Author Topic: Beginner's guide to memory reading/writing  (Read 15127 times)

Offline ZigZagZebraTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ZigZagZebra has no influence.
  • Respect: +12
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Beginner's guide to memory reading/writing
« on: February 08, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »
So I wanted to post a few good resources I'd stumbled upon as of late, because I've been a long time EUO user and have always held Cheffe to be a sort of wizard of Oz for the UO scripter community. For those interested, like myself, in how a program like this works, here are a few articles on manipulating programs through editing memory.

Though I believe EUO is written in delphi, I'm a .NET guy myself, so I figure I'd offer C# resources.

Without further adieu...

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/15680/How-to-write-a-Memory-Scanner-using-C
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/670373/Csharp-Read-Write-another-Process-Memory

Here's an example of this with minesweeper:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/3501/Minesweeper-Behind-the-scenes

Offline luamage

• Activity:
    0%
  • luamage has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's guide to memory reading/writing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 02:37:28 AM »
Indeed, using C# to invoke low level win32 APIs has it benefits. If you want to save yourself the pain of assembling all this method stubs and data structures, you should have a look at http://www.pinvoke.net/ as well :)

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:56:00 AM »

Offline ZigZagZebraTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • ZigZagZebra has no influence.
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »
I was hoping you'd chime into this thread Crome!

Thanks for the suggestions and link to the git repository for UOMachine. I'll add that in to my list of applications to explore.

Very cool idea about using markup to share the information. At a higher level, I consider that akin to providing tables on EUO item ids for reference. Still challenges others interested in playing with the low-level details and builds a community around development.

and Lua, its funny you mention pinvoke, I just dug that site up this week and have it bookmarked at work. Right now I'm trying to develop a windows service by group policy that closes a particular application after x amount of time the application is idle. I'm just over a quarter century old, so a lot of learning for me to do, but I like to think what I lack in experience I possess in fervor!

Any good resources for writing custom libraries for applications? That's an interest of mine also.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 06:09:05 AM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:13:18 AM by Crome969 »