Author Topic: Printers  (Read 9770 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Printers
« on: December 26, 2013, 10:33:02 AM »
+1
I'm shopping for a printer right now. I decided that I'd like to get something I can easily scan to PDF with, preferably with a doc feeder, copy, and print in color. Because we don't print a lot every day we tend to dry out inkject cartridges so I'm thinking laser. I'm also a big fan of auto-duplexing, although this can be majorly cost prohibitive!

Anyone running a color laser multi-function with duplexer? I'm thinking about maybe splurging on a HP Color LaserJet Pro 400 M475DW or M475DN All-in-One. It seems that the difference is $50 gives me wireless with the DW. The problem is that a) we're talking $500-$700 for a printer and b) when the time comes to by new cartridges I'm in for another $400! Guess you get what you pay for though...

Anyone have thoughts or advice about printers? About these models in particular? Other models you like better and why?

I'm starting to talk myself out of the laser because of the $$ but, on the other hand, the included toner (or whatever it's called in laser world) will last a very long time in my house the way we use it. I try only to print when I have to so it will mostly be kids printing schoolwork and pley-related stuff.

I'm a paperless records kind of guy so the ability to auto-feed docs into a scanner that will email pdf's (or better yet, automatically put them in Google Docs) is probably more important to me than the printing.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Printers
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »
+1
Though not your specs, but I just replaced my HP laser printer with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QM8J8S/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love the crap out of it.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 10:55:17 AM »
+1
Cool, love the price!! Wish I could meet the needs in that bracket! Although, I'm sure the needs are in that bracket while the wants are in the higher bracket.

I picked up a crappy Lexmark inkject a couple years ago and didn't like it from the moment I started using it. It did turn me on to scanning pdf directly to email or file shares though and now I'm a fan of paperless filing. I pretty much have all of my filing cabinets electronic now but I have to do it all at work lol.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
+1
I'm on my 2nd Lexmark ink printer.  The first one was pretty crappy, but the second one has been OK.  I got tired of my HP inkjet because I spent SOO much money replacing ink and it would dry up constantly.  With the lexmark, the ink is much cheaper, and I can come back to it in 6 months without issues of drying.  The drivers suck, but so did HP.  

The Brother drivers are pretty good.  It even works well with my Android; it comes with an app that prints effortlessly.  The printer is well deserving of the very high stars found on Amazon.com.  The one minus about the Brother printer is the sound level when printing sounds like it's going to start washing for gold in Alaska.  Very noisy.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:11:55 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »
+1
I literally just use a dot matrix printer i've had for like 10 years.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »
+1
LOL wow! Guess I'll stick to asking you for UO advice only hehe ;)

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »
+1

I would say longer. I believe the last dot matrix was made in the mid 90's.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »
+1
On the Brother printer's. I have one in the office and it works awesome for me. Yes like TM said it is somewhat noisy specially when it 1st cranks up to start printing you might think someone just cranked up thier garden tiller LOL. But it's interface is nice and seemless. I print from my laptop, cell phone wirelessly and from memory sticks also seamlessly. The software connects nicely to do pdf scanning to any remote device you wish. But I print daily from it so not sure about the opportunity for the ink to dry up. Mine uses 4 different cartridges so i just change the one that is about to run out and keep on going. The 4 cartridge is nice because you do not have to change all the colors just the one that is low/empty.

Just my 2 cents worth.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:40:04 PM by Masscre »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »
+1
I agree on the 4 cartridge thing.  My old HP had a color and a black cartridge and I was constantly replacing it for running out of a specific color.  So annoying.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »
+1
If i was u  ... I would buy a nice scanner with document feeder.    And then buy a separate color laser printer.    I've always used laser printers and would never waste my time or money on inkjets.

This might be overkill but sure sounds nice...
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-ADS2000-Speed-Document-Scanner/dp/B007TN1J2O/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388114889&sr=1-3&keywords=multi+page+scanner

This is my current printer and refills are around $90, or $30 if you fill yourself. Had it for a few years and no issues.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Color-Laser-Printer-CLP-325W/dp/B004H5YBU4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388115201&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+clp325w

I also have a  old hp  laserjet 4mv  workgroup printer...  a lovely  50,000 pages per $40 cartridge.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 05:02:05 AM »
+1
I should probably consider that idea. I was just trying to save on desk space but there is certainly something to be said about having fewer moving parts per device. Although the total cost ends up being the same either way I look at it. Oh what to do, what to do?

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 06:45:03 AM »
+1
I should probably consider that idea. I was just trying to save on desk space but there is certainly something to be said about having fewer moving parts per device. Although the total cost ends up being the same either way I look at it. Oh what to do, what to do?

I guess it depends on weather you like or need the photocopy functions of an all in one...   Personally my printer is not on my desk.. but i dont actually print that much like you its mainly the kids and homework.  My scanner is on my desk its old and i use it once a year but its still thier on my desk lol
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 07:04:29 AM »
+1
LOL, some things are universal when it comes to parenting :P

I think I'm going to keep moving forward with an all-in-one. My wife likes the ability to photo-copy (and print if she wants), kids want to print, and I need to be able to scan multiple docs directly to email and/or network file shares. Not sure why they still include fax machines lol! Whatever I get will actually be out of site in the basement office so space isn't much of an issue really.

The wife of a friend of mine might be able to get me wholesale princing on some Xerox equipment which I never would have considered otherwise. Gonna see what she comes through with.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 07:19:09 AM »
+1
I bought Mrs Gim an HP Air printer (inkjet) for less than 100 so she could print from her ipad and iphone. Wireless and working great.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 08:57:38 AM »
+1
I bought myself an air guitar and I'm always forgetting were I put it.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: