Author Topic: a big Hello from an old newbye  (Read 2187 times)

Offline watooTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • watoo has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
a big Hello from an old newbye
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »
Hi there,
Just a few sentence to introduce myself, and in a way explaim the title ...
I call myself an old player as i play uo for 10 years now ans still spend all my evenings running around in the kingdom of britannia.
But I must admit i'm just a newbye in scripting as i discovered euo for only 2 years. Today, I discovered ScriptUO and I'm curious to see how it works.
I don't have much knowledge in programming so i never did a script all by myself, but i learn and try to understand most of the scripts i use and 2 or 3 times  i managed to do minors changes so that it work like i would like it to do (but never gave those modified files to anybody). May be I should not have write this, but in it is only a way for me to improve my knowledge in programming (and test it) and in no way I want to hurt or steal the work of someone else. My goal is to manage to write a brand new script all by myself ......
Time will tell if it is a realistic goal.
And, yes, as I'm french, my english can be surprising from time to time. ...

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • JustAnotherFace has no influence.
  • My new toy....
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: a big Hello from an old newbye
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:16:19 AM »
Welcome to the site!  You will find lots of help here to get you started on you way to writing scripts.  You have the most important part already, the desire to learn.  From there, it is all down hill.  My best suggestion is to think of a simple task that you would like to do, then attempt to write a script to perform that simple task.  Post up your idea and your script, and ask for advice and / or help to make it function correctly.  You will find that there are a lot of great people here that will try to help you learn.  Be prepared to do research, don't just expect someone to write the script for you and hand it back to you.  You don't learn anything that way.  Best of luck!!

JaF
All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:46:51 AM »
Thanks you for your warm welcome

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • JustAnotherFace has no influence.
  • My new toy....
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:53:19 AM »
No problem!  I'm sure a Mod will browse through this thread soon and either lift your restriction, or tell you what you need to do to get it lifted.  For a non-english speaker, I think you did pretty well.

JaF
All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Or and Admin!  ;)

Welcome to the site.  I hope with my new job I'll be able to visit France since I'll be spending so much time in Germany again.  My ultimate trip home would be to hop on the train in Germany, go through France and leave from London.  I can dream, can't I?  heh
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 11:22:06 AM »
hehe TrailMyx, I live in the south of france, near the riviera, so it is not on the shorter way from germany to great britain, but i have a large house, so, who knows ....     it is the kind of dreams i love, those which seem crazy.    5 years ago a guildmate, on europa, came to visit me in real life....  good memories ....

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »
Nice!  That means you have roughly the same weather as we do here in San Diego, CA!.  Gorgeous most all the year.

Also planning on skiing the Swiss Alps with my down time.  Yet another dream!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: