Author Topic: Broke the Computer! :(  (Read 11535 times)

Offline UltimaTopic starter

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Broke the Computer! :(
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 11:20:29 AM »
You'll need the operating system too, because the mobo is "tattooed" with the OS.  And a new mobo, is new computer.  But you can get away for $100 or less buying the Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4 GHz it came with, if the mobo isn't fried.

These proprietary companies really go out of their way to stick it to you. How is the mobo "tatooed" with the OS?

The original plan was to wipe his HDD and then install windows Vista OS. That wouldn't have worked regardless then eh'?

Fortunately we got all his important data off the drive before I started messing with it.

All this stuff is even more reason I don't want to replace the PC with parts that are proprietary in nature and just start new with ATX Form Factor.

About the HDD and the DVD drive...please don't tell me those are some how tatooed as well or have proprietary elements to them.

Offline seeriusly

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • seeriusly has no influence.
  • Respect: +40
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 11:25:59 AM »
"what is a mobo tattoo" http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-motherboard-tattoo.htm

The original plan would've worked fine. If it was a brand new vista OS and not one that has been used before, it would then re-tattoo itself to the bios, and the old xp would be replaced.

The HDD and disk drive aren't fixed to anything.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 11:30:37 AM »
I have transferred to other motherboards before.  Actually the problem might come up if you have a drastic change in the BIOS version.  If that happens, you will be forced to call Microsoft.  If that happens, when I explained that I just did a BIOS upgrade, they went ahead and OKed my installation.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 12:29:06 PM »
My wife would kill me if I did any pro boner work!

Offline Goliath

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Goliath has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 01:17:25 PM »
You know.. This whole thing reminds me of a saying that I learned in the military.  If you ask someone for help or directions and the first words from their mouths is "It's easy."  Go somewhere else! 

1) It is probably never that easy.
2) They are idiots.

or 3) They will inevitably leave some detail out of the instructions when explaining it to you.

Possibly a combination of them as well:)

Don't get discouraged though my friend.  Even in the professional IT world mistakes are made constently and few mistakes are impossible to recover from.  You will be fine.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »
Some tips (having built a good 25-30 computers from scratch in my lifetime):

- It's actually a good sign that the CPU and heatsink are bonded together. That means they're tight fitting
- Once you separate the CPU and heatsink, alcohol wipes are your best best for cleaning off ALL residue before re-seating the CPU and heatsink
- When reapplying thermal paste, you don't want it covering the CPU like honey. It is ONLY supposed to cover the tiny imperfections on the metal (even though it seems perfectly smooth). Therefore, you want to apply a TINY amount and then use an old credit card to smooth it over the entire surface. You should be able to see any text or markings on the back of the CPU THROUGH the thermal paste. If you can't see any of the metal under the thermal paste, you used WAY too much!
- Bent CPU pins can be fixed fairly easily using a small pair of needle-nosed pliers. I've bent a few pins in my days and you can straighten them out quite well but inserting the pliers vertically and rotating them around the pin then pinching to straighten it out from all angles.
- If you're trying to re-insert the CPU, make sure you open the lever that allows you to re-seat the CPU, otherwise you're trying to jam the CPU into holes that are not aligned (in which case you'll probably bend the pins, see tip above)

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: