Author Topic: Who would take #2, or #1 in this video  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Krusty The KlownTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Krusty The Klown has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Who would take #2, or #1 in this video
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »

Offline Scotch_Tape

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Scotch_Tape has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Who would take #2, or #1 in this video
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »
Although #1 is really cool I think #2 would have been more to experience.  Really cool either way, I'd take either.

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »
#9 would be intense. Would have to have an insane amount of trust in someone.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »
OK,

First off, the kid jumping from one building to the next to land on a small amount of padding was just friggin insane. That one had very little room for error. Same with the guy who jumped with no parachute and no shirt.

I still think the #1 jump definitely deserves to be there. First off, 15 minutes of freefall is an ETERNITY. Secondly, what happened if he floated too far and got stuck in space? that'd be absurd!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:08:41 AM »
OK,

First off, the kid jumping from one building to the next to land on a small amount of padding was just friggin insane. That one had very little room for error. Same with the guy who jumped with no parachute and no shirt.

I still think the #1 jump definitely deserves to be there. First off, 15 minutes of freefall is an ETERNITY. Secondly, what happened if he floated too far and got stuck in space? that'd be absurd!

Hmm...if memory serves "space" doesn't actually start until about 62 miles up, since he was only 102,800 feet up...(19.46 miles) I think he had a LONG way to go before he would have been stuck in space  ;)

Also...I did some quick calculations in my head which then made me do some surfing...since he was only 19.46 miles up, and he fell at a terminal velocity of 614 mph..there was NO WAY that jump could last 15 minutes...after doing some looking around online I found that the jump, in fact, only lasted 4minutes 36 seconds (FREEFALL)...he opened his chute at 18,000 feet (since we are dealing with OLD, BIG, round chutes at the time the actual fall under canopy could have taken a long time...but the actual freefall was less then 5 minutes.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:13:56 AM by Toptwo »
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Krusty The KlownTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Krusty The Klown has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:06:26 AM »
Still I think regardless of the specifics that's one hell of a ride!!!!!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 03:54:24 PM »
Thanks for the info, TT!! I was thinking of the part where he said at the beginning of the freefall, there was no rustling of his flight suit due to the lack of atmosphere. Not to mention, that high up, it would take a bit of time to even realize that you're "falling" .

If I'm not mistaken, our current definition of "space" is different from what it was back then. Not sure about this, just what I remember hearing. Now I think it's officially like 70+.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: