Author Topic: Hello good people  (Read 1439 times)

Offline mmoore5325Topic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • mmoore5325 has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Hello good people
« on: September 23, 2014, 11:11:56 PM »
My name is Mike, everyone calls me Mac.  Just back in the game within the last month or so, and havent played since AoS.  My cousin and I had a few drinks one night and started rehashing the good ole days of UO, and it wasn't too long before we came back.  I started reading about all the cool stuff people have done with the game regarding these scripts, and I am finding the fun things you can do with scripts almost as intriguing as the game itself.  I am interested in learning how to program.  I am getting ready to graduate college, and am now wishing I had gone down the software engineer route.  I am wanting to find a way to go back to school because this stuff has always interested me, but would love to know where a good place to start would be when trying to learn the things I need to know to help me get a good start here.  What kind of programming languages would be good to try and learn before I even begin to attempt to make scripts.  I figure it will be a long road but I am eager to learn.

Thanks alot, looking forward to talking to everyone on the forum!

Mac

Post Merge: September 23, 2014, 11:20:23 PM
Oh, and if you want my UO history, I used to play with SoB on Great Lakes back in the Pre-AoS days.  I quit sometime after AoS came around.  We claimed Moonglow as our hometown.  Ill never forget seeing the people name their animals vulgar things and attach our guild initials on to the pets.  "SoBSuxDik."  And when I came back, I went and did a champion spawn with my cousin, a red showed up and killed us.  It felt good to see a red show up and get that, "Oh *bleep*!" feeling again.  Our guild ran all the dungeons, mainly pvp and player killing.  I am playing OSI again, and the game has changed alot.  It seems mostly for the better.  This is one game that will never get old.  I have played other games between now and then, but none have that horizontal gameplay that UO has.  Its not a race from beginning to end with UO.  Once you finish building your character, then you move on to something else, because there is always something that is needing done.  "Ok, get 120 swords, time to check my plants.  Ok, plants are good, time to go get my BODs.  Ok, got BODs..."

But like I said, the scripting aspect of it interests me alot, and all the different things you can do once you learn how to use Object ID's and stuff to your advantage.  And I would like to take what I learn here on to other things.  But right now I need to learn the basics, so help with that would be appreciated, as in a good place to start, and what language that would be.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:20:23 PM by mmoore5325 »

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hello good people
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:13:25 AM »
Thank you for the intro and welcome to SUO. restricted status is lifted, and you are free to roam around.
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 06:39:06 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
Welcome aboard :)

But like I said, the scripting aspect of it interests me alot, and all the different things you can do once you learn how to use Object ID's and stuff to your advantage.  And I would like to take what I learn here on to other things.  But right now I need to learn the basics, so help with that would be appreciated, as in a good place to start, and what language that would be.

There are multiple programs you can script in: EasyUO, OpenEUO, Stealth, ... any more?
Personally i still use EasyUO because frankly i'm used to it. It's an older program and can be downloaded at www.easyuo.com. They have a good documentation at http://wiki.easyuo.com/index.php/Documentation which can get you started fairly quickly on some basic things. You can find scripts for it both here and there.

Having said that, Stealth looks really interesting if you are starting to learn. There you have multiple languages you can script in: Turbo Pascal, Python, not sure what else but it's listed here on the forums (http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?board=145.0). You don't even need to open a UO client in order to access the server & script away.

OpenEUO you can also find on these forums but honestly i have no idea what the status is on that and how widely it is being used.
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

Tags: