Author Topic: It's been a while...  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Devos712Topic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Devos712 has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
It's been a while...
« on: August 16, 2012, 07:04:34 AM »
Hi All! As the title implies, it's been a fair amount of time since I last stepped into the world of Britannia. I started playing when I was in 5th grade with my best bud and stopped after a few years when WoW came out (mid high school so you can sort of guess my age). You can say that UO and I have a relationship similar to one with an ex-girlfriend that you cheated on but keep thinking about. Anyway, I was recently on a little site called Reddit (while procrastinating at work of course) and thought "gee, why don't I check out the UltimaOnline subreddit - lo and belold! there was a relatively live community discussing the game. This got me intrigued and I recently rolled on what seems like one of the more popular free shards.

Took a quick look around the world since coming back and almost everything I once knew and loved has changed quite a bit. Not to say that this is bad at all, but it is rather... odd and new - not unlike seeing the ex and realized she's matured quite a bit since we last saw each other 10 years ago. I've lost that sense of exploratory wonder, but there are deep seeded feelings that never goes away as well as a sense of fascination to see what new things I can discover. The first time I saw a player named "a dog" and NPCs like Nadia the bald female wandering healer brought back droves of fun memories! Of course, the first time I tried leveling my fencing on a cat outside of town and almost died brought back quite a few bad ones as well... And that's what brought me here to the ScriptUO community!

I was never a big Scripter back in the good old days, mainly due to the fact that I was in middle school and basically computer illiterate (I never even touched UO Assist or other programs that could help). I knew there were such programs out there but just never tried. In fact, I remember using a little known program called EZ Macro to record mouse and keyboard strokes for some rudimentary scripting. Now, after getting a college degree and a few years working in the oh-so-exciting world of finance, I hope I have gained a bit more IQ to truly understand scripts and the full experience it can bring to an Ultima Online player.

Really hoping the guys here can help bring me from that 5th grade newbie running around mining by hand and getting ganked by a ridiculous amount of PKs who seem to be able to find me no matter which obscure location I run to (never getting past 90% skill because I would get too bored) or click-casting spells to train magery on his tillerman for 5 hours a day after school to one of the elite UO players that I always dreamed of being!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: It's been a while...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 07:21:58 AM »
Wow, another great intro!  It's great to see when an old veteran returns.

Welcome to the site!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 07:48:53 AM »
welcome back to the real world :)
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:58:01 AM »
Thanks - great to be back!

Where do most people play nowadays?

Also, scripting will give me something to do while I day dream about UO during my job  ;) :-\

Offline MeWonUo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • MeWonUo barely matters.MeWonUo barely matters.
  • Respect: +85
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »
Welcome to the site Devos712!

Atlantic is definitely the most populated shard nowadays.  However the quieter shards definitely have their scripting advantages.. :D

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.2%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »
Welcome!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

I'm considering staying on the free shards for a while at least since it seems the playing ground is a bit more "fair" there.

Being a newb running around amidst 15 year veterans doesn't sound too appealing haha...

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »
wow, some great intros of late.  thx for putting in the time.  i hope to see you on the boards and that you find this site supportive

Offline Cooms

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Cooms has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Welcome!!! :)

Offline D