Samsung a737
0 (0%)
Sony Ericsson W350
0 (0%)
Sony Ericsson W580i
0 (0%)
Other, add comment.
2 (100%)
I don't know, don't care, or don't have an opinion.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Upgrade Cell Phone Choices  (Read 3358 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Upgrade Cell Phone Choices
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:52:01 AM »
I can upgrade my phone. I have an OLD RAZR that has a completely dead battery. If it's not on a charger, I can get about 20 seconds of a call in before the battery dies.

The price of a new battery just isn't worth it. I can get one of those phones above for free... so why get a new battery when I can have a new phone?

I have ATT service. The only real requirement I have is a camera in the phone, and easy connection to PC.

If you have any experience with these phones, or companies, please post it up. I'll be doing this either this week or next. Upgrade will be via internet because it's completely free, as opposed to in-store where you pay for waiting in line.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade Cell Phone Choices
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:28:55 AM »
I bought my last Motorola Razr battery for $3.95 plus 2 for shipping just about two months ago (three weeks before I upgraded to the Moto W755 which I do really like BTW). For what it's worth and for example - http://www.amazon.com/BR50-Motorola-Li-Ion-Battery-Black/dp/B000EGH00I/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1231183254&sr=8-1

I never buy anything in the actual ATT/Verizon/Singular/Whatever store, they bend you over and insert hot pokey things. I don't like that.

The most important criteria I had when upgrading my phone was that it must sport the exact same mini-USB connector as the Razr so that all of my chargers and USB cables would continue to be valuable, not sure if any of the phones you mention use the same mini-USB interface or not but that would be a consideration. I also wanted my wife and I to have the same phone so that we would no longer need different batteries and equipment; the W755 not only met the mini-USB criteria but it also came in two different colors, one for me and one for my wife (same color = constantly grabbing the wrong damn phone). Also, it looks and feels a lot like my old Razr VC3 which is the only phone I've liked since my Startac of yester-year!

Not sure if the W755 is an option with ATT but it definitely gets my vote so far.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:13:57 AM »
I went with the 580i. Backordered.

Ordered my wife a 350 today.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »
Unfortunately I don't know much about the Sony phones other that they are Sony.  I try to steer clear of their laptops, but people seem to get jazzed over their phones.  *shrugs*.  I've always been more of a Blackberry person.  Currently I have a sexy new HTC Touch Pro.  But it's uber expensive and is windows mobile which most people can't stomach.  I got it so I could retire my windows ce pda and have it all rolled into my phone @640x480.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:39:03 AM »
Got the wifes W350a last night. Man it's a slick phone.

More like a walkman with a camera-phone attached.

Cheap azz ATT didn't include headphones, or a mem card. I couldn't even check out the FM radio.

I'll do more research on unbranding (don't need to unlock as I'm ATT already), so I can get rid of some of the menu stuff, and delete most of the files on it.

Once unbranded I can use FM without phones and clean out the phone. Supposed to be a better audio driver and a much better camera driver available. I didn't see a video on this, but I know it's capable.

First impressions are pretty good. It's a chick phone for sure. Slim, thin, we got white. Front flip down has walkman controls on it and there's a LOCK slider (tiny) on the top so the front keys won't play in your pocket.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:56:47 AM »
Does Sony force you into using their own proprietary memory card, or do they let you us a Micro-SD?
Come play RIFT with me!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »
Micro-SD.

The software is pretty impressive, won't allow the "extra" access on the phone but even allows you to connect your PC to the Internet through your phone if you have that capability.

I'm still waiting on my 580i, backordered. Checked it out on HowardForums and found out it's a pretty kick-azz phone. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait.

BTW, none of my phones have text, email, internet, etc... capabilities. I really don't have a need for it. Make calls, take pics, play music. Alarm clock, calculator, other features are just bonus. I'm not paying extra for stuff I don't need. If I want a ring tone I rip it using Audicity on my PC, then load it to the phone via USB cable.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »
Still waiting for my phone. Black with orange trim.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:50:02 AM by Cerveza »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »
Micro-SD.

Well it's about time that Sony decided to use industry standard technology.  Sheesh.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: