Author Topic: Trouble Shooting Paulonius' PC  (Read 3462 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Trouble Shooting Paulonius' PC
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:41:49 AM »
MB is ASUS P6T

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QtpKQuERkuYw6trc

Graphics Card is GEForce GTS 250

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gts_250_us.html

Case is NZXT Tempest Evo
http://www.nzxt.com/products/tempest_evo/

The case has two sound leads, both are ten minus one pin female.  One is HD. Both fit on the lower left pin set on the MB, but appear to be connected to inputs on the front of the case.  I don't think it has a pc speaker.

When I turn it on, the power comes on and stays on, but I have a black screen, no bios.  Because no speaker no beeps.

The LEDs on the MB for Power Reset are both on. They stay on if the PC is powered off, but still plugged in an switched on in the back.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble Shooting Paulonius' PC
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 10:44:58 AM »
Can you take a photo of your system as you have it hooked up just so i can see it?  digital camera or cell phone?

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:55:39 AM »
Ok, basics... how many sticks of RAM do you have? I'll assume 2, you should have them in slots DIMM A1 and DIMM B1.

You don't have onboard graphics so you need a graphics card installed. On page 2-21 it shows the slots, you need to use a blue slot. Normally it's the one closest to the CPU.

Do you have the CPU fan connected to the right header? If so, does the fan come on when the power is turned on?

You have 2 power connections on the MB, one is the long one that is right of the CPU, the other is that 8 pin one above the CPU, you must have both plugged it.

Looks like system speaker is 4 pins... and it doesn't matter which way as long as they are on the right spot on the MB.

XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 11:10:21 AM »
The lack of video is defanately due to a conflict.  I am thinking also remove the memory (the Simms or Dimms).  The system my not be coming on to the fact of the second power connector.  I did find the two power connectors on the motherboard there are 2. A photo might point me straight to the problem though but we can make this simple also. Get ride of anything not essential to the video.  Could be a system problem if the cooling fan is not connected  or the CPu fan is not connected, but again a photo would help us find this.  I say connect PS, MB, CPU, Fan, Video card and nothing else. Remove those ram chips.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 11:12:09 AM »
I didn't connect the ATX 4/8 pin power to the MB and the book says it won't boot without that. Should I stick in four or eight?
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

-Mario Andretti

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:56:48 PM »
THANK YOU to 12X, Cerveza, Mass, EN, TM MadDog and the rest of you who talked me into and through this.  I won't order a prebuild system again. 

Both pictures are from before I attached the four pin ATX per Cerv's brilliantly intuitive suggestion.

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
IMG_0614.jpg
IMG_0615.jpg

-Mario Andretti

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 03:45:11 PM »
LOL attach the power plug!

And I read this one wrong at first, "Trouble Shooting Paulonius" I was gonna suggest getting a better gun or a scope ;)
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »
So you got it running? What OS did you install? What you think about it?  Have you get a winmark bench on it yet?

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 04:19:43 AM »
I did get it running.  As soon as I plugged in the four pin it fired up and I loaded windows 7.  It's running great and is crazy fast compared to what I have been using.  I did notice though that Windows 7 appears to still have a pretty significant bug: it won't run external USB hard drives.  I have not done a winmark bench yet, but I will run one and post it today.

-Mario Andretti

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »
There is a patch or update for the external usb hard drives, but I do dislike Vista and her cousin 7 alot they suck up resources bad to do the same thing xp could do with a few gig of ram they do with 9 gig AHHHHH.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 11:08:06 AM »
I tried to find a winmark prog to download and test the system, but I can't seem to locate one. My first priority is to get this computer protected.

Anyone know what the recommended formula is for protecting a system?

I have been using ESET on my other computers. Is that enough?

-Mario Andretti

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 01:14:10 PM »
NOD32 from ESET is an awesome antiviral program and requires almost no resources so yes it is damn good.  Been using it since my days of going bareback and it has kept me from all kinds of nasty stuff.

Tags: