Author Topic: Why does my display randomly go CRAZY  (Read 12350 times)

Offline OMGBurgersTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Why does my display randomly go CRAZY
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:48:11 PM »
+1
It has not happened in a few days, but sometimes the computer freezes up and then it kicks into a 600x800 16color mode.  I have no idea what to do. All the drivers are correct, and the latest.  I put the computer together, so maybe there's something weird that I did?  Just wondering if anyone seen this.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
IMG_20110207_192836.jpg

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Why does my display randomly go CRAZY
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:44:48 AM »
+1
I have had around 3 computers in my shop in the last few years that would have these same issues. Not with UO, but other applications and games the like. It did not matter what app they where using it would do the same thing. All three times I norrowed it down to 2 areas before I fixed the problem. 1. Heat issues with the CPU not transfering the heat to the heat sink because of faulty spread of heat sink compound and loose connection of the heat sink(the where using the premade thermal paste sticky - very bad choice). 2. heat issues related to not cooling the video card enough and the card booting into a differnte part of the video chip because of self protect using less power on the lower setting and trying to cool itself down. It is a self protect mode the video card has built into it, not all chips have this. What video card and chip is in your system?

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 07:47:38 AM »
+1
Also thier systems started acting up in the winter time because of the heat being on in their houses, but ran fine during the summer months because of the AC being on. Just some more food for thought.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 08:08:40 AM »
+1
I also find (assuming your video drivers are up to date) that the sound drivers can mess things up if they are not up to date.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:41:54 AM »
+1
Every now and then my windows 7 task bar bugs the heck out and i cannot open the easy uo , icq or UO clients through the bar anymore.  I end up having to shut it all down.  It is a real bummer.  I would love to know why that part bugs out for me.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:47:03 AM »
+1
Every now and then my windows 7 task bar bugs the heck out and i cannot open the easy uo , icq or UO clients through the bar anymore.  I end up having to shut it all down.  It is a real bummer.  I would love to know why that part bugs out for me.

This all has to do with a poorly written OS when it come to vista and win 7. End of story. Yes they can come out with fixes and patches but both of these were just poorly written from a designers stand point. they may have more to offer than some of the previous OS's but they does not make them good.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:56:03 AM »
+1
I'm with Mass on the heat-related troubleshooting. In fact, that would be the first place I went if it was something you never had issues with before then "suddenly" the issue started. Make sure the fan's are all working appropriately and you blow all the dust out. I've had wacky issues like this many times. Heat does funny things to components.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
+1
I'm going a different route here.... Power Supply.

If you have an old one laying around try it out and see if you get the same results.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:59:02 PM »
+1
hm, it hasen't happened since I posted this, and I've left the computer running without a restart since.  could that rule out the overheating problem?  the entire thing is brand new, but i suppose it's possible to get something faulty lol.  I've got a few spare powersupplies laying around, I could give one a shot, though they're rated as high as the current one which should be okay w/ my setup.  No video card btw. 

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »
+1
hm, it hasen't happened since I posted this, and I've left the computer running without a restart since.  could that rule out the overheating problem?  the entire thing is brand new, but i suppose it's possible to get something faulty lol.  I've got a few spare powersupplies laying around, I could give one a shot, though they're rated as high as the current one which should be okay w/ my setup.  No video card btw. 

The power rating on the power supply is not everything. The stablity of the power output and voltage output it gives you is also a large measure. Some power supplies have up to a +/- 20% on the output voltage it can provide which is not good considering the system it is powering needs to really be within 1 or 2 % of the expected voltages.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »
+1

The power rating on the power supply is not everything. The stablity of the power output and voltage output it gives you is also a large measure. Some power supplies have up to a +/- 20% on the output voltage it can provide which is not good considering the system it is powering needs to really be within 1 or 2 % of the expected voltages.

Ohh, I see what you're saying.  Every so often our laser at work will get an error from the high voltage power supply if it's unable to output the correct v.  I'll have to check what kind of voltage tolerances this power supply has.  Is there a way to check the current output volts from the power supply while the computer's running?  I thought I saw it somewhere in bios once for diagnostics.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 02:44:51 PM »
+1
another thought - take out and put back in your video board and check to make sure the pins on the cable are all straight.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 04:12:41 PM »
+1

Ohh, I see what you're saying.  Every so often our laser at work will get an error from the high voltage power supply if it's unable to output the correct v.  I'll have to check what kind of voltage tolerances this power supply has.  Is there a way to check the current output volts from the power supply while the computer's running?  I thought I saw it somewhere in bios once for diagnostics.

Yes there are several software packages you can get on the net that will monitor your voltages for you while running.

Here is a link to one of the above mentioned software packages but you can use others also. This one  supports a wide array of motherboards and you can see which ones in the readme. It is a very good package of software.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:18:20 PM by Masscre »

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
+1
it froze up earlier just browsing the internet.

the display froze on the screen and nothing ever happened.  the reset & power buttons didn't even do a thing...  lol.  so weird.

ill start checking things out tomorrow.  today was a boring day of watching scripts run while wondering if i wana play!

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 01:49:43 PM »
+1
If your board is a gigabyte, you may have the heatsink problem i've been reading about. Fix is to pull heat sinks, redo thermal paste, maybe replace heatsink standoffs with shorter one's and replce heatsinks.

Thats on both nor and south bridges.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Tags: