Author Topic: LPC for finditem and event property  (Read 6942 times)

Offline lydaanTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • lydaan has no influence.
  • Respect: +6
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
LPC for finditem and event property
« on: December 29, 2015, 07:36:32 PM »
As I've been working on my mule script and specifically the endless tinker sub and the dig routine, I find myself becoming very accustomed with the limitations of finditem and event property... specifically the update lag that exists... ESPECIALLY in #property. I know setting LPC really high will not effect the ability of these 2 to process info, but as cheffe eluded, finditem takes about 18.5 lines of the 20 alotted? i think? just due to the length of time to process and the length (in time) of a cycle. Do you think setting LPC to 1 or 2 would give finditem enough time to fully process before the next few lines were read?

As an example, I think I could eat the time by reducing a wait timer, since EUO does nothing during waits, and gives those cycles to the OS, setting LPC to 1 or 2 seems like a better use of that downtime, especially since it's only 1/20 of a second.

Sample current "code:"
Code: [Select]
sub dig
   repeat   
      finditem shovel
      if no shovel
         make shovel
      dig
      wait 6
      scan journal for stuff
      wait 8
   until forever
return

Now with an lpc adjustment:
sub dig
   repeate   
      lpc 2
      finditem shovel   ;1
      lpc 10?           ;2
      if no shovel
         make shovel
      dig
      wait 6
      scan journal for stuff
      WAIT 7   ;<--------- reduced by 1
   until forever
return

While I think this might help finditem, and would only really be neccesary in extreme cases, I don't think it would help event property/#property as it feels like that update is server response related, and limited to ping.

I'll probably fart around with this on my endless tinker sub, and think of someways to speed test finditem update...

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: LPC for finditem and event property
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:07:40 PM »

I'll probably fart around with this on my endless tinker sub, and think of someways to speed test finditem update...

set %x #systime
finditem blabla
set %y #systime - %x
display  %y time passed
halt
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 08:12:29 PM »

set %x #systime
finditem blabla
set %y #systime - %x
display  %y time passed
halt

AHAHH.... derr... thanks for that, but I was also thinking it might be server dependant?

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 08:16:02 PM »
well the response is server and client dependent.. but that will be different on every machine and connection and the number of items in findable distance when you search ... But you can get an average for youself
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 08:41:57 PM »
Was just going to edit my last post...

here's what I'm experiencing my dig loop has a full wait of 14, or ~700ms, with a finditem and a #findcnt=0 check at the top. Sometimes it loops two full times before #findcnt is updated, probably 60/40 2loops/1loop... roughly an average of 1.1 seconds

About 30% of the time my first scanjournal for "you have worn..." at wait ~6 or ~300ms triggers gosub shovel, and adding a second one @ wait 8 or ~400ms after that, ~700ms total brings the scanjournal success rate to about 90%, resulting in finditem accounting for that last 10% as a failsafe

my brain is jello at this point, after cleaning up my script all day... but I think I'm saying what I mean to...   :-\

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »
Was just going to edit my last post...

here's what I'm experiencing my dig loop has a full wait of 14, or ~700ms, with a finditem and a #findcnt=0 check at the top. Sometimes it loops two full times before #findcnt is updated, probably 60/40 2loops/1loop... roughly an average of 1.1 seconds

About 30% of the time my first scanjournal for "you have worn..." at wait ~6 or ~300ms triggers gosub shovel, and adding a second one @ wait 8 or ~400ms after that, ~700ms total brings the scanjournal success rate to about 90%, resulting in finditem accounting for that last 10% as a failsafe

my brain is jello at this point, after cleaning up my script all day... but I think I'm saying what I mean to...   :-\

Well without seeing your code...kinda hard to know what your talking about...  but sounds like your happy with the results.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »
Alirght... here's my dig loop... as I posted in my Mulchine thread, just trying to make that script, and specifically this sub as fast as possible:

Notes:
wait 14 does not post "you must wait..." for any action on my FS, and atleast appears to dig faster than wait 20 (<14 seems to skip loops every now and then)
%digjournal <6 skips veins... have not *seen* it skip any with wait 6

set %digloopglobalwait 14
set %digjournalwait 6 
set %digloopwait %digloopglobalwait - %digjournalwait

sub dig
   repeat
   {
      if #weight > %carryweight
      {
         gosub travel home
         gosub secops
         gosub travel back
         gosub dig  <---- overweight fail-safe
      }

finditem %digtools * c_ , #backpackid
      set %shovcheck #findcnt
      set #lobjectid #findid
      set #ltargetx %digx
      set #ltargety %digy
      set #ltargetz %digz
      set #ltargetkind %dkind
      set #ltargettile %dtile
      if %shovcheck = 0
         gosub tinkershovel

event sysmessage mining at Book %bookcnt Rune %runecnt Vein %onvein
      finditem %digtools * c_ , #backpackid
      set #lobjectid #findid
      event macro 17 0
      target
      event macro 22 0
      wait %digjournalwait
      scanjournal 1
      if You_have_worn in #journal
         gosub tinker
      if There_is_no in #journal
      {
         if #weight > %nrweight && %onvein = %veincnt && %stripmine = no ;travels to secure THEN NEXT RUNE if on the last vein of the rune and weight is CLOSE to max... EFFICIENCY!!!
         {
            event sysmessage Stripmining? %stripmine
            gosub travel home
            gosub secops
         }
         goto nextrune
      }

{
         gosub travel home
         gosub secops
         gosub travel back
         gosub dig
      }

if That_is_too in #journal || Target_cannot in #journal ;will iterate trhough all veins at a rune, then next rune until...
      {
         event sysmessage Whoops, travel broke... HOLD ON
         gosub travel nextrune %runecnt
         goto nextrune
      }

wait %digloopwait
      scanjournal 1
      if You_have_worn_out in #journal
      {
         event sysmessage journal tool check %shovcheck
         gosub tinkershovel
      }
   }
   until %theendoftime = now
   event sysmessage THE END OF TIME IS NOW!!!
return

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »
ahhh.... nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo   recursion.

Ok you have a number of issues to fix in this code.

(1) Journal   -- Journal scanning can be tricky ... journal messages take time to appear.  Therefor you have to wait for them.  So you need a loop that checks journal for x ms waiting for what you need to see and then moves on. For example of some advanced journal useage see TMs journal subs..  or I have some as well but they are buried in other code without a write up.

(2) Recursions ---  the sub dig calls itself from a number of places... not good .. means over time more and more memory is used .. run it longer enough and it will burn up all available memory.   + its not necessary   ie the if #weight > %carryweight  calls dig but if you just removed the Gosub dig line it would loop back to the beginning of dig anyways !!!   + you have this same code repeated at start of repeat loop and near end.

(3) gotos out of a sub ...    goto nextrune   .. nextrune is not in the sub dig therefor it can never return to this spot and eats memory like (1).

Sorry cannot help myself... nitpicking ..   but do check out tms journal subs will help you.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
ahhh.... nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo   recursion.

Ok you have a number of issues to fix in this code.

HAHAHA  ;)
I know my skills suck  :P  and have much to learn... I can take the criticism, please enlighten me!  Willing and eager to learn!!! Learning on the fly, here... really just started writing script (yes, singular... onlly one semi-legitimate script so far) about a month ago.

(1) Journal   -- Journal scanning can be tricky ... journal messages take time to appear.  Therefor you have to wait for them.  So you need a loop that checks journal for x ms waiting for what you need to see and then moves on. For example of some advanced journal useage see TMs journal subs..  or I have some as well but they are buried in other code without a write up.

Just worked that out to some extent in my travel sub... not perfect, but works for my mule for now, I realize that i really should be using for loops for journal scans, but scanjournal has been causing me to smash my face on my keyboard for about a week, and I'm working up to spending the time and care it really needs...
Here's what I did in my travel sub just now:

recover:
   manarecallwait:
   if #mana < 10
      goto manarecallwait
   spcrwait:
   set %endcrwait #systime
   set %checkcrwait %endcrwait - %startcrwait
   if %checkcrwait < %spcr
      goto spcrwait
   event macro 15 31 ;recall
   target 5s
   event macro 22 0
   set %jupdate #jindex
   set %startcrwait #systime
   set %closerbx #contposx + 250
   set %closerby #contposy + 130
   if #contsize = 452_236
      click %closerbx %closerby r
   jindexupdatewait:
   if #jindex = %jupdate       <----------------------- journal update wait!
   {
      if %xcheck <> #charposx || %ycheck <> #charposy
         return
      goto jindexupdatewait
   }
   scanjournal 1
   if That_location in #journal
         return
   if More_reagents in #journal || You have_not in #journal
      goto recover
return

(2) Recursions ---  the sub dig calls itself from a number of places... not good .. means over time more and more memory is used .. run it longer enough and it will burn up all available memory.   + its not necessary   ie the if #weight > %carryweight  calls dig but if you just removed the Gosub dig line it would loop back to the beginning of dig anyways !!!   + you have this same code repeated at start of repeat loop and near end.

LOL!!!! literally LOL!!!
I did a triple take on that a few times when I was posting it, lmao... I get tired at the end of the night, and I just fix any errors in my scripts with the first thing I think of.
I can tell you why I did that, and it's because of finditem fails AND that's one of the many finditem fails that caused me to start this thread... sometimes when my mule drops ore at secure, finditem just fails and and my for #findindex 1 #findcnt just misses one... I tried  for #findindex 0 #findcnt for a couple hours a couple weeks ago, but finally realized that it didn't really add one, just probably posted an N/A in the background, and like you've pointed out... probably a memory leak.

Again, i find it hilarious you called me on that... as I was posting it, I literally was thinking *I really should make that "finditem ore" loop until finditem updates correctly*  ;)

(3) gotos out of a sub ...    goto nextrune   .. nextrune is not in the sub dig therefor...

OK, so I was a bit miffed  ??? by this at first, but...

AHA!  :o

(so I wrote that like a month ago, and it was literally my first excursion into actual looping script writing  :-\ )

But I think I've got it figured out, so here's THAT PART f what I have, and then the fix:

sub rune
{
   set %runecnt %1
   set %veincnt %2
   set %onvein %3
   set %digx %4
   set %digy %5
   set %digz %6
   set %dkind %7
   set %dtile %8
   if %onvein = 1
   gosub dig
   nextrune:  <------------ the goto's target
   continue
}
return

{
         if #weight > %nrweight && %onvein = %veincnt && %stripmine = no
         {
            gosub travel home
            gosub secops
         }
        goto nextrune      <------------------ the goto in question
      }

and the fix:

sub rune
{
   set %runecnt %1
   set %veincnt %2
   set %onvein %3
   set %digx %4
   set %digy %5
   set %digz %6
   set %dkind %7
   set %dtile %8
   if %onvein = 1
   gosub dig     <------------   sub dig>return goes where I wanted the goto to go, anyway!!!!  :D
   continue
}
return

{
         if #weight > %nrweight && %onvein = %veincnt && %stripmine = no
         {
            gosub travel home
            gosub secops
         }
        return      <-------  sub dig return
      }

I literraly had NO idea how...

sub blahblahblah
return

...worked when I wrote that, and so I used goto... (first few days I just put return because I thought it needed it before realizing that leaving out return is like having an if with only an "{") THANK YOU FOR POINTING THAT OUT!  :D

LMAO!!! I actually find this hilarious...

it can never return to this spot and eats memory like (1).

so, I'm assuming my other 2 weightchecks should ALSO return rather than gosub... which isn't really waht I want it to do... I'll figure that out... again, THANK YOU!

Sorry cannot help myself... nitpicking ..   but do check out tms journal subs will help you.

NOOOOO!!!!! Please do nitpick!!! I've looked over your library as well as TM's, and at somepoint I'll probably go over everyone's... Spent a couple hours earlier looking over 12x's mining script, and reading the forum thread until it was just bug fixes... (that mining script was the only thing I've really been able to understand, so far, as that's the only thing I've really written... still learning... hard to translate, when you don't even understand the language you're reading)

[jk ;sorta]
But seriously...

MEMORY LEAKS???

first off... I'm fairly detatched from this with 16gb of RAM.. I realize that memory leaks are like the plague and NO amount of RAM will ultimately protect from leaks... especially with software like EUO, where enhanced memory detection/correction was doubtfully implememnted...

And SECONDLY... we're talking about a 35/19 year old game... MEMORY LEAKS???  Yes, I remember having 64mb of RAM and an 80gb HDD... but the memory leaks you're talking about would take something like a week for Windows Task Manager to even register...  ---> .01gb!!!!
[/jk]

Seriously, tho... I really do appreciate the time you've given me on this subject... I really am hoping to learn techniques that apply to RL programming, and I'm glad you've pointed out the things you have.  ;D

I was just rereading Cheffe's tut on LPC: http://wiki.easyuo.com/index.php?title=Tutorials:Cheffe1

and he pretty much says what I was thinking about doing... I probably thought of that, because he said it...

-----------------------

Hey EN!

Just wanted to say Thanks again... i just realized what you were saying about waiting for the journal to update... going to work that in the dig sub... that might actually the fix the sub 50ms variance (AND get rid of the finditem that was pissing me off)  I've been wanting to fix!!!!  :o

AND...

wanted to ask about goto's... since I use them a lot... as long as they goto a a blahblah: in the same sub, they're fine? because that would fix the other 2 gosubs in my dig sub...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:55:19 PM by lydaan »

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 06:19:49 PM »
Valid test code  Enters and leaves sub with a goto inside sub.
gosub test                                                  ; execute order  1
; this is the last line executed prior to halt.      ; execute order  9
halt                                                           ; execute order  10

sub test
  loop:                                         ; execute order  2    ; execute order 6
    if %something = N/A               ; execute order 3      ; execute order 7
      {
       set %something YES             ; execute order 4
       goto loop                            ; execute order 5
       }
return                                           ; execute order  8

Invalid code will leak memory how much depends on how bad and how long you run it for.   I used to run scripts for weeks or months at a time.. so smallest leak builds up and ive got 32gb of ram.
gosub test                                                  ; execute order  1  ; execute order  10
; this is the last line executed prior to halt.      ; execute order   NEVER
halt                                                           ; execute order   NEVER

sub test
    if %something = N/A               ; execute order 2      ; execute order 7   ; execute order  11 .....
      {
       set %something YES             ; execute order 3
       goto loop                            ; execute order 4
       }
return                                       ; execute order   8

loop:                                         ; execute order  5
gosub test                                  ; execute order  6
; no halt command script goes to line 1  ; execute order  9
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 06:26:15 PM by Endless Night »

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 07:08:15 PM »
HAHA thanks for putting in my place about mem leaks...

another question on that notion...

my dig sub never returns...

sub dig
   repeat
return

mem leak issue?

i think of it as a folding/joining loop...

script runs into the "main" loop which goes into the digloop, and never leaves... repeating the main loop over and over again inside the dig loop

--------------

wait... the return discussed above will push the cursor out of the loop... nevermind, i think

---------------------------

Alright... had a HAHA moment about my dig sub and that return....

since my dig loop loops indefinitely (well atleast until %theendoftime = now) and only returns after "There_is_no_metal_here_to_mine"... ;D is there even a reason to have that return at the "end" of the sub? (failed journal catch will cause it to hang either way....)

Like this:

sub dig
   repeat
      *dig fool*
         return
; return       <---------------  don't need this :P

-----------------------

WEEEElP.... EN, you were right.... tried to maximize a client window last night and windows said there was no more memory and it crashed lol.... fixed my script after that.... thanks a lot for the help
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:58:11 AM by lydaan »

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 08:57:02 AM »
sub dig
   repeat
      *dig fool*
         return
; return       <---------------  don't need this :P

Well above is a minor leak as well... Think of it as a stack of paper every time you "gosub" or "for" or "repeat"  you add a sheet of paper on the stack.  When you return or end the loop legally via "break" or loop condition met  you remove a sheet of paper.

So above code you gosub dig +1 piece of paper,  you Repeat +2 paper in stack,  you Return inside repeat loop -1 paper, Stack now = 1.  You cannot ever now remove that one piece of paper as you didn't end the Repeat,Until loop.  Call dig again exit same way again stack now +2 that can never be removed.  IE slowly using unrecoverable memory. = memory leak.

All you have to do is think how can i write it so that I only EVER need a SINGLE return in the sub.   IE have a valid exit condition on the repeat until loop.  Here are a couple ways of doing this...

sub dig
   set %ExitLoop = NO
   repeat
      *dig fool*
         set %ExitLoop = YES
   until %ExitLoop = YES
return  
sub dig
   repeat
      *dig fool*
   until  There_is_no in #journal
return  

Now you may say I needed that repeat until never ending as thats the main loop of my script. I always create a mainloop outside of the actual action ie

gosub Mainloop
Halt

Sub Mainloop
  set %HaltScript #false
  repeat
      gosub Dig    
      ; Check for halt conditions .. not logged in etc
  until %HaltScript = #True
Return

sub Dig
    ; dig stuff
return

TO Be clear ... in most scripts posted you will find these minor memory leaks even by some of the best scriptors.  Almost every scriptors take shortcuts like this ... and as you said prior it doesn't really matter as you are not running continuous 24x7 x 365  and you have boat loads of ram.    But I think its good practice to have a logical flow and that way your scripts perform how you expect...

The main pitfalls to avoid  is:

- REcursion --- Dont have a sub call itself with out an obvious way to exit (thats when the memory leaks pile up fast)
- GOTO -- do not goto out of a sub
- RETURN -- try to have only one exit point "REturn" from a sub preferably at the end ..   ie sub..code..return   not  sub .. code.. if x=y return.. code

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:05:09 AM by Endless Night »

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 09:05:22 AM »
so... speed is what i was after... i wanted it to move to the nextvein as fast as possible without glitching, and I found wait 6 ( in the middle of the dig loop) to be the minimum to read the journal without it doubling the if check result... so I guess I'd like to do something like:

sub dig
   repeat
      *dig*
      wait 6
      if there_is_no in #journal
         {
         set %something #true
         goto skipwait
         }
      wait 8
      skipwait:
   until %something = #true
return

------------

I dont know if you saw my edit above... posted it as you were posting... but my client crashed last night after 4 solid days of running the script...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:07:22 AM by lydaan »

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 09:15:42 AM »
so... speed is what i was after... i wanted it to move to the nextvein as fast as possible without glitching, and I found wait 6 ( in the middle of the dig loop) to be the minimum to read the journal without it doubling the if check result... so I guess I'd like to do something like:

sub dig
   repeat
      *dig*
      wait 6
         {
         set %something #true
         goto skipwait
         }
      wait 8
      skipwait:
   until %something = #true
return

------------

I dont know if you saw my edit above... posted it as you were posting... but my client crashed last night after 4 solid days of running the script...

The problem you will have here is how about if thier are more than one journal entries posted and the one you are looking for is older you wont see it. ??

sub dig
   set %something #false    ; set exit condition negative
   repeat
      set %MyJINDEX  #Jindex     ; set journal start point
      *dig*
      set %WaitTime #Systime + 6    ; set max wait time
      set %OreFOund #False
      repeat
        if #Jindex > %MyJindex     ; new journal entry
            {
             set %MyEndJindex #Jindex
             For %c %MyJindex   %MyEndJindex    ; Loop though all the new journal entries
                {
                scanJournal %c
                      set %something #true
                if  .......  in #Jounral                ; set condition of text for ore found so exits journal wait loop
                     set %OreFound #True
                }
            set %MyJindex %MyEndJindex
            }
       until #systime >= %WaitTime  || %something = #true  || %OreFound = #True

until %something = #true
return

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:20:27 AM by Endless Night »

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 09:21:46 AM »
The problem you will have here is how about it thier are more than one journal entries posted and the one you are looking for is older you wont see it. ??

yes... that was *make believe code* going to work on a waitfor journal update sub or insert.... as I said somewhere up top before... scan journal is something I want to master... but have not taken the time to yet... I'll get it.

Thank you for that example, I know I will be looking at that when writing the journal wait/scan journal stuff...

the ultimate goal with this dig loop is to ratchet it down as tight as possible, and I really need to do some tests on for loops, or possibly multiple singular scanjournals nested in ifs... not sure what i want to do here, and not really looking forward to it, as I'm starting to get burned out.

my miner script is getting to the point that little changes keep breaking it, and I'm getting pissed...

^^^^^^^ I keep fixing things and my little crap fixes break...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:28:22 AM by lydaan »

Tags: finditem  lpc