Author Topic: Audiophiles, need your help.  (Read 7720 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Audiophiles, need your help.
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:41:06 AM »
I'm coming into some unexpected money towards the end of this month and have the green light to get a new HD Television.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about them. I could use some advise on models, comparisons, sites to check out, things to consider, etc...

My budget would be ~$2000 to spend.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a good LCD LED with 240 refresh. Screen size would be 46" +, best for the buck.

We'll have multiple gaming systems connected, so a few HDMI connections would be best.

I'm kind of torn between spending $1600 for a television, then using $400 on a surround, or just spending it all on a television now. I'm kind of leaning towards using the $2000 for television AND surround.

Anyways... I'm sure there's some audiophiles who know much more about this then I do... help.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Audiophiles, need your help.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:58:52 AM »
Samsung's LCDs are fantastic.  I got a 46in a few months ago at BestBuy for 1700ish.  Here's a tip: go to your local post office and get their change of address package.  Typically, there is a couple for 10% off at BestBuy.  Saved me 180 bucks!  Since so many people know about the coupon, the post office in my area has taken to hiding them behind the counter.  Just go to the desk and ask for one - they're free!

I also highly recommend the LG Blu Ray player with integrated wireless.  Best.  Toy.  Ever.

Of course...that doesn't leavt you anything for a sound system.  I use my old Bose system I bought like 10 years ago.  Works great.

:)

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:05:41 AM »
Samsung is on my short list.

LN46B750 - $1600
LN52B750 - $1900

Blu Ray will be done through the PS3 my son will get for Christmas...
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 07:13:39 AM »
Damn, merge this thread with the one I started a month ago "http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=2865.0" :) ! I'm still in the same boat, looking to upgrade much of my technology.

I've been very interested in the LED backlight's myself but the prices need to drop a little bit more before I bite. I'm hoping for 46-47" for $900-$1100 by Christmas, already seeing specials pop up here and there in the $1200-$1400 range.

I question the need for 240 over 120hz though, I'm thinking it would be unlikely that you would notice a difference between the 120 and 240 unless you are highly sensitive to blurring. Even then I think you would find that some manufacturers handle the 240 "claim" differently then others and aren't truly 240hz anyhow. My vote is to save $ and stick with 120 rather than purposely going with 240. If what you buy ends up being 240 but you buy it for other reasons, so be it; just don't blow by otherwise great deals because they are 120hz.

I'm thinking, for a 46-47" LED at the end of November you should easily be able to get by with sound AND television within your budget, $2000 is too much to spend on just a TV IMO.

BTW, keep your eye on http://slickdeals.net because there are great deals posted regularly. I keep my eyes on it throughout the day while I work or whenever I can and have come across some extremely good, lesser-known specials.

Would like to hear other thoughts on the 120-240 discussion too although I'm feeling pretty darn confident about it!

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline UoLugnutz

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • UoLugnutz has no influence.
  • Respect: +25
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:37:26 AM »
I'm coming into some unexpected money towards the end of this month and have the green light to get a new HD Television.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about them. I could use some advise on models, comparisons, sites to check out, things to consider, etc...

My budget would be ~$2000 to spend.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a good LCD LED with 240 refresh. Screen size would be 46" +, best for the buck.

We'll have multiple gaming systems connected, so a few HDMI connections would be best.

I'm kind of torn between spending $1600 for a television, then using $400 on a surround, or just spending it all on a television now. I'm kind of leaning towards using the $2000 for television AND surround.

Anyways... I'm sure there's some audiophiles who know much more about this then I do... help.

I find LG LCD's are always a good bang for the buck. Look for them at Futureshop or is it Best Buy in the USA? Anyways they are the same. They have a really good warranty since they make the TV's themselves. Plasma TV's have very sensitive screens so if you like throwing things at the TV or have kids that like to touch stuff not really recommended. I have a Sony Bravia 46" LCD which is also really good too.
Make sure you run a HD system though. 1080p is the best they say but 1080i i don't see any difference. I think its like refresh rates too. Can you really see the difference for the everyday Joe. Its a waste to get a high end TV if you are running Low Def receiver.
If you are the average movie watcher don't get caught up in everything. You wont notice that much of a difference getting all the top end bells and whistles. You are getting into the right time with Thanksgiving coming and then Christmas so the smoking deals should be out soon. Should be able to get a really good 46" LCD for around 1000 bucks.
Hope that helps!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 07:46:14 AM »
Great info all. I just read a couple of opinions on the 120 vs 240 debate.

So far it's overwhelming in favor of 120. Of the few articles I've read they all claim that the refresh rate difference between 60 and 120 is noticeable. But there isn't any noticeable difference between 120 and 240. The human eye just can't distinguish any difference.

I'm going to read more, but it'd be pretty awesome if I can get a ~50" 120hz LCD LED within my budget AND get a surround system as well.

BTW, I'm looking at $400 for surround and found some really nice stuff. I'm not really that interested in the DvD player, All I want is the decoder/amp and speakers. And wireless back speakers are way cool.

OH I have a couple LG's on my list as well:

LG 47LH90 - $1700
LG 47SL90 - $2000

But I may have to redo my list and include more 120's.

**    Website Links would be appreciated!     **

Links for comparisons, feature listings, advisors... something like THIS ONE
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:05:46 AM by Cerveza »

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 08:14:34 AM »
That's exactly what I found through my research and I did go and do as much viewing myself at Best Buy and Sears as I could and personally noticed no difference between comparable televisions where the only difference was really the refresh rate. That's why I'm sticking with 120 for less $$. There are a few LED's I've been looking at and will pull the trigger once they hit my price point.

I've been looking at a couple of Onkyo receivers, they make a great mid-range product. They'll never be Denon but they come in at a third the cost for similar features. I haven't narrowed down the model yet but I'm partial to staying away from speaker/receiver bundles and purchasing them separately instead so I can mix/match my own flavor. Check out this cnet site if you haven't already, it's a very recent set of A/V receiver reviews: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-av-receivers/?tag=rb_content;contentNav

X

<edit> Oh, and remember that you almost NEVER have to pay the price that is listed!! ;)

<edit again> Check out the review for the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K - I think I'm going to put this one as the receiver in my config. I was already looking at this instead of the Onkyo I had been looking at but the price difference on sale was nearly $200 bucks. After checking out the review I'm officially converted. I'll hold out until I find this at a price I want. The receiver is the most important part of the entertainment system IMO, it's the brain and the central nervous system all wrapped up.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:39:28 AM by 12TimesOver »

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 08:43:34 AM »
This set keeps popping up:

Sharp LC-52LE700UN - $1725

Which is bigger in size but lower in price then most the other ~1700 sets.

Research continues.

Scrripty

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 09:44:52 AM »
Going from 30 to 60 is doubling the refresh of regular television.  At 60 the human eye isn't supposed to be able to tell the difference.  Most gaming today is 60.  At 120, it's so responsive you cant really tell the difference, and 240 is probly just for the speed hounds who want it all because it sounds better.  I'd say 240 would be reserved for compeitive online xbox360 players who do it for the money. :)  Could you tell a difference?  Probly.  Would you care?  Probly not.  The difference in price doesn't warrant the expenditure. :)  120's have been out a while now and are great.  It's finding the best for your dollar, and MAKE SURE it's not "fake 120." :)  If you can stand the suspense, I'd say watch for blazing deals right after Christmas when everyones trying to get rid of their extra stock. hehe

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 04:45:19 AM »
Ok here goes - http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1659524

This just may be the tv to buy Cerv.

X

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 05:43:08 AM »
That LG47LH90 is on my short list also. I'm going to pass on the Toshiba though, 8ms = 60hz right?

So far my top sets are...

Sharp LC52LE700UN - $1725
LG 47SL90 - $1980
LG 47LH90 - $1700 (Sears price of 1299 is awesome though)
Toshiba 46SV670U - $1670

There's some more, but looking at that Sharp, it seems to be the best deal. LED they say is "alright" but not great, blacks are decent but not as good as other sets. But the 52" sure makes it seem like the best deal.

I continue my research today.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 05:51:54 AM »
Yeah I threw that Toshiba up simply as a "wow, good price" as I was browsing my Newegg mailing today, didn't even hit me that it wasn't 120.

I don't know though cerv, I have stood in front of that LG LED panel at Bestbuy and compared it firsthand to some other LCD's and I was totally impressed by the sharpness and the blacks with the LED. I'm thinking, for $1299, that LG is going to be in my livingroom next week. Also, if you have a Sears locally go and pick it up Sunday night for an additional 5% off the $1299 - almost takes care of the sales tax for me. I'll also use my Sears card and get the extra 10%, then just pay the card off Monday.

Who was it that works at Sears here? Any input from you?

X

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 06:27:43 AM »
That Sears LG is out of stock EVERYWHERE. I don't know why, but I'm constantly being pulled towards that Sharp LC52LE700.

I'll keep learning and burning...

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 08:22:05 AM »
Yeah I threw that Toshiba up simply as a "wow, good price" as I was browsing my Newegg mailing today, didn't even hit me that it wasn't 120.

I don't know though cerv, I have stood in front of that LG LED panel at Bestbuy and compared it firsthand to some other LCD's and I was totally impressed by the sharpness and the blacks with the LED. I'm thinking, for $1299, that LG is going to be in my livingroom next week. Also, if you have a Sears locally go and pick it up Sunday night for an additional 5% off the $1299 - almost takes care of the sales tax for me. I'll also use my Sears card and get the extra 10%, then just pay the card off Monday.

Who was it that works at Sears here? Any input from you?

X

CGeorgemo

Tags: