Author Topic: An Elf's ability to cast using a scroll ?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline SuperslayerTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Superslayer barely matters.Superslayer barely matters.
  • Well what do you drink? Not tea.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
An Elf's ability to cast using a scroll ?
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »
Hey guys, hoping someone can help a little here.  I'm wondering what are the chances that an Elf character can cast 'Unlock' using a mage scroll.  As it is, being an elf does not give the 20 pt. skill bonus that being a human would.  After all, being human receives the JoAT (jack of all trades), therefore allowing an 'invisible' 20 pts. across the board.  However, since using a scroll allows the caster to cast at a circle one level lower than the actual spell being cast, and 'Unlock' being a third level spell, would it be possible (albeit infrequent) for an elf to use the unlock scroll and eventually cast successfully?

As it is I don't have an elf character nor a scribe to make scrolls, and further, a container that can be 'unlocked' using only a scroll.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: An Elf's ability to cast using a scroll ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:07:52 AM »
I believe the scroll allows for two levels higher rather than one. A character with 0 magery has a 45% chance of successfuly casting a level 1 spell. I would guess that the Elf with a 3rd level scroll would succeed 45% of the time.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 04:57:33 AM »
Hey SS, well, I can tell you I just scribed 3 unlock scrolls, and my Elf with no magery was able to cast it 3 times in a row, I casted on a GM crafted and locked chest, so he was unable to actually unlock it, but casting the spell from the scroll was NO problem.
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 08:28:57 AM »
That's interesting and cool to hear guys, thanks  :) .  This is helpful for my WT script where getting a certain Malas Secret Location often results in the pouch being 'locked'.  Seems to automatically do this after a certain amount of time has passed after it has been unlocked.

I put this check in the sub to look for 'unlock scrolls' in the char backpack in the event the char has no magery.  Then I thought about the JoAT and being an elf.  So perhaps I can alter that sub to disregard the exception of being an elf with no magery, as long as an unlock scroll is available. 

I hope you all get the chance to check out this next release, (comming in a week or so).  It's quite an update.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:52:03 AM »
SS, I just noticed your Siggy.  Thanks for the plug!  :)  I've been meaning to do some generic ones, but can't find the time.

I suppose you can upgrade yours to "green" and Elite, no?  heh
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »
SS, I just noticed your Siggy.  Thanks for the plug!  :)  I've been meaning to do some generic ones, but can't find the time.

I suppose you can upgrade yours to "green" and Elite, no?  heh
hey thanks TM, ya, been wanting to do that for some time. Had some time the other night while my script was going.  I'm pretty proficient with PS CE, I didn't even think about making one green :)  and or red LOL  :P

Tags: