Author Topic: Need computer help asap!  (Read 2623 times)

Offline onlyindreamsTopic starter

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Need computer help asap!
« on: June 22, 2010, 02:47:09 PM »
My parent's pc has died. The button on the front of their old case broke and it wouldn't turn on the comp. Assuming the broken button was the issue my dad got a new case. I built their computer probably 3-5 years ago and it's ran beautifully until the button broke. So I put the hardware into the case with no issues. I push the power button and the computer doesn't turn on. I've opened the case and the green light on the motherboard is on, which I assume means it's getting power. It doesn't give any beeps or anything though. So I assume the power supply and motherboard are ok, though I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong. The fans don't run (yes they're plugged in) and well, nothing runs. Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Scrripty

Re: Need computer help asap!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:31:21 PM »
It will probably end up being the motherboard or power supply.  If it was the ram--and everything else was OK--you'd be getting a ram beep error.  Could be power supply...

Try this: disconnect all the drives and remove all the cards except video. Then see if you at least get a posting screen. If so then the problem is with one of the removed items.  If you remove everything but graphics, and you get no post... it's motherboard or power...  Or both? :)

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:37:48 PM »
I agree with Twinkle McNugget but am leaning toward the power supply.  Even though the green LED on the motherboard is lit does not mean much, it just means you have one of the different supplies from the power supply working and this does not mean it is in tolerence it just means it was enough to turn on the 1.7 volt dc LED.  Do you have access to a digital or analog meter?  I can walk you though alot of steps to determine which it is.

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
Twinkle McNugget - I'll give that a shot tomorrow when I'm back at their house.

Mass - I don't have access to a dig or analog meter.

I was thinking about taking it to a local computer shop to see if they wouldn't mind testing the power supply for me. I'll update tomorrow after I've had time to try those things!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 05:40:18 PM »
Most shops will just tell you its bad, they dont want take the time to check it.  They will just sell you a new one so be careful you dont buy something you dont need.

Scrripty

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
Most shops will just tell you its bad, they dont want take the time to check it.  They will just sell you a new one so be careful you dont buy something you dont need.

I had a friend who took her computer to a "local" repair shop like 10 times before she told me.  They charged her 100 bucks each time, and the last time they said it would take 2 weeks and be 200 bucks.  I fixed it over the phone for her by doing a use last known good configuration... don't take it to a shop unless you KNOW they are good, and even then, be wary. :)

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »
Ok. Bought a new power supply to test out (I can return it if it isn't the issue). The only things I'm plugging into the back of the computer are the power cable, monitor cable and keyboard.

I unplugged the RAM, CD drives and the Hard Drive, leaving only the video card. - Same thing. Nothing happens.

I unplugged the RAM, CD drives, Hard Drive and Video Card. - Same thing. Nothing happens.

I unplugged the RAM, CD drives. - Same thing

It's the motherboard isn't it?  :(

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 05:48:18 PM »
Try the order Twinkle McNugget mentioned or take everything out check the condition of the cpu and make sure it is reseated good if its ok and make sure it has good heatsink spread. plug in your Ram and video card also the monitor with everyhting else removed from the system. No power going anywhere except teh items plugged in including drives or usb devices and then tell us what you are getting.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:20:48 AM by Masscre »

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 08:33:58 AM »
It could be as simple as the pin for the power button got fried (or the wire is cut partially somewhere). Always look at the simple before the complicated! You know the power supply is good, you can see light on the motherboard (good sign), so the issue lies between the button and the motherboard....
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: