for the practice. Most of these macros were very simple, repetitive, single-step tasks. Not only did I get a a good "buzz" off the challenge, I also found this to be an incredible way to learn some command and script basics while accomplishing something that was reasonably meaningful.

Just another thought. :-)

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 12:49:40 PM »
A rare instance when I can't add a single thing.  Good job guys!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline GiovanniMonosTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • GiovanniMonos has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:22:41 PM »
Excellent info, thanks guys for all that.  I agree - clearly for development purposes the ScriptUO environment is the one to go with.  I did what you suggested Cerveza and loaded a large script into both and attempted to make changes in both programs.  As you and 12TimesOver explained, ScriptUO was certainly the more powerful tool to use.  While I'm new to scripting UO stuff, I have done some programming before.  Nothing fancy, but enough to know I'm not that good at it.  And not being very good at coding, one of my "bad" habits is to make a single change to a line of code and re-run the program.  Then I will make another change and re-run the program.  And I do this over and over for hours.  This is a slow way to develop, but it helps me understand exactly what every change is doing and what effect it is having.   I need to write a small piece of code, watch it run and then make changes from what I saw happen.  I'm just not very good at looking at large potions of code and knowing in my head what will happen.  I'm not certain if that makes sense to a more advanced programmer, but that's my manner of software development.  Now these practices of mine makes for a slight problem with ScriptUO.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Shall I run both programs at once, develop in ScriptUO and save the code, switch to EasyUO, reload the code and run it?  Or better yet, how does everyone else develop scripts using these two programs?  What are your techniques?

I have to agree, from my current understanding of things, it would seem the only kind of script I've have a problem with would be one that was developed to somehow hurt or exploit another player.  I have no idea what a "skill timer avoidance bugs" is, but if it's something that will allow my animal taming to go up more than .1 every 24 hours I'm interested in it so, please do explain that to me! :)  But seriously, I'm here posting these messages and learning how to script to enhance my own personal gaming experience with UO.  I believe, though I could be wrong on this, that running a script in EasyUO while being logged into any of the OSI shards is against the rules and can get my account banned or my character tossed in jail for 24 hours or some other repercussion I'm not aware of.  Honestly, as long as I'm in no way attempting to affect the gameplay of any other player, I am very confused why OSI cares what I do with my time online.

Cerveza, those guides you pointed me to were exactly what I needed to get a good start on things.  Thanks for taking the time to work on them and giving new scripters like me a solid foundation for learning this stuff.

Offline Theosibo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Theosibo has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:08:46 AM »
I'm new here, and something in this post really stands out to me.  Something that should help all these new member introductions REALLY start to stand out and pop (srsly, stop being lazy and give the Elites some damn info so I don't have to read the posts of them asking for more info.  I read the post on what they wanted in an intro post, you should too. :P)

It was mentioned in this post, that EUO is to notepad as SUO is to MS Word.  I STRONGLY agree with this analogy.

Might I point out, that notepad is a free POS, that can be found (weather you want it or not) on every MS operating system containing PC in the world.  While MS Word will cost you $199 (or the effort of hunting it down on illegitimate websites, downloading, scanning for virus, deleting when it has a virus, hunting down another copy, rinse, repeat).

So to summarize: EUO = FREE POS : SUO = FREE $199 program without hunting, scanning, deleting, rinsing and repeating!

I'm no l33t hacker, coder, programmer, or anything else.  I love to play online games.  But even *I* can see that if we paid TM $1 for every hour he's worked on this program, we'd each owe him thousands of dollars? 

Offline Noobie

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Noobie has no influence.
  • Respect: +13
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:18:54 AM »
This is really good stuff here. It cleared a lot of things up for me all at once. cant wait to go home to try SUO.

Offline Bookwyrm

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Bookwyrm has no influence.
  • Better Civilization Through Medication
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:04:51 PM »
A rare instance when I can't add a single thing.  Good job guys!

TM speechless? *rushes off to record the date*
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

Tags: