Author Topic: Quotes from My calculus Teacher.  (Read 3067 times)

Offline manwincTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Quotes from My calculus Teacher.
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »
So, My 70++ Year old calculus teacher often says things in class that I find fairly Humorous. So I've decided I will begin Sharing them with you guys!!!

"We like to call this a "Zero Vector" Thats what everyone calls it...... Even The Russians "

" When you separate the men from the boys, you often find the men are actually women "

"An Education is the only thing we pay for that we hope we never get (Referring to everyone hoping class got out early) "

" The Law of Cosines is Still in Effect "
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline SunTigress

• TopTwo's Woman
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • SunTigress has no influence.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes from My calculus Teacher.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
I like this teacher!
If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then give up. There is no use in making a fool of yourself.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    1.4%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »
I Always start my classes off with a Thought For the Day. Here is one of my favorites

"Even a kick in the ass is a step forward!" - Harry S. Truman

Offline FishQueen

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • FishQueen has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:23:07 AM »
I'm taking College Algebra and I could have done without it because there is no way in hell, I'm going to use what they are teaching me! I hate how the colleges can require us to take all these classes yet we will never use them. I'm paying for an education I will never use in hopes that piece of paper I get in the end will be worth something. I've had so much schooling now that I'd be foolish not to hang in there and get my Bachelor's because my Associate's degree is a joke! School reminds me a lot of the fishing quests I've been doing. I've got so many books, lava poles, and traps that eventually I'm going to have to get a 120. Right now, I'd be happy with a 115. Anyway, they eventually run out of *bleep* to through my way I hope. The school can only require so many classes to pass until they have to graduate me. I just wish I was guranteed a 120 at some point on the game.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:54:05 AM »
Sadly everything I've learned in math I've had to apply to other classes, but thhats engineering for you. My techer does trvial pursuit questions at the end of the day to take attendance 140 students.

Trivial pursuit question was what did little bo peep lose? Obviously her sheep, but who can resist the urge to choose e) her virginity
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    1.4%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:11:30 AM »
Now from my point of view as a Chemical Engineering Professor. Kids are hopeless now days in math and i blame calculators. The problem is not math - but poor math teachers.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 08:00:17 AM »
I completely agree, Basic lack of fundamentals in k-12

Addition and Subtraction (Mental)
Multiplication/Division (Mental) Properties
Powers/Routes  Properties
Basic Concepts of Fractions (mulitplication,division,Addition, Subtraction)
Order of Operations

Thats ALL they need to teach you k-6, I will never understand why I had to learn how to do math if we happened to be born with 6 fingers and everything was base 6 instead of base 10..... I mean, I guess it might be important, but not when most kids in the 4th grade can't even tell you what 4 + 7 is without using their toes.

I do a lot of math tutoring for friends and family in my spare time, and its a nightmare trying to do algebra problems when they don't even understand the basic concept of subtracting a negative number, multiplying fractions, Dividing fractions, adding fractions, order of operations......... just a nightmare......
Monkeys and Typewriters!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
I'm taking College Algebra and I could have done without it because there is no way in hell, I'm going to use what they are teaching me! I hate how the colleges can require us to take all these classes yet we will never use them. I'm paying for an education I will never use in hopes that piece of paper I get in the end will be worth something. I've had so much schooling now that I'd be foolish not to hang in there and get my Bachelor's because my Associate's degree is a joke! School reminds me a lot of the fishing quests I've been doing. I've got so many books, lava poles, and traps that eventually I'm going to have to get a 120. Right now, I'd be happy with a 115. Anyway, they eventually run out of *bleep* to through my way I hope. The school can only require so many classes to pass until they have to graduate me. I just wish I was guranteed a 120 at some point on the game.

Sometimes its not what classes you took to get that piece of paper but rather the fact that you are willing and capable to do what it takes to achieve a certain goal. You have the diligence and blabla to jump the hurdles and see something through to the end.    The degree is worth it, that piece of paper will make a huge difference in your financial health for the rest of your life.  Their are definite limits to how far you can get without one in most if not all corporations big and small.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline FishQueen

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • FishQueen has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »
I did fine in school and am doing fine in college but the Math is really irritating. I took Math already my first semester of college. You are required to take Math to get a AA in General Studies. I was fine with that. Now, I'm taking a Bachelor's in General Business and it requires another Math Class. It used to be all your general requirements were covered in your AA but now they've added like 5 classes you have to take in addition to your AA to pursue a Bachelor's Degree in General Business. I'm a bright individual and very capable of passing this Math class. It's just I'm spending a whole semester learning all these concepts and not understanding how I'm ever going to use them. I plan on being a Bookkeeper and while that requires Math skills it's not the kind of stuff I'm learning. I think I should be in more of an accounting/math class. It just frustrates me, I feel like I'm paying for education in the wrong areas. I took Geometry in high school and have used the concepts a ton from it but as for the other stuff it's just kind of lost on me. I can see in engineering where some of these concepts might be used more. I'malready half way through with this semester and I plan on sticking it out until the end. So far, my education seems worthless until I get my Bachelor's. Finishing, this semester will just have me one step closer...

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 11:21:13 AM »
Are writing classes required? <- Enter key twice ->

Now I'm way down here. Paragraphs can be your friend. <- Enter key twice ->

And calculating differences with various percentage growth would surely require some Algebra. I can see skipping the Geometry, but I would think solving (and creating) equations would be necessary for your field.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Tags: