4 (33.3%)
Satellite $0 - $50
2 (16.7%)
Satellite $51 - $100
1 (8.3%)
Satellite $101 - $$$$
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Cable or Satellite  (Read 5184 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Cable or Satellite
« on: July 29, 2010, 06:20:10 AM »
Television service only. Total bill per month cost.

Feel free to discuss the best packages, services and equipment here as well.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Cable or Satellite
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 08:51:19 AM »
DishNetwork or as us hackers know them as Charlie.  They have some really good packages for less than 50 bucks to be had if you look around and shop.  Also if you are a new customer you will get a lot of package extras for free. For new customers HD is free. If you sign up for bank draft or paperless billing you can get showtime and cinemax for 12 months for .01.  Also new customers recieve HBO for free the first 3 months. If you look at the bronze or spanish packages they can be had for 35 bucks or less.  I have a spanish package for 29.99 and it includes all the good channels in english also you just change the audio format on the reciever.  Spanish packages are the best for the price and you still get everything in english it just cheaper priced package. Most do not know about this. Any question of ideas leave here or drop me a line.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »
It's a little difficult to have this conversation outside of the scope of Internet and Phone service though. These additional services drastically impact my decision to go with cable over satellite. You simply cannot compare price-wise otherwise IMO.

Im my area I'm stuck with Comcast and I truly hate them. Unfortunately the package I get through them beats everyone else in the region hands-down. I can't get the same kind of bandwidth from anybody else (there is no FIOS here) and they offer package discounts if you stack services. Satellite can offer cheaper packages but they don't give you the same programming for the $. Furthermore, speaking for Comcast at least, the cable companies tend to have MANY more HD channel offerings; this is also extremely important.

Last, I don't want a satellite dish hanging off the side of my house. It just looks like crap.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 09:10:35 AM »
Oh I agree. What do satty people use for internet anyways?
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
Oh I agree. What do satty people use for internet anyways?
DSL?
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline SunTigress

• TopTwo's Woman
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • SunTigress has no influence.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:19:34 AM »
I agree with 12. Granted, I really don't know much about our internet speed or anything else, but on our package, we pay ~$100 for TV and Internet, and they said we can have phone or not, either way we (and the people who don't get it) are paying for the phone. So, we have the phone too, which is nice because we don't have great cell phone reception in our house, and we can call unlimited long-distance, plus tons of features, like forwarding the calls to one of our cells. We have pretty good internet, and I don't have any idea what packages we have on the TV. I think we have the sports package  ;)
If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then give up. There is no use in making a fool of yourself.

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 12:02:08 PM »
If you are a big sports fan I think satellite is a must have! You got all these sports packages. Every year I get NHL Center Ice and NCAA Football Gameday. Satellite is kind of annoying if its storming since it cuts out. However, the customer support for DirecTV or Dish Network is outstanding compared to cable.

I no longer have a home phone. Also, I use DSL for internet.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 12:44:48 PM »
Last, I don't want a satellite dish hanging off the side of my house. It just looks like crap.

You dont have to have the Dish on your house this is upto the customer and because most customers do not say anything about it they get it placed on there house.  Now my Sat System is on a 10 foot parabolic dish with motor.  So I dont get any rain fade :)

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 02:15:29 PM »
Yeah DirecTV told me I would not get any rain fade....

They lied! haha

But I'm still happy with service.

Offline Rheeanna

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Rheeanna has no influence.
  • It's all good
  • Respect: +6
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »
my local DSL here rocks, except I changed over to the cable package.  

I found it harder to set up the home network.   Hubby and I were looking into dish network, EXCEPT.... Hubby has a tv in every room of the house.   Don't you have to have a box connected to each tv?  That just wouldn't work here.    I'm surprised he doesn't have TV installed in the closet so he doesn't miss something while changing channels at the speed of light  :o

For now, we stick with cable.   BTW, after the package was up, I called my cable company and said, you know, its cheaper for me to go to the other guys.  The man on the other line put me back on promotional.  I pay $96.00 for internet and cable.  (HD, no dvr, I have a computer hooked to it as well).

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:20:28 PM by Rheeanna »

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 07:35:04 PM »
Satellite.

1) Comcast suxxors.  I would go a long way to avoid dealing with them.
2) I have a LAN in my house provided by the HOA.  Huge internetz speeds, no cost to me. 
3) More HD channels
4) DirectTV offers screaming deals for new customers. 29/mo, with a couple premier chans for free for 3-6 months.  After 6 months, you pay full rate.

Bad things:
1) Bad weather = bad reception.  This is usually just heavy rain or snow, unless high winds knock your dish out of alignment
2) Satellite internet is bad juju when you're pvping.  Ping times are high.  Your signal is traveling a minimum of 46,000 miles (23K to geosynchronous orbit and then back to earth).

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 07:40:30 PM »
HOA's are the Devil!

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 08:52:56 PM »
Not when you're renting and the landlord pays the dues.

8)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 09:33:45 PM »
HOA's are the Devil!

Yes indeedy.  My house here in SD is free, but my land in New Mexico is nearly $900/yr.  My girly pays nearly $300/month for her condo!!!!

Back to topic; tricked out cable for me.

Comcast does suck.  It's like 10x slower internet-wise than my Cox connection.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 01:31:52 AM »
For TV, just stick with basic TV. Watch everything on Hulu or download torrents of TV Shows the next day... The only thing I miss is ESPN and NFL Network, so that makes me say go Direct TV.

Tags: