Author Topic: Killer Pancakes  (Read 14728 times)

Offline HalfMercyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • HalfMercy has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Killer Pancakes
« on: May 30, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »
Okay, once again, we start off with store-bought stuff and tweak it into something better! :)

2 cups Great Value Pancake & Waffle Mix (They claim this makes 12-18 pancakes, but that's only if they're the size of silver dollars. I like BIG pancakes.)
1/2 cup cold water

At this point, what you add depends on the type of pancake you're making:

Plain/Banana/Chocolate Chip: 1 cup of milk + as much banana or chips as you like
Berry: 1 cup of milk, 1 tablespoon of store-bought honey, and a double-handful of fresh or thawed berries
Apple: 1/2 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 cup of applesauce, and chopped baked apples (Fresh apples would be hard as a rock even after cooking; baking them is a must. Core them, bake them in an oven at 350 for 11 minutes, allow them to cool for a bit, take the skin off, and chop them up)

Whisk your lumps out and keep going until the batter is kind of frothy/bubbly. Should be fairly thick, not thin and runny.

Heat a griddle to 250 or frying pan to medium-low heat and melt some real salted butter in there. Ladle in a healthy amount of your batter and let it fry until the side facing up looks like it's fairly firm and has a bunch of little holes on it where bubbles formed and popped. Turn down the heat a hair, add a little more butter to the pan and flip once. The milk will give the pancake a great crisp to it while still leaving the inside soft. No matter what kind of syrup you normally use, try this: spring for some local honey and throw a tablespoon of it in a pot with your syrup. Heat it gently and stir constantly for just a couple of minutes.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:38:59 AM by HalfMercy »

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Killer Pancakes
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:06:02 PM »
Ah, a pancake expert!   Is the great value mix a Walmart thing?  I've been using Big Train mix because of the lower carb thing.  Makes OK pancakes.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline HalfMercyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • HalfMercy has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:01:04 AM »
Yep, Great Value is the Walmart brand. It's the first and only pancake mix I've tried so far. I'm bad in that when I find something I really like, I'll get stuck on it for a long time instead of continuing to try new things. I do believe though that you can get to a point where a recipe is as good as it's going to get and the only way to improve it more or change things up is to try different brands, so I'd try out the Big Train and see how it goes.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 09:07:31 AM »
Big Train is somewhat of an acquired taste.  Since it's low carb, mostly all that tastes like wall plaster or spackle.  This at least is the best of what is considered some of the worst things you can crave when you are doing the low-carb thing.  It's also hella-expensive.  All that said, at least I can itch my pancake crave successfully on this wacky diet!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: