Author Topic: Is this too ambitious for my first script?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline 8 BallTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • 8 Ball has no influence.
  • Respect: +13
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Is this too ambitious for my first script?
« on: June 09, 2009, 03:59:24 PM »
Thinking about things I do often, which I'd be better off automating, which of these would be easier to script for a beginner? I've read through various tutorials on SUO, WUO and EUO but I want to get my teeth into something proper now! :)

A) An autokiller/looter using rails to farm gaman horns, run from baddies like ronins and tsuki wolves and recall back to home..

or

B) A suitbuilder for making LRC suits from bags of parts - to try and get as close to 100 LRC as possible rather than just selecting all the high LRC pieces so I end up with 120 LRC or something - I guess I would describe that as 'capping' the maximum possible LRC so I can get the most usable suits out of my parts. Is such a thing possible?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Is this too ambitious for my first script?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 04:30:43 PM »
My guess is the farmer might be a little easier to do.  The suit builder might require a bit more advanced data handling and OCR capability.  It's really up to you.  The best thing I can recommend is to try and start working on the individual projects in chunks.   Sounds kinda obvious, but I notice that many scripters try to hand the whole project at once, but then burn out because taken as a whole, a project can become overwhelming.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline creedgaming

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • creedgaming has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 07:21:16 PM »
Right on :) I do think that would be a great idea for a script

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 08:53:01 AM »
Another thought would be to play with an existing script that does some of what you want to do, and see if you can figure out what modifications you should make. This is what I have been doing to learn.  I have modified maybe a half dozen scripts to do something I wanted done and I am finally about ready to bang out one of my own. I am building it one task at a time, each one in a sub. You are probably more advanced than me as I have virtually no programming experience, but playing with other folks' scripts was a good way for me to learn.  A lot of the time I will pull out a piece of script, paste it into another EUO window, throw a halt at the end and then see what it does as I tinker with it.  The only training I have had was an introduction to BASIC and FORTRAN more than 20 years ago, so I offer any suggestions with the caveat that I lack skills.

So with that caveat, here s how I might approach your project: An example of a script that does a lot of your Gaman farmer is Jebbit's port about leather hunter.  You might consider modifying that script to target new creatures and pick up the resources your are looking for.  I have changed that script to attack different creatures and pick up different resources and it works pretty well.  I would be happy to share those modifications with you if you are interested. It doesn't have an escape feature, -- but there is a relatively complete escape feature in Spewy's Rune Mining that you could incorporate...

I don't actually know what the protocol is for posting modifications to someone else's script.  I put some up for Spewy's Miner, but I am not 100% on what is kosher in that regard. Maybe TM can give us some guidance there?

Regardless, good luck!

-P

This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Tags: