Author Topic: Secret way to detect hidden players?  (Read 3792 times)

Offline AliTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Ali has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Secret way to detect hidden players?
« on: April 12, 2023, 02:31:57 PM »
I was stealthing around Fel Delucia to check on people farming eggs and I came across a group that is obviously scripting, but what threw me for a loop is they instantly start spamming guards when I get within a certain range and stop the moment I step away despite being in stealth the whole time... Is there some clever way to detect stealthed people that isn't tracking? It's too instant to be that and I tried polymorphing to a monster and didn't make a difference.

Editing to add: There doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in their backpacks. They're putting their loot inside a trapbox and i notice they are periodically setting the trapbox off for some reason. Also, tried hiring an NPC and walking it near them and that does not trigger the behavior. Range of detection is 9 tiles.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 02:53:40 PM by Ali »

Offline Gaderian

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Gaderian barely matters.Gaderian barely matters.
  • Respect: +50
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Secret way to detect hidden players?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 07:31:01 PM »
my guess would be that these are run as the same player. So they ignore their own group of players. If each character takes turns using Tracking, there would be practically no delay for the group. Once tracked successfully, they get a gump that moves around as an arrow that shows where you are.
They are tracking players - not monsters, which is why the monster doesn't trigger the guard calling action.
"Go ahead ask me: 'Should I use hard waits or timers?'"
You say:"Should I"
Gaderian:"Timers!"
You Say:"use hard waits or timers?"

The serious side of timer use is illustrated here: http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=12094.msg101926#msg101926

However, every time I go back and look at this [AutoLooter] script, I realize I had wrote it in my zen state of EUO scripting - so it makes my brain hurt.

Offline AliTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Ali has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 09:03:09 PM »
Clarifying that I tried monster form and animal form and they were still calling guards immediately. It didn't change their behavior.

Tracking has a 10 second cooldown and monsters, animals, and players are three separate checks and it's not 100% detection rate. Sure they could be tracking at all times and then using the distance of the arrow from their characters to enact a detection radius, but I would think they would need a ridiculous amount of accounts to have tracking coverage of all three forms at the rate they were displaying. Another detail is that each character had separate zones of detection, i.e., i could trigger one character and the others would stay silent. Still doable with information sharing between clients, but just makes it even more of a stretch as all of this requires so much effort for a guards script that can be done much more simply (and much less obviously) just by using journal scan. I don't get it.

I vaguely recall methods of inference using Crystal Ball of Knowledge and Detect Hidden skill to glean nearby characters by the difficulty message (I might be conflating this with something else), but they did not have anything like that in their packs. Maybe there's a similar method? In their packs they had runebooks, atlases, house placing tools, interior decorator tool, mastery book, ethies, luck statues, a couple of them had pirating tools (torch, ramrod, swab), green thorns for the event, and a trapbox that they were putting eggs and loot into. Their suits were standard luck suits, only item with any sort of potential interaction was spell focusing sash which they were all wearing. All three were tamers with 2 cus and a fire steed.

This has intrigued me so much I even double checked to make sure clients don't receive packets from the server with information about nearby stealthers and I can confirm they do not. At least passively, I dunno if there is a call and response packet interaction possible and I'm not educated enough on UO packet encryption to make much headway on that theory.

Anyway, next time I see 'em, I'll bring my own tracker to check for additional characters and also try running straight at them from off screen as I might've been giving them enough time to catch me on tracking.

Offline altiric

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • altiric has no influence.
  • Respect: +4
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 09:09:09 PM »
Only thing ive ever known to see hidden players was i believe the first version of razor, which had an option to see and target hidden players. I cant remember if hiding was changed because of it, or the creator took it out in an attempt to become a valid 3rd party tool, but it would suggest there is some method of seeing hidden players through packets.

Offline AliTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Ali has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 05:59:00 PM »
+1
Okay, bit silly but I figured it out. It turns out that the maximum range you can see other peoples' overhead text is 9 tiles, which is much shorter than I thought, and they're actually just spamming guards constantly. This makes it appear as if they just started talking when you get in range -_- Terrible quality video to illustrate lol: https://i.imgur.com/tgjaOEd.mp4

Offline Neo

• Prime Program
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Neo barely matters.Neo barely matters.
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 03:07:41 AM »
Never refuse an invitation.
Never resist the unfamiliar.
Never fail to be polite.
And never outstay your welcome.

Offline AliTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Ali has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 06:07:47 PM »

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 06:09:53 PM »
This happened another time, some people can see it and some cannot. It is blank for me as well. I used my mod powers to check and he did indeed add something but I don't want to abuse and post it. Not sure why this happens from time to time.

Offline AliTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Ali has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 07:06:53 PM »
Very strange! Tried on multiple browsers and computers. Nada.

Offline Neo

• Prime Program
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 07:38:56 PM »
Never fail to be polite.

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 01:36:08 PM »
Wow, this is spooky... Let me repost here, let me know if it works this time:

"Was reading this topic and felt I was having a dej�-vu. Then I remembered: I saw this (almost) same conversation between you guys at Orion's Discord server... Hahaha...

Still, good to have this here for reference! :)"

Weird, if I quote it, I can see it. It was blank until I hit quote. For those that cannot see, here is his post.

Offline Neo

• Prime Program
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 09:07:29 AM »
Wow, this is spooky... Let me repost here, let me know if it works this time:

"Was reading this topic and felt I was having a dej�-vu. Then I remembered: I saw this (almost) same conversation between you guys at Orion's Discord server... Hahaha...

Still, good to have this here for reference! :)"

Weird, if I quote it, I can see it. It was blank until I hit quote. For those that cannot see, here is his post.

Thanks Crisis! :)
Never fail to be polite.

Offline AliTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Ali has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 12:59:49 PM »
Thanks Crisis! :)

Eyyy, I can see you now :)

Tags: