Author Topic: Burning  (Read 5879 times)

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: Burning
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
As per Paulonius, I will not discuss my 4.25TB of 0's and 1's.

For those of you interested. My best suggestion for backups, storage, etc is FreeNAS running on a beat up old computer (in my case, a Dell Dimension 4300 from yesteryear). FreeNAS is easy to set-up and use, plus it has a built in iTunes server (when on your home network, it will show up in the Shared music section). FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD Unix and is fast and easy! You can use it for file hosting, web site hosting (which is what my personal site is on for those of you that have seen it), FTP, SSH, DynamicDNS, and even a built in BitTorrent client (any torrent file you drop in a specific folder will automatically start downloading). I used to plug my external hard drives directly into my desktop, now I just have them connected to my FreeNAS server and mounted in the file system, that way I can access them from anywhere I am!

Bye bye DVD's!

P.S. The only burning I do is to make DVDs of movies that I have downloaded (which will not be discussed) so that I can play them on a regular DVD player! In this case, I use Ulead DVD MovieFactory, of which I cannot tell you how much it costs because, well, I don't know because I love torrents too much!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 10:58:07 AM »
US Copyright law doesn't currently have an explicit exception for personal use, but the consensus is that you can make copies for your own use. The DMCA implies that personal use is acceptable in that it says ten copies is commercial and illegal, but doesn't expressly address less than ten copies. Canada and Australia have already made personal use copies explicitly legal.  I anticipate US case law supporting that position at some point.  As long as folks are not sharing copyrighted files here without authorization, there is nothing illegal about what people are discussing doing in this thread to this point. 

There is also very likely nothing wrong with discussing where and how you acquire movies, but that is moving toward facilitating potentially illegal activity.  If folks want to talk about acquiring copyrighted material in any more detail, that is something that should probably be discussed in a non-public forum.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 11:47:22 AM »
Thier isnt a single non-elite poster in this thread perhaps the whole thing can be moved to elite.

I doubt the us will ever modify the law to specifically allow you to make personal use copies but it is common law that you can (although im not sure how much weight common law has in the UsA).

Personally i think the whole copyright system needs a good shake up and vastly shorted... its meant to be an invention encourager but its turned into a stifflying system.  Max time of copyright should be the life of the inventor/creator or if a corporation I would say HALF the average lifespan on a person ie 35years. (if they carnt make something new in that time then they shouldnt be in bizness anyway)

Thats one thing i like about google books the ability to search on pre-copyright material.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 12:09:04 PM »
I am also a firm believer that the copyright system is in need of a major overhaul which we will almost definitely see in the next 10 years simply due to the digital era. Right now it is just patched together to make it work with digital media.

Intellectual Copyrights (Music, books, art, etc):

I believe intellectual copyright should end no more than 10 (preferably 5) years after an artists death (that is sufficient time for the family of the artist to find an alternative income) instead of the current 70 years (if I remember correctly).

Copyrights should not be allowed to be "sold" or traded, meaning the artist retains the copyright, it should never be the property of a publisher or recording studio or anything like that.

The only way to get rid of a copyright (other than death) would be for the artist to give up their copyright and release it to the public domain.

Physical Copyrights (patents, drug formulas, etc):

Patents should be exclusive for 1 year. It cannot be shared with anyone else for this year. ONLY the creator can profit from it. UNLESS they release it for public use (i.e. give up the copyright)

Then, for the next 3-5 years(not sure how long I feel would be comfortable), fees could be paid to use it.

After 5 years, general public use with no compensation necessary.

That's just my brainstorming. The digital arena is a totally different ballgame. I don't have time right now to list all my thoughts on it!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 12:31:09 PM »
If I remember correctly, downloading torrents is legal. It's uploading that is illegal. I don't remember where exactly I found that at but I did research it a couple years ago.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »
If I remember correctly, downloading torrents is legal. It's uploading that is illegal. I don't remember where exactly I found that at but I did research it a couple years ago.

torrents upload and download at same time.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline SuperslayerTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Superslayer barely matters.Superslayer barely matters.
  • Well what do you drink? Not tea.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 01:06:47 PM »
I will elaborate a bit and say that the movies I'm copying are family home movies.  The DL discussion is purely talk and my lack of knowledge.

I do agree with most here about the silliness of some of the current laws, and they do need some industry standard.  As said, it's not going to happen too soon, but it is needed to protect other peoples property.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 01:22:51 PM »
I'd like to start a new thread in Off Topic just to discuss Copyright. That way I can stop hijacking this thread!

Look for it in Off Topic

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »

torrents upload and download at same time.

You are correct. However it's only the uploading part that is illegal (as of when I checked couple years ago).... When I was using bitcommet (I think) you could set it to not upload anything. I believe utorrent makes you do atleast 1kb/s.

Tags: