Author Topic: Buying a new computer (maybe)  (Read 6084 times)

Offline NObamaTopic starter

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Buying a new computer (maybe)
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:22:28 AM »
So, Michael Dell stole my shares from me as he bought his company back to rescue it.  I'm tempted to use the (meager) payout to finance a new system, as my laptop is circa 2007 and having more & more problems.

I'm thinking of buying a desktop, to get more bang for buck.  I'm long past the days when i had time to build these things myself.  I'm looking for something about $700-900 that will primarily rip DVD/Blu/music, play UO, and maybe a few new games.  I'd like something robust enough to have a lot of storage and that can VMware to multi-account!

Thoughts?  I'm looking for recommended system specs *and* vendors.

Thanks!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Buying a new computer (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 08:14:54 AM »
I've been fully satisfied with my AMD FX-8350 8-core cpu.  I got most everything on Amazon.   Certainly no better bang for your buck.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 11:04:09 PM »
Oh man, the last time I pre-fabed a computer was my Apple IIgs.

Nope, yet another Frankenstein rig.

4.5ghz oc fx-8350
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA motherboard
32gb ddr3 1866mhz
Nvidia gtx670 video
256gb sst boot
2tb storage (1+1tb 2 drives raid1)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »
Why build a computer around needing to multibox UO clients when you can just use Stealth to handle that? I was running/scripting 20 trial accounts clientless and using less resources than UOCartographer or my main UO client which I was pvping on at the time.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 05:16:24 AM »
Why build a computer around needing to multibox UO clients when you can just use Stealth to handle that? I was running/scripting 20 trial accounts clientless and using less resources than UOCartographer or my main UO client which I was pvping on at the time.

Not really building a computer around that.  My current rig is six years old.  I was just listing the things I plan to do with the computer, so folks know what to recommend.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 05:17:33 AM »
Oh man, the last time I pre-fabed a computer was my Apple IIgs.

Nope, yet another Frankenstein rig.

4.5ghz oc fx-8350
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA motherboard
32gb ddr3 1866mhz
Nvidia gtx670 video
256gb sst boot
2tb storage (1+1tb 2 drives raid1)

How much did the whole thing run you, and do you want to build me one?  =P

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 05:33:49 AM »
This is what i picked up back at the beginning of 2013 .. and its working very nicely for me.. A much needed massive power boost over my prior 2007/8 rig.   I added a 4 screen graphics card I picked up from amazon. A new power supply and slapped the whole thing in my existing case with a 3tb drive.  Total outlay approx $600.  No complaints at all.

AMD FD6100WMGUSBX FX-6100 Processor - Six Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 6MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail
MPN:  FD6100WMGUSBX
 $105.99 $105.99

1 B450-8800 Biostar AMD 970 Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970, DDR3 2000 MHz (OC), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0 (TA970)
MPN:  TA970-R
 $65.99 $65.99

1 C13-4112 Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R 16GB Memory Module Kit - 1600 MHz, DDR3, 2 x 8GB, 240 Pin, DIMM, 1.5V, CL10, Red
MPN:  CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R
 $109.99 $109.99

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »
I bought one of these models this summer and it has done me well. The only learning curve was involved in learning Windows 8. Might want to give it a look NB.

CyberPowerPC
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 03:56:13 PM by Masscre »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »
How much did the whole thing run you, and do you want to build me one?  =P

I'll have to go through the invoices since I pieced it together over a few weeks.  It wasn't cheap all totalled, but would certainly be much cheaper than trying to find something that unique already built.

And no, embrace the fun that is building your desktop.

Honestly, I love building new computers though.  Just mine, mind.

Right now, I'm in too much pain....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:28:09 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultimafreak77

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Ultimafreak77 has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 03:24:54 AM »
I prefer to build my own computers, the last few have come from Newegg. I have always had good luck buying the parts and putting them together. The last one I built was about $850.
The few. The proud. The AFK.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
This is what i picked up back at the beginning of 2013 .. and its working very nicely for me.. A much needed massive power boost over my prior 2007/8 rig.   I added a 4 screen graphics card I picked up from amazon. A new power supply and slapped the whole thing in my existing case with a 3tb drive.  Total outlay approx $600.  No complaints at all.

AMD FD6100WMGUSBX FX-6100 Processor - Six Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 6MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail
 $105.99 $105.99

1 B450-8800 Biostar AMD 970 Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970, DDR3 2000 MHz (OC), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0 (TA970)
 $65.99 $65.99

1 C13-4112 Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R 16GB Memory Module Kit - 1600 MHz, DDR3, 2 x 8GB, 240 Pin, DIMM, 1.5V, CL10, Red
 $109.99 $109.99

Looks like a good Build. Except the Ram seems a bit to slow, if your motherboard supports 2000mhz.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 05:24:49 AM »

$105.99 $105.99

$65.99 $65.99

$109.99 $109.99

Looks like a good Build. Except the Ram seems a bit to slow, if your motherboard supports 2000mhz.

You noticed,  well that was a pricing decision .. the faster ram was a very high premium 16gb costing approx 3x the price of slightly slower ram at that time.  Unless I'm looking for bleeding edge I generally get one step back and get a machine at a 1/2-1/3 of the price and only be slightly behind the latest and greatest.   I can always upgrade the ram when the price becomes more reasonable, but I'm more likely to just buy another discounted machine in a few years and have 3000mhz ram lol
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 11:41:16 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220506

This is what I just got for my Brother In law who was wanting something Cheap that could play most of the modern Games. For 700$ its about as good as you can get. Easily upgrade the Powersupply, Graphics card, and the Ram at a later time, but all in all its a decent setup.

I can run an 8 Man army on one of those at only 40% Cpu. It will also play battlefield 4, Final Fantasy online, and most modern games at normal Specs+
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 11:42:41 PM »
These guys gave it a 4/5 and discuss some of the Upgrade Options for the PC. It also shows it on amazon for 1,000$
I'd highly recommend it provided you don't have a problem with refurbished :)
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Tags: