Author Topic: Copyright Discussion  (Read 7719 times)

Offline SunTigress

• TopTwo's Woman
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • SunTigress has no influence.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright Discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 05:45:46 AM »
I agree, proving it is nearly impossible. However, it is still illegal
If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then give up. There is no use in making a fool of yourself.

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 11:35:28 AM »
well interestingly it might even be legal (not giving legal advive just suppising) for example a picture can be copywrited and a picture of that picture would have a totally different copywrite because it then becomes a new object. this is why you see certain videos that are on youtube are actually videotaping a tv. The main reason that it wasn't that big a stink back in the tape days was because of generational degredation (every succesive generation sucked worse). However nowdays with digital, ie. exact copies (not really because of digital quantization of an anolog source, but i digress) it became a source of worry to the bean counters. sorry rambling
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline SunTigress

• TopTwo's Woman
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »
yes, but the videos of videos are still the original work, which was not paid for

that's like videotaping in the movie theater. it's still pirated, because you didn't pay the original maker/artist/whatever for the copy
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:44:18 AM by SunTigress »
If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then give up. There is no use in making a fool of yourself.

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 11:46:55 AM »
once again NOT LEGAL ADVICE

technically a video of a video is legal

where they get them is it is illegal to bring a camera into the theatre to produce the video

and distribution for profit is still illegal
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline SunTigress

• TopTwo's Woman
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »
copying a whole movie/video is not ok

distribution for non-profit is not ok, hence Napster

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 12:09:01 PM »
actually you are entitled to make copies of movies

off of tv for example (long setteled law from vhs days)

you are also allowed to make backup copies of your stuff

the illegalities lie in the distribution

Offline SunTigress

• TopTwo's Woman
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »
Thanks ok. I disagree. I believe you can make a copy for yourself, but whatever

back to the original question,

a friend copying your copy for himself is not ok, because you are distributing it. is that easily proved, nope.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:39:33 PM by SunTigress »

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 08:41:14 AM »
Thanks ok. I disagree. I believe you can make a copy for yourself, but whatever

back to the original question,

a friend copying your copy for himself is not ok, because you are distributing it. is that easily proved, nope.

Disagree..

you say you are distributing  .. the the question stated "if i play on my machine and a friend copy on thier own machine" im not distributing im playing.. i maybe be facilitating distribution or i maybe just be listening to music.. but im defaintely not distributing.  IT will also be a junk copy and thus is a mute point.

aditional side note
 Now if i use a tape to tape machine and make a copy of my copy and hand my friend the tape i may be ditributing but its not for profit or on a large scale, its a "mix tape"... a common society accepted practice.  The cost of my pirated copy is already covered in the fee i paid when i purchased my blank tapes... and thus may be considered unethitical by some but is not illeagle.  Now the artist may never see a penny of the fee i paid on my blank media in which case he needs to address the recording industry for not ditributing him/her a share.

The whole problem comes when you talk about didgital copies veses physical copies.  If i make a mix collection of digital media ..and pass to my friends .. not only will they be perfect copies, I will not have paid a blank media fee and i can also do it extremelt easily and thus will transfer a much larger quantity of music than i ever would have via physical meida .. where each and every recording took alot of time.

The solution is simple and widley known... people only pirate things when the price does not refect the percieved value.  People would willing pay $2 a month for an all you can eat music subscription.  The recording industry knows this but thats a vast reduction in profits .. so they will fight to milk the fat cow as long as they can.  And at the end of the day that is all this is about.  The right to charge extreme prices and to create a shortage where non should exist.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:51:56 AM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 10:04:27 AM »
America has gone crazy with copyright laws. Some torrent sites do not allow Americans to visit. About a year ago I received a letter from my ISP in the mail. It was a warning to stop illegal downloading, or they would terminate my account.

On the flip side, downloading (whether legal or illegal) has gotten so bad that 3 music stores shut down where I live. If you needed a physical copy of an unedited cd you would have to drive 1 hour to get it, or order it online.

Now...back to my ipod :D

Tags: