Author Topic: Registry Fix  (Read 11173 times)

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Registry Fix
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 07:41:12 PM »
Where is my TI994A manual?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »
The first computer board I designed was based on a 6502 with only 1K or RAM.

Actually the first I designed was a home made CPU with a custom microcode instruction set.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:42:50 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 08:06:03 AM »
lol    I started out  writing code for an 8k machine what bliss when i got upgraded to 16k.

Wow, was that an Apple II or something more esoteric?  I'm pretty sure even the Commodore PET and TRS-80 both had at least 32k.  My mother was cleaning out the attic over xmas, sent me home with a couple old books:

Dude, we're officially old!

Pre Apple II, pre commodore, pre  ZX Spectrum (UK only ??) ... in fact the first model i used might have been only 4k..  memory fades on details, based on z80 processor.   I do remember writing page swapping code to load more code from disk ....   It was a machine probably only available in the UK, mainly in schools.   From a company called Research Machines...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2013/11/13/archaeologic_the_research_machines_380z_story/

Now to go way off topic....

Something I just discovered and am still in shock over is I started using the above machines back in the 80s and i did computer science in high school at the USA equivalent of AP+/first year college course (UK o-level then A-level).  I just found out and was majorly shocked that here in south Florida that computer science even tho "its on the books" as a high school course, it is in fact not available in any high school in the whole of south Florida besides one private school. And last years enrollment was 9 kids and this is not an AP class but a beginner class, theirs no AP computer science classes at all.   This is  approximately the 7th largest school district in the USA and their is only 9 kids studying computer science at the most basic level WTF !!!!

I mean i knew the USA was behind in many areas of education. Generally USA students being approx 1-1.5years behind uk students at the end of high school.   But this is ridiculous,  a course i did approx 30 years ago is still not available !!!  Is this just a South Florida thing or is this all over the USA.

To try and counter this my kids are now participating in a local http://coderdojo.com/  but really that's not good enough but at least is something.  Not really sure what else to do at the present time open to suggestions...

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ximan has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »
Where is my TI994A manual?

Did you have the expansion bay or speech module?  Met a guy who had the works, first case of computer envy!

The first computer board I designed was based on a 6502 with only 1K or RAM.

All hail Bill Mensch, lord of the embedded 6502, and designer of cpu's I actually understood.  Learned some assembly on the 6502 but didn't create any hardware with it (though did dream alot about expanding the C64).  Later, did use the somewhat related 68HC11 for digital design projects in college and afterwards.

Actually the first I designed was a home made CPU with a custom microcode instruction set.

Brainiac!!!

lol    I started out  writing code for an 8k machine what bliss when i got upgraded to 16k.

Wow, was that an Apple II or something more esoteric?  I'm pretty sure even the Commodore PET and TRS-80 both had at least 32k.  My mother was cleaning out the attic over xmas, sent me home with a couple old books:

Dude, we're officially old!

Pre Apple II, pre commodore, pre  ZX Spectrum (UK only ??) ... in fact the first model i used might have been only 4k..  memory fades on details, based on z80 processor.   I do remember writing page swapping code to load more code from disk ....   It was a machine probably only available in the UK, mainly in schools.   From a company called Research Machines...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2013/11/13/archaeologic_the_research_machines_380z_story/

Had to put together an ancient history timeline, though order of introduction may have been different in UK, don't think the 380Z was offered here.

1977 Apple II, TRS-80, Commodore PET 2001
1978 Commodore CBM 3000 series (Europe), Research Machines 380Z
1979 Apple II Plus, TI-99/4, TRS-80 II
1980 Commodore PET 4000 series, Commodore VIC-20, TRS-80 III, TRS-80 Color 1
1981 IBM PC, TI-99/4A
1982 ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Link 480Z
1983 Apple IIe, IBM PC XT, TRS-80 Model 4, TRS-80 Color 2
1984 Apple Mac, Apple Mac 512k, IBM PC AT
1985 Amiga 1000, Commodore 128
1986 Apple Mac Plus, IBM PC XT 286, TRS-80 Color 3

Now to go way off topic....

Something I just discovered and am still in shock over is I started using the above machines back in the 80s and i did computer science in high school at the USA equivalent of AP+/first year college course (UK o-level then A-level).  I just found out and was majorly shocked that here in south Florida that computer science even tho "its on the books" as a high school course, it is in fact not available in any high school in the whole of south Florida besides one private school. And last years enrollment was 9 kids and this is not an AP class but a beginner class, theirs no AP computer science classes at all.   This is  approximately the 7th largest school district in the USA and their is only 9 kids studying computer science at the most basic level WTF !!!!

I mean i knew the USA was behind in many areas of education. Generally USA students being approx 1-1.5years behind uk students at the end of high school.   But this is ridiculous,  a course i did approx 30 years ago is still not available !!!  Is this just a South Florida thing or is this all over the USA.

My first programming was in '81 doing basic on TRS-80 II (local college summer camp course) and PET 4032 hardware (jr high).  Our high school which did have AP calculus and physics, didn't have any computer classes whatsoever, took typing to burn up electives (and my WPM has never improved since, lol).  Pretty sure they didn't have computer or typing courses when my siblings went through either; they'd been replaced with 'keyboarding' wtf!  These days it really depends upon school district whether they have computer classes and if so, if they are required courses or electives.  Plano, TX high school has AP CS courses, but that may be the due to local influence of Texas Instruments.  Will ask my bro-in-law what the high school he teaches at offers.

To try and counter this my kids are now participating in a local http://coderdojo.com/  but really that's not good enough but at least is something.  Not really sure what else to do at the present time open to suggestions...

Well, you've figured out that our public schools are merely a warehousing system for the children of working adults.  Beyond basic reading, writing, and arithmetic, they've never really incorporated even the most ubiquitous of technologies into the core curriculum.  Yes, think of the children: the less they truly understand, the easier they are to manipulate and propagandize later in life.  If that sounds cynical, then you may not believe that I've seen positions advertised by microelectronics manufacturers that specifically disallow candidates with more than a high school education.  I've watched whole IT departments be outsourced to Asia, trained by remaining skeleton staff before they too are laid off or replaced by more expensive H1B labor.  Read the outdated NSF Engineering Workforce report; even in '99 (peak of computer and IT-related employment) nearly 40% of electrical and computer engineering degree holders didn't even work in an engineering occupation at all.

While I understand that programming is a specialty, I can't think of a single field where basic background in measurement, computation and automation methods wouldn't be worthwhile.  That said, it stands to reason that those interested will seek out information, and if there is one field with a plethora of information available online, it is computer science.  Hardest part is narrowing down the volume of material to get a good overview of the basics, without getting caught up specific tech like ordering a raspberry pi and downloading a 760 page ARM cpu manual...

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 07:12:41 AM »
To continue the off topic...  Computer science and education suddenly became important for me as my daughter is heading to high school next year.  Looking at all her options .. not a single school offers any real technology courses of any kind.  Even the best of the best doesn't offer anything.  And the online virtual school that offers 2 Computer science courses are pure fluff... ie how to use word !!

And i agree yes some kids will get involved in computer science out of pure interest.. but more would get involved if they had courses that followed a curriculum of interest.   

Very disappointing and doesn't bode well for the US's future ability to compete. 
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »
In the late 90's about 80% of HS Students coming to my university in Chemical engineering had had a course in computers, excel or programing. Now it is rare (less than 10%)!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »
Yes this is strange. The small school I came from offered 6 different computer classes. Two of these being advanced courses and this was in the late 80's during high school. So this is hard for me to understand that we as a technicalogical giant are digressing !! AHHHHHH !!!

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 11:32:46 AM »
off topic but there are some who make decisions in the education system who are against science, you should see what state of texas is doing, it's a war on science, we are starting to have same thing with our conservative govt here in canada, they've destroyed hundreds of research projects, rewriting our history to focus on wars, and other changes.  knowledge is power, and some are threatened by that.  but look up the stuff on texas and changes in education curriculum, it's like the dark ages almost.  we have some here in canada that believe man and dinosaurs walked the earth together 6,000 years ago, despite the science that proves otherwise.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 06:23:50 AM »
Yes this is strange. The small school I came from offered 6 different computer classes. Two of these being advanced courses and this was in the late 80's during high school. So this is hard for me to understand that we as a technicalogical giant are digressing !! AHHHHHH !!!

I should have started a new thread... lol

It doesn't make any sense does it.   I mean we all know that technology, computing, programming and engineering are going to make the biggest changes in the coming future and thats where the jobs are going to be, so why are these very same courses being dropped to the point of non-existence.

According to what I've recently read/been told the Sweet spot to get involved in programming is 8-9years old. I started much older myself but my 9 year old is picking it up much easier than my teenager that's for sure.

I was discussing this with my brother in the uk and he just made me feel even worse .. he  informed me that starting next year (2014) the UK is making it mandatory that all kids learn computer programming in elementary,middle and high. A quick google and    Children will start learning to write code when they enter school the age of five, and will not stop until at least 16

WOW ow wow..

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ximan has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 09:11:36 AM »
To continue the off topic...  Computer science and education suddenly became important for me as my daughter is heading to high school next year.  Looking at all her options .. not a single school offers any real technology courses of any kind.  Even the best of the best doesn't offer anything. And i agree yes some kids will get involved in computer science out of pure interest.. but more would get involved if they had courses that followed a curriculum of interest.

Maybe look into:

http://www.codecademy.com/

I need to do some research in this dept as well, looking for stuff geared towards 5-10 yr olds.

off topic but there are some who make decisions in the education system who are against science, you should see what state of texas is doing, it's a war on science...

Most of the bad stuff is confined to history and social sciences, it's become a political battleground where the retards on both sides try to propagandize the youth.  Worst part about texas is the graft and expense involved in having unique books made for each freakin' subject specifically for texas schools.  The publishers egg on the holy wars since that means they get to turn over the book inventory faster...

I was discussing this with my brother in the uk and he just made me feel even worse .. he  informed me that starting next year (2014) the UK is making it mandatory that all kids learn computer programming in elementary,middle and high. A quick google and    Children will start learning to write code when they enter school the age of five, and will not stop until at least 16

WOW ow wow..

Here is the state-wide list of core computer classes supposed to be offered across texas.  Looks pretty thorough to me, if not overly specific in some aspects.  Not sure if I agree with order that some stuff is taught, seems a little drawn out.  K thru 12:

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac/chapter126/index.html

edit:  added a response to EN
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:49:09 AM by ximan »

Tags: