Author Topic: Home Wireless System  (Read 3122 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Home Wireless System
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
The UVerse wireless modem we have in our house gives lousy, inconsistent coverage for pretty much any device outside of the room its in. I want to come up with a comprehensive solution for wireless in our home. Can people give me their thoughts on the best way to do this?

Thanks!

-P
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Home Wireless System
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
My Rokus connected to my media center do a pretty good job distributing all my DVD and internet streaming.  Still don't have a great media program though.  Plex is OK, but doesn't handle my format very well.  One day I need to convert everything to .mkv format....
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:08:00 AM »
So TM, are you plugging your incoming signal into your electrical socket system and then rebroadcasting?
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Canuker

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Canuker has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:41:35 AM »
So TM, are you plugging your incoming signal into your electrical socket system and then rebroadcasting?

Wait, what?  Can you expand on this please?
Nope!  I'm doing what all the real PvPers do:  Scripting everything except the running away part!  I'm real good at that already...

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:51:40 AM »

A little of both.  For places that I don't get good wireless reception, I use these powerline network interfaces LINKY.  However, the Rokus also have built-in wireless that's capable of streaming HD quality video.  Overall, using these powerline adapters, I'm able to stream stuff to my PS3, 360, Rokus and HEPC from my main media server and NAS.  It all works pretty well, and feels more unified now that I've got XBMC working well on my HEPC.  I'm still struggling a bit with the RPi though.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 06:06:20 AM »
Yea I'm using the Netgear equivalent (XET1001 85Mbps) of those powerline adapters to connect my RPi to the router. Since we're moving to a brand new home in Feb/Mar that is not wired for ethernet sadley, I'd thinking of investing in the ZyXEL ones (since I'm super happy with their NAS) and that way I can wire everything in the home easily! As for wireless, get a good Netgear Wireless N router (they're all pretty good really) and that's the best you can do right now for wireless. It's been awhile since I've look at the UVerse stuff, but is it possible to use it with an "external" router (meaning you hook the UVerse into a normal router to spread the signal instead of letting the UVerse do it itself)? If so, definitely go that route!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Canuker

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Canuker has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 07:54:21 AM »
Sorry for mudding up this thread with newb questions but can/could I use this to effectivly add or avoid having to use my home wifi to stream to areas where the reception is poor?

IE I have a wireless comp in the upstairs living room which I stream netflix to but it's laggy at times, could I use that to plug my router into and increase the flow to that room? I just plug in the ethernet cables in and it goes? 

Such newb stuff I'm sure but I'd love to hear more from you guys with the knowhow.
Nope!  I'm doing what all the real PvPers do:  Scripting everything except the running away part!  I'm real good at that already...

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 08:14:07 AM »
I could have sworn I posted in this thread already but i guess i didnt...

I have simular problems.. Mainly becuase my house has so many reinforced solid concrete walls... wifi fails all over... as does every cell network i've tried.

For Me the powerline adapters also failed, but the majority of my house wiring is 70+ years old and I have 3 ciricut breaker boxes so its not really suprising.  But my mum has great success using them.

So my solution has been a mix of running some nice lenghty Cat5 cables to certain spots where i want best performance (ie HTPC) and using 3 Netgear N300 routers to transmit wifi and communicate with each other over wifi to provide full house and yard coverage.   (It took a bit of playing around but anglering just right I managed to get all 3 routers talking over wifi and avioding solid concrete)

One of these days I'll look into a cell signal booster ..

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: