Author Topic: 2 buck Chuck (Shiraz), should you do it?  (Read 12900 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
2 buck Chuck (Shiraz), should you do it?
« on: June 28, 2008, 10:45:02 PM »
For $1.99 at Trader Joe's, you can get a bottle of wine.  (with a cork!).  However, should you waste your 2 bucks on this Charles Shaw?  This year, I have to say NO way. I tried a bottle last night and pitched it.  This was the Shiraz 2006.  It was ok until I sensed what tasted like soaking nails.  Bleah.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nicar has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: 2 buck Chuck (Shiraz), should you do it?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:31:19 AM »
I always worry about the 2-5 dollar wines. I'm getting married in Sept and we have to buy the beer/wine. My Stepmom said just get the St. Genevieve, the big bottles for like $5, but, I just do not know about the cheap bottles.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:31:50 AM »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Nicar has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »
That would be hard to try coming from my mom too. Is the red table wine kinda like a Merlot/Pinot Noir/Cabernet?  Think that's why red table wine is scarry.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 07:04:22 PM »
That would be hard to try coming from my mom too. Is the red table wine kinda like a Merlot/Pinot Noir/Cabernet?  Think that's why red table wine is scarry.

Yes, some of the table wines are blends of those you mention and more.  Really whatever is left aft the end of the day in quantity.  I just finished a $3.99/bottle version which I'll write a proper review of that's got like 7 different varieties.  Finally a cheap drinker that's not going to be put down the drain!  At the moment, I can't feel my toes.. ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gateCrasher

• Activity:
    0%
  • gateCrasher has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:18:30 AM »
Ok, when you make it rich, go pick up an estate bottle of Quintessa (Cabernet). It goes for about 550 bucks for the magnum sized bottle in nice restaurants, so you should be able to order a normal size (.750 litre) online or from a local vendor for around 200 or a little less.

Best wine I ever drank.

/gC

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:26:44 PM »
I started trying the cheaper ones a while back due to a bad run-in with a really expensive bottle. That thing was hidious (hmm, and I can't remember now what it was - many have been an old Penfold).  Anyhow, after that started to wonder if the expensive ones could be crappy, why not have the cheap ones be good.

I live within SKUD missle range of Temicula, and have done the winery taste testing crawl a few times now.  There are some good "cheap" local wines.  Not as cheap as I would like, but nothing like the $200/bottle junk you mention.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gateCrasher

• Activity:
    0%
  • gateCrasher has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 04:24:59 PM »
I started trying the cheaper ones a while back due to a bad run-in with a really expensive bottle. That thing was hidious (hmm, and I can't remember now what it was - many have been an old Penfold).  Anyhow, after that started to wonder if the expensive ones could be crappy, why not have the cheap ones be good.

I live within SKUD missle range of Temicula, and have done the winery taste testing crawl a few times now.  There are some good "cheap" local wines.  Not as cheap as I would like, but nothing like the $200/bottle junk you mention.

Yeah, it is scary buying expensive wine. You definitely want to know what you're getting yourself into. Then there's the chance it has turned to vinegar if you're dealing with a vintage.

:/

Tags: