Author Topic: Re: Menuing system of OEUO  (Read 8741 times)

Scrripty

Re: Menuing system of OEUO
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 10:14:43 PM »
Just like everything Cheffe does, he's complicated the use of other 3rd party tools, so getting the stuff running in SUO will be difficult I'm finding....

I think the biggest problem people will have is case sensitivity.  But it's easy once you get used to it.  Also, learning some of the new lua stuff is a bit of a pain if you've never programmed.  Lots of new stuff to learn.  But writing scripts will be just as easy as in EUO I think, it's the more advanced stuff that's gonna suck to learn without tutorials and people to help.

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 10:22:51 PM »
For the normal programmers out there, the case-sensitivity thing isn't a biggy.  I never really noticed it in EUO since I do so much stuff in other languages that are highly case-sensitive.  The problem where the case sensitivity comes into play is in Lua, there is no formal declaration of a variable, so you get lulled into a false sense of safety when in fact you are trying to reference an uninitialized variable.

You can fix this by encapsulating your data from within a table.  Then if you try and reference a variable in a table, but it's not declared, you'll get an error.  Might help a bit.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 11:21:36 PM »
For the normal programmers out there, the case-sensitivity thing isn't a biggy.  I never really noticed it in EUO since I do so much stuff in other languages that are highly case-sensitive.  The problem where the case sensitivity comes into play is in Lua, there is no formal declaration of a variable, so you get lulled into a false sense of safety when in fact you are trying to reference an uninitialized variable.

You can fix this by encapsulating your data from within a table.  Then if you try and reference a variable in a table, but it's not declared, you'll get an error.  Might help a bit.

If you explain that with a little code example it probly would.  Otherwise you're speakin Zimbabwan.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 05:06:01 AM »
You can fix this by encapsulating your data from within a table.  Then if you try and reference a variable in a table, but it's not declared, you'll get an error.  Might help a bit.

This sounds awesome (I love structured programming) and is pulling me in a little more each day I here you talking about lua TM.

But some times I still think cheffe is toying with us and will pull the rug or toss a tantrum any minute and expect this again and again.

Click below to activate animation.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
suckerzzzz.gif
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:25:19 AM by Masscre »

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 05:34:06 AM »
Honestly, that's what has prevented me from jumping in myself.  That and partially finished work.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: