Author Topic: Hi folks, Grandewd's the name...  (Read 4799 times)

Offline GrandewdTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Grandewd has no influence.
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Hi folks, Grandewd's the name...
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:33:29 PM »
That's right, Grandewd... A few years ago, my daughter asked me what I wanted my (at that point unborn, but on the way) grandchild to call me.  Since I hadn't thought about it, I said something like... uh, grandad... ?  Well, if you knew my daughter you'd know that that was WAY too normal, so we set about deciding on something different.  And she came up with Grandewd, since I'm of the age where the "dude" term was coined, back in the 60's... So that's what my grandkids (2 of em now) call me... Kinda catchy, eh?

Anyway... I AM OLD, but - I do love my UO and just can't seem to quit.  Started playing back in '98 while I was working for a company called Micro Center in Cleveland, Ohio.  I was senior tech support for them and one of my friends, the service manager, had been playing UO since it's inception and he was addicted.  Every freekin lunch hour he and the senior technician and I would go across the street to Wendy's and he'd start in on how much fun it was... until finally one day I looked at my friend Dave and said "Ah sh*t, we might as well try it so Jim will shut up". 

Well, that was the spring of '98 and I've been addicted ever since.  Of course back then, things UO were WAY different.  All felucia ruleset, no Trammel, no Doom, no Ish, no Tokono, none of that.  Just us and the pk's that loved to ride up and place a few well-directed arrows and kal vas whatevers on our poor, underarmored selves.  But it was fun, and it still is.

Probably the funniest thing that's happened to me ingame was not long after starting.  We knew that if we were to survive, we needed to be able to withstand the lightning bolts and flamestrikes and get our magic resist up.  To do that, we would walk thru fire fields.  Well, one day - while Jim and Dave were working up their swords skills on each other, I was walkin thru one of the fields and wasn't paying any attention to my health... You know what's next... Greyscale... WTF... Oops... Hell, Dave and Jim and I played together for about 2 more years every night and I don't think a single night went by that one of them didn't cast a fire field and just start crackin-up. (I did get even on many occasions tho... forgetting to heal them from time to time and then fire fielding them and apologizing for getting my icons confused... hehehehe)

Well, that's about 12 years ago now and Jim and Dave have long gone.  Jim to a divorce (probably caused by UO) and Dave off to freekin EQ... But here I am, still lovin UO and all the changes that have taken place.  I will say that, if it weren't for Stratics for information and EasyUO for scripts that I'd have been gone long ago.  It's the community outside UO that keeps many of us going.

And it was in an EasyUO PM that I found this site, and I think I'm glad I did.  I'm NOT a great scripter, but I do try hard and I agree with another member's introduction here that EasyUO isn't what it used to be.  There's still a good following, but not like it used to be. Most of the scripts are old and many of the really good scripters have moved on to other things. But then again, some are coming back and some have come here.

As long as UO is around, I'll probably continue to play to some degree... That is, as long as I can script.  There's no way I'm gonna get carpel tunnel playing UO if they ever manage to stop scripting or seriously crack down on it.  I think that if they did, they'd lose most of their best players and all their accounts... (I have 4 that I've kept alive, good grief, that's a lot of cash)..

Anyway, that's who I am....   Howdy folks :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Hi folks, Grandewd's the name...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:54:36 PM »
Hey, welcome to the site!  Thank you for the great introduction!

Hope you like what you find.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Hoby

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »
Great intro!!  Welcome to the site, be sure to abuse the search button!  Got any questions just ask.
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:51:43 AM »
Nice to have you aboard GDewd.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 04:29:02 AM »
Welcome to SUO! Thanks for the great intro...and rest assured, your NOT the oldest here!
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 04:45:04 AM »
Welcome to the site.. killer intro.

Offline SunTigress

• TopTwo's Woman
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • SunTigress has no influence.
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »
Thanks for such a nice read!!

Welcome!
If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then give up. There is no use in making a fool of yourself.

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 12:10:35 PM »
Welcome aboard! Don't be shy and post whenever you have something to share!

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 08:21:53 PM »
EQ is the devil!

Well thats what I thought when I played it.  :D

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 09:25:55 PM »
Hey, welcome to the site!  Thank you for the great introduction!

Hope you like what you find.

Thx, Trail... I'm sure I will !
 ;)

Post Merge: March 10, 2010, 01:32:14 AM
Wow, now I AM impressed ! 

Havin' 8 members acknowledge an intro isn't the norm on most forums (and I've been on LOTS of forums over the years, and BBS's before that).

So thx to you all for makin' me feel welcome and takin the time to say so...

Post Merge: March 09, 2010, 11:33:19 PM
Welcome to SUO! Thanks for the great intro...and rest assured, your NOT the oldest here!

Txh Toptwo.... And how do you know I'm NOT the oldest?
 ;)

Post Merge: March 09, 2010, 09:34:38 PM
Welcome aboard! Don't be shy and post whenever you have something to share!

Thx onlyindreams....  Love the sig....  ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:34:38 PM by Grandewd »

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 04:03:28 AM »
Well, I will be 53 this year...can you top that?
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 04:06:03 AM »
Wow, now I AM impressed ! 

Havin' 8 members acknowledge an intro isn't the norm on most forums (and I've been on LOTS of forums over the years, and BBS's before that).

So thx to you all for makin' me feel welcome and takin the time to say so...

Post Merge: March 09, 2010, 11:33:19 PM

Txh Toptwo.... And how do you know I'm NOT the oldest?
 ;)

Its an age off... a battle of the ages ... !!!??

What only 8 intro posts a bit of a poor showing then ha...  Welcome to the boards GD
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 06:49:36 AM »
Wow!

What a wonderful story and a great read.  welcome to the site!
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »
Wow!

What a wonderful story and a great read.  welcome to the site!
Thx Coragin...

Tags: