Author Topic: Where should I start?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Where should I start?
« on: October 23, 2012, 07:20:32 AM »
I am not a programmer, but I have been working in the software development space for the last year.  I am interested in devoting some of my "free reading" time to developing my technical skills. I took classes in Basic, Fortran and Pascal 20 years ago, but that is the extent of my formal training. I think I would like to start learning about the coding languages we are using for the project I am working on and wonder if anyone can recommend some reading. 

My guess is that I can handle either 50,000 foot overview/theory material or manual type material if its not so dry as to be unreadable. The areas I want to learn about include:

Java script
Jnode
JQuery
SQL
Server structure/architecture
Cloud architecture
Drupal

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Where should I start?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 07:23:29 AM »
Where are you wanting to direct your mental fire hose after your absorption?  Might drive the intellectual spongification....
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »
My motivation is to develop the tools to understand the advantages and limitations of different tools and be able to think about potential breakdown points, bottle-necks, and incremental costs associated with our software products. 
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

-Mario Andretti

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 12:40:23 PM »
My motivation is to develop the tools to understand the advantages and limitations of different tools and be able to think about potential breakdown points, bottle-necks, and incremental costs associated with our software products. 

Just my 2 cents but the majority of the afore mentioned thoughts tend to lean towards hardware instead of software related IMHO. Might want to pick up a few digital engineerig books :)

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »
Our solution is SaS, web based with companion mobile application. Its all cloud server based on the functional side. I guess your point is well taken from an internet traffic perspective. I could devote some effort into understanding the nuts and bolts of that...

-Mario Andretti

Tags: