Author Topic: SSD Drives  (Read 8375 times)

Offline UltimaTopic starter

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
SSD Drives
« on: August 24, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
Has anyone upgraded their hardware to include SSD drives and if so what type of performance boost or enhancements have they noticed if anything?

Does having an SSD improve gaming experience in any way?

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: SSD Drives
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:16:53 PM »
Has anyone upgraded their hardware to include SSD drives and if so what type of performance boost or enhancements have they noticed if anything?

Does having an SSD improve gaming experience in any way?

It's only going to make disk I/O functions faster. The OS will load a TON faster, programs load faster. I wouldn't expect you would see much of a boost in play performance since everything is memory-resident once it's loaded. On the other hand, if you have a machine without enough memory then you'll be using paged memory a lot which can cause major performance issues. Although an SSD can help with this, you would be MUCH better off sinking the $$ into more memory.

My favorite use of SSD is for HTPC machines where there will be little to no large-storage required. The goal with a HTPC is always to minimize heat output, electricity consumption, and noise and a SSD is essential for these types of builds. For the price I usually recommend that people stick with loading the OS on SSD then use standard platters for general media storage. Of course if you are independently wealthy, SSD is much faster so buy as much as possible! ;)

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:04:02 PM »
Thanks to 12X! I have alot to learn...

What the hell is a HTPC Machine? Home Theatre PC? I would think that would require even more storage capacity no? How do they work...if and when you got the time?

I'll dig around a bit myself to see if I can't find out what it is and what they do?

I'm on a student budget right now so no big PC expenditures in my foreseeable future but I want to learn about what's out there.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:59:01 PM by Ultima »

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
What the hell is a HTPC Maching? Home Theatre PC? I would think that would require even more storage capacity no? How do they work...if and when you got the time?[/quot]
Yes, Home Theater PC. Often you store your actual media somewhere else on the network rather than on the HTPC itself since you want to make a low-profile PC for the entertainment center, I have all of my media currently on my regular PC shared out but I intend to move to a NAS device.

I'm on a student budget right now so no big PC expenditures in my foreseeable future but I want to learn about what's out there.
Been there! Ramen for the win!! ;)

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »
Since I'm going to be doing some more traveling coming up soon, I just purchased an ultra-thin laptop. 

http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/U36SD/

I also purchased a Crucial 256GB SATA3 6Gb/s SSD.  My god, is this little drive fast.  Here's a Youtube video of a before/after speed comparison:

&feature=related
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
Congrats TM very nice! Looks like that notebook has some potential to be a portable HTPC with that HDMI port.  8)

I'm jealous!

It'll be interesting to see the cost trend vs. capacity the next few years on SSDs. From what I've read the cost of SSDs won't be dropping at the same rate as SATAs.

Post some more feedback later on down the line when you've had more time to tinker with it...pros and cons etc if you remember I'd be interesting in hearing more. I don't know anyone else running SSD's. ;)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »
I'm new to the SSD thing myself.  Have heard mixed tails from people about speed vs. reliability issues.  I just found one that didn't seem to be too bad from the user responses.  I'm presently running dual WD-Black 2TB drives running RAID1(stripped) and that was pretty darn fast.  However this SSD at read speeds totally blows my RAID1 away.  I'll get benchmarks, but the difference is breathtaking.

Cost is still nearly prohibitive, though.  At $384 for 256GB, that's pretty painful.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
We were just learning RAID last week in my CompTia A+ Hardware class.

I have two drives and was hedging on whether or not to set them up in RAID 0 or RAID 1. I've read desktop users really don't see that much improved performance and I'm scared if I lose one of the drives! ???

I might back up everything to an external and give it a go just for the hell of it!

That video you posted was fast...looks liked it clocked in 3X faster loading the OS.

I'm still learning about SSD's obviously but I thought one of the draw backs of SSDs was there is a limited write ability on them? Have you heard that and know if there is any truth to it? Maybe that's where the reliability comes into play... I thought they were supposed to be even MORE reliable because there are no moving parts on the SSDs.

I'm drooling over this stuff! So much stuffs I want out there but I better hold onto my money for school books! ;)

Offline Goliath

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Goliath has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »
I have been looking to buy a new gaming PC at www.cyberpowerpc.com and looked at the SSD.  I don't think I can justify the cost versus what you gain.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 08:40:40 AM »
I am in love with my SSD in my new laptop! 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Goliath

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Goliath has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:43:47 AM »
True.. But when I am already throwing extra money at the processor, RAM, and graphics can I possibly justify the extra for an SSD versus the cost?  Keep in mind that I am referring to a gaming PC.  Although I do have to use it for remoting into servers for work on occasion, but nothing big there.

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 10:35:20 AM »
Looks like there is a limited write capacity on SSDs however it doesn't appear to be an issue unless your writing 24/7 for 5+ Years.  It shouldn't ever really effect  your average  PC user. Large companies running servers 24/7 may run into problems but home users shouldn't.

Next PC I get I will shoot for getting an SSD to use for OS and then a good size SATA 3.0 for storage. By that time that happens I'm sure there will be something, smaller, better and faster on the market.

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Newsman has no influence.
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »
I did some extensive research on this. Many of the fastest SSDs are very unreliable.  The most reliable SSDs generally produce the slowest speeds.

Tags: