Author Topic: When Cyberpunk leaves you feeling empty... Go Find a UO shard!@!  (Read 2006 times)

Offline DakDrakenTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • DakDraken has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Hey all!

Dak Draken here.  My UO history goes all the way back to the 97-98 era.  It started off with a Mickey's Ice 40oz and half a case of Milwaukee's Best Ice....
We were thrashing the park on our boards and slamming beers. There was no park left unguarded from our Shenanigans all the way to our tennis shoe soaked in rubbing alcohol. This magnificent cobbled together torch lit the way to the Anarchist Olympics!  Nothing like firecrackers and paintballs  after a long day surfing the pavement, except Ultima Online!

I know y'all thought that opening was way off base, but it all ties in.  The biggest dorks I knew were my skate bros, so ofcourse they introduced me to the digital crack that is UO.  We played Zulu Hotel in that old pre AOS era. Frankly, we sucked.  We barley knew what we were doing and constantly got ganked around the bank in Brittan. That lasted all of 6 months and I don't think any of us even GM'd a skill.  But that first taste was all it took.

I took a break until about 2005 after our frustrating attempt on Zulu Hotel.  But that's when we came upon the shard that became home - Oblivion Reloaded.  It was perfect. None of that unlimited skill cap BS. This shard had it right. 1000 skill cap, 325 stat cap. No Pay to W. Active community of about 50 regulars and maybe a grand total of 300 folks I ever met. OR was a modified Samurai Empire shard, but it locked out some skills like Spellweaving, Bushido, and Ninjitsu.  It also had custom races, Barbarian, elf, wood elf, Drow, human, Demon, etc.

Sitting around Vesper bank was where the vets watched newbs come and go, or grow into fellow guildmates. OR became an obsession.  My first char was a Chiv Dexer - still my fav class to this day. Katanas and cutlasses all day long.  I feel like it took a year to really round that char, but ultimately he was my first and favorite.  Still though, we couldnt keep up with the real vets of the shard.

Eventually I joined up with beastly guild and learned about the magic of Razor and later EasyUO.  Now I'd already had razor to boot up my client, but i had no idea about how different the game became once hot keys and macros came into play.  Hearing the buzz about macros in the guild and almost embarrassed that I wasnt already using them, I began making simple point and click macros in Razor, they sucked and barely worked , if they worked at all.  So finally I gave in, swallowed my pride, and asked.

BOOM ... EasyUO.  People that knew what they were doing shared the basics of a whole variety of programs.  That's when everything changed.  All of a sudden, I had a fencing necro/Nox/Mage poisioning everything with a fork.  That was my first attempt at a PK and truthfully, i was only middling at best. It cost me a ton in insurance, but it took the game to a whole 'nother level.

I was out coming Fel looking for unsuspecting newbs and I ran into the coolest tamer I ever met. I'll leave the name out to keep anonymity, but he/she was soloing an area we normally crawled 3-5 deep, and kicking ass at it.   Instead of even attempting a kill, I knew I'd get wrecked, I asked "how in the hell was that performance even possible". Cool enough I was shown. That began the era of my first tamer. A Chiv/Archer/Mage/Tamer I think I even snuck some peacemaking in, although i never capped it.

Next thing you know i was running 5 Tropical Ostards (shard custom, they acted as a pack and poisoned to interupt spells) and I owned on the shard. It was the most fun I ever had, and it was largely in part thanks to a solid community and EasyUO.  And god did I need easUO, because it was THE game changer.

Unfortunately, after about 6 years on OR people began dropping like flies. Like all good things you ride the wave to the crest of the golden age, then leave, or watch the inevitable end. I stayed until attendance was lucky to break 5 on any given day. But it wasnt the same without the bank sitters and threat of PK when venturing into Fel Champs. So I put UO down and moved on to other healthier habbits.  Can you imagine not a year later I was competing in 30+mile adventure races including swmming, kayaking, mt biking, and running? Far cry from sitting on a PC, but it was essential needed some balance in life.

So still having a love for games, but far less time to play, now having a professional career and family, I gave in and bought a ps4 at the start of the pandemic. 9 months later, I'm ready to drop all the fancy new games and get back to my all time favorite UO.

After trying a few shards, I found ParagonUO. Similar stat and skill cap to OR, but with some amzing pet and spell tweaks.  It's very new, only 4 months old, so everyone is pretty cool about helping out. It looks like I'll be settling in here and calling it home. But once again things have evolved since I last played.

I dl'd Razor and OSI classic got logged in and took the tour, even linked up the best guild on the shard.  The problem though, my mouse felt like it was moving though jelly inside the client after the log in screen.  The only solution I could find (thanks to my new guidemates mainly) was to get a different version of Razor and use ClassicUO a seperate client from OSI.  Now all of a sudden easyUO doesn't work.

So here I am, looking for an active forum in 2021 to play a game that peaked in 2006 and that's how I found ScriptUO.

I'm praying someone on here can sympathize and guide me on one of a few paths.  Either I need to learn what the F is wrong with my mouse in OSI, so I can use my old EasyUO scripts, Or I need to learn to write scripts in I believe python for the new Razor. Or ScriptUO is the hidden gem of the internet and it will work with ClassicUO.

So Hi everyone. Great to meet you! Happy to share anything I know or learn, I just want to play some god damn UO again!!!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    1.4%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: When Cyberpunk leaves you feeling empty... Go Find a UO shard!@!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 01:31:34 PM »

A Warm Welcome!

Thanks for your excellent introduction - restricted status lifted - feel free to enjoy all the benefits of the site!

WELCOME!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 03:20:10 PM »
Hi Gimlet!  Thanks for lifting me.

Can you tell me?  Does ScriptUO work with ClassicUO?

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    1.4%
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:36:03 PM »
ScriptUO is not a substitute for easyuo. It is what I use to write and format scripts. It does not run scripts.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 05:04:48 AM »
Can I use it assist writing my Razor Scripts?

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    1.4%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 07:41:25 AM »
sorry i have no clue - try it!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 09:28:28 AM »
Can I use it assist writing my Razor Scripts?

You'd be better of using a dedicated editor like Notepad++ for Razor scripts.  You could use ScriptUO.exe, but it's dedicated to highlighting only EasyUO syntax.  Notepad++ is TOTALLY AWESOME for everything else.

ALSO!

Most enjoyable intro!  Thanks a bunch for sharing your story!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 10:21:37 AM »
I appreciate all the feed back!  Best new is ...  I was able to fix my mouse issue and can use EasyUO again.  Now I can start tweaking my old favs!!!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.2%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 07:02:42 PM »
Welcome to SUO!

Tags: