Author Topic: about participation!!  (Read 22789 times)

Offline KnightTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Knight has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
about participation!!
« on: July 27, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »
+1
i understand what your doing with that tm but their isnt alot of traffic here.. i see alot of post that are days before you see another persons post.. but i understand what your doing but different when their is alot of traffic here.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: about participation!!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »
+1
i understand what your doing with that tm but their isnt alot of traffic here.. i see alot of post that are days before you see another persons post.. but i understand what your doing but different when their is alot of traffic here.

Well, that's just it.  With this site totally open like it was, people could just drive in, snag the scripts and drive away.  I'll bet you'll be amazed that we're already getting over 200K hits a month?  I would hope with already that many hits there would be a bit more participation.  That's more than enough traffic to warrant a bit more interaction.

All that's changed anyhow is that *one* post is required.  Not gonna be the end of the world.  If people want access to the heartwood quester, then they'll have to be more active.

Anyone that's registered can download ScriptUO.  No posting limit.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:29:51 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:30:47 AM »
+1
I think it's a great idea personally. It would be wonderful to get a little community growth over here (not that I don't appreciate those that already frequent these halls).

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline KnightTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Knight has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:31:43 AM »
+1
yeah i like reading the new topics .. but alittle more traffic indeed i would like to see also. But all in good time i would guess :).

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 07:44:21 AM »
+1
Aye its a great idea, people who know they can just register, post a good intro, and get away with snatching all the scripts and never return sort of speak, isnt really what were looking for. Nothing is free in life, so why should it be here ;) Let them do a little effort, even if it isnt much, at least it will show some good will on there side.
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:27:56 AM »
+1
I have always been a fan of contribute in some meaningful fashion even if it is just hanging out and providing feedback before getting the "goods"

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Nicar has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 10:45:17 AM »
+1
Any of TM's scripts  are usually clean and easy to use, the post requirement is a given I think, especially for the Quester... that thing there, so many want/use.

Freddy

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »
+1
I had something like this installed on my site, but it didn't work out too well. Users would bitch and moan about having to make one post before being allowed to download anything. I've received tons of emails about it and decided to remove the post barrier until I can decide a proper way.

One thing I've learned is you can't force participation.

I could lock my site down, ban people for not posting or contributing, but that isn't something I want to do.

in the last 5 days, my site has received on average 33.2 posts per day and for the first 22 days of july, it was on average 84.18 posts per day.

I'm sure if my site was ran similar to how coders was it would get a lot more posts, but I'm not interested in doing that. Since this is your site Trailmyx, you can do whatever you want, run it how you want :P that's whats good about running a site, you're in control.

I don't script asm uch as I'd like, but I'll definitely try to stay active here :D  

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »
+1
Well, I'll let people whine about why they can't download, but in their one whining posting, they'll suddenly have access to 99.4% of the site.  ;)

Don't worry it won't get overboard.  It got too much at coders to handle really.  I don't have time to run a site full time and obsess about it, but it would be nice to see people just pop in and say "hi" before they decide to enjoy the scripts that we've come up with. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:00:01 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
+1

Honestly I think part of the problem for less traffic is people don't know about the site! If you google uo script this site is not on the top ten list so that rigth there is part of the problem. These big search engine companies totally have a monopoly on what information/sites gets out to the public and I'm sure there are plenty of kickbacks going on to google. Aren't they involved with some lawsuit against Yahoo? Maybe I have it mixed up but you get the point.

It takes a little searching to get to this site. It's not as accessible as some of the other sites which may or may not be a good thing.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 01:03:17 PM »
+1
I don't really do anything to taunt the google spiders.  But that's by design really.  I don't want to take over the world nor do I need the advertising per-click ad revenue.  I still just love this game, and I figure that people who like the site will spread the word.  I'm old fashioned that way.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 01:37:14 PM »
+1
I totally agree with that philosphy as I own my own business and the best advertising is by word of mouth. Sometimes it just takes a little time for word to get around but for sure the URL is a winner. I was just suprised that it took a litttle bit of looking to get here but I'm glad I made it and I'll be sure to tell the few friends I know and trust  :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 01:48:17 PM »
+1
I totally agree with that philosphy as I own my own business and the best advertising is by word of mouth. Sometimes it just takes a little time for word to get around but for sure the URL is a winner. I was just surprised that it took a litttle bit of looking to get here but I'm glad I made it and I'll be sure to tell the few friends I know and trust  :)

Good deal, I'd appreciate that.  It's hard to talk much about a site like this one in-game because there are waaay too many squealers out there.  I still form the opinion that if someone claims to hate scripting it's just because they haven't tried it yet.  Afterall, scripting just lets you perform the normal movements you would using normal game mechanics.  It just doesn't get bored/tired/distracted.  ;)

But yes, 2 months ago, ScriptUO wasn't even on the chart google-wise even though I've had the URL for quite a while.  I'll bet in another couple months, it'll be right up there. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 03:04:39 PM »
+1
I think once scriptuo comes into full blossom it is going to blow up on it's own :)

Offline javeevajones

• Activity:
    0%
  • javeevajones has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 11:52:56 AM »
+1
It's just a little difficult to come up with something to say when you haven't tried anything - other than I am looking forward to being able to download some scripts!!

Tags: