5 (13.9%)
Big Donation Store
2 (5.6%)
Amount of Players
6 (16.7%)
Server Location
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: What do you look for in a freeshard?  (Read 16986 times)

Offline TidusTopic starter

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
What do you look for in a freeshard?
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:39:46 AM »
+1
So as a freeshard owner i am putting this out to the users of my favorite website to see what people look for in a freeshard. I know the poll is limited, so please add your opinions as a reply to this topic.  You can place 2 votes on this poll because i know it is never just one thing that drives you to a freeshard. I am doing this to help us develop our shard to bring in more quality players. There are a few on this site that help me run this freeshard, but i will not disclose who they are unless they want to.  I know it is not an official ScriptUO freeshard but we would love to have more ScriptUO members help develop this server into a well run and fun to play server.

Post away!
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: What do you look for in a freeshard?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »
+1
One vote I'd give that's not shown is a vote for dedicated development staff.  One of the failures of so many freeshards is the devs come and go.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 11:39:36 AM »
+1
where is the option for PLAYERS
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »
+1
MW and Tm what options should i add to the poll?
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »
+1
Maybe change the well known staff, to dedicated staff.  I could be a well known staff member, but everyone knows that TrailMyx doesn't do crap. ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crome969

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 10:43:34 PM »
+1
Maybe change the well known staff, to dedicated staff.  I could be a well known staff member, but everyone knows that TrailMyx doesn't do crap. ;)
Dedicated Staff is a problem on the whole scene, most shard owners are fresh learning programming or might camed from the euo scene.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 11:03:07 PM »
+1

Dedicated Staff is a problem on the whole scene, most shard owners are fresh learning programming or might camed from the euo scene.

Tidus, be sure to shackle Crome and keep him in your closet.  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline said3

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • said3 has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 12:26:41 AM »
+1
I think one of the biggest issues of every freeshard are PLAYERS as mentioned before, everytime i was looking for a freeshard i was trying to chose the one with the highest number of players + max content of SA/HS, but as i figured out, there are a lot of people that hate imbuing and the new system.

One of the main reasons to play UO is skill development but another important reason (and for me the fun part) is spending time on making suits from barbed runics or valorite hammers, right now, where i play, there are implemented mostly every single arty from HS and SA, but imbuing is deactivated, so it promotes that kind of old school uo.

I have to say i've played 2 years on an imbuing server and it's not that bad, you only have to get used to it and his new possibilities.

So Players + Development = Success imo.

Sorry for my english i know i messed up with the writing quite a few times.

Good Luck.

Offline Crome969

• Activity:
    0%
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 12:54:39 AM »
+1
What a shard need in my eyes are as followed :

- Developers in native or non native english
- Project Manager in native english, they need to work out ideas and communicate tight with developers
- Editors in native English being able to work on Text and gramar. Non native developers will have trouble to design english content. Like writing Quests and such. Editors job is also to write up News based on changelog and support the Wiki-Authors.
- Gamemaster \ Wiki-Authors \ Event Manager , shouldnt be involved into the first 3 positions, their job is to finish the missing work eg. Support, Informations or Events. Event Managers are also involved into content development. They raise up Ideas on a first revision and the project manager is
Owner : An Owner can be involved in 1, max 2 positions. If he is involved in more its contraproductive..
Owner is also responsible for payments.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:35:18 AM by Crome969 »

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 08:58:20 PM »
+1

Tidus, be sure to shackle Crome and keep him in your closet.  :)
He tends to chew through his ropes....  just call him Jaws

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 12:57:24 PM »
+1
Oh and i updated the Poll.

Offline madgar29

• Activity:
    0%
  • madgar29 has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 04:21:18 PM »
+1
 I will not play on a free shard that has a skill limit... I think it should be unlimited, also who needs regs??? so annoying! thank god for LRC suits

Offline Crome969

• Activity:
    0%
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »
+1
I will not play on a free shard that has a skill limit... I think it should be unlimited, also who needs regs??? so annoying! thank god for LRC suits
This Discussion could be runned endlessly :
- Why you need to farm Gear? Better Free Items
- Why you need factions? Better PVP anywhere
- And if you not need to farm, not need to skill not need anything... why spawning a world? Just make a room and let it drop ;)

Offline slimebucket

• Activity:
    0%
  • slimebucket has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 02:41:14 PM »
+1
lots of players and  NO Trammel !

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 11:05:25 AM »
+1

You may only select up to all options.

Awesome Website
 Functioning Wiki
 Custom Content
 OSI Content
 Dedicated Staff
 Amount of Players
 Server Location

All of the above are importante to attract people and keeping them.   Right now is a nice balance. I love that this server have custom that are simple and functional add on.   New Pet, spwam.  I'm sure I haven't see all the custom yet.   The Server require a few tweak, but it normal and ok in my book.         

I would excpet that I can kill low end monster and still have a chance to have an excellent piece of armour. I'm not talking about rewamp loot from OSI, but someting that can be runic craft had a chance to found in the loot.  As a newbie started on a shard, it hard to get awesome gear, and we know that gear is 75% it not 90% of be able to play.    I had the chance to find a awesome group of people that help me. 

I would agre with  said3.  What I don't like is to spend long hrs ( 5h to 10h) and not getting anything on return.  Talking about special drop, runic, artifact.   We all have better task to do in life and in game. 

Tags: Freeshard  opinion